What if the 2nd passenger in a double cabin can't come at the last minute?

DonnaK

Donna--Didn't you book through a TA? If you did (and this is another reason to use a TA) your TA should be dealing with all of this for you. You shouldn't have to deal directly with Princess.

Sorry but I would rather handle it directly with Princess than go through a middleman, so I never use TAs anymore. No TA ever did anything for me that I couldn't do better and more efficiently for myself. I prefer being proactive and taking care of myself.

Thanks to everyone else who responded, especially those with personal experience in similar situations. I still can't accept that Princess would keep the no-show's fare and then reticket the person who does go as a single. It is very unfair policy that other cruiselines don't seem to follow, and would prevent me from cruising with Princess and to go back to RCI next time. I just wish there was consistency so I knew for sure what to expect, and then it wouldn't be such a gamble.

If a person cancels just prior to a cruise and informs the cruise line, the remaining party will be repriced at a higher rate, even if there is insurance paid to the person not taking the cruise. If the party is a no show, you stand a chance you will be repriced but my experience was that the ticked was not repriced. With choice number one, you will pay higher. With the second choice it can go either way.

When "Princess" insurance pays out for a covered cancellation penalty, that money does not come from Princess, it comes from the insurance company underwriter. Does that makes a difference to you?

Good point. I'll amend my comment to say that, if Princess is keeping the no-show's fare, they shouldn't have any right IMHO to charge a third fare. But if Princess is giving a future cruise credit because somebody cancelled for an uncovered reason, then I can see them recouping that loss from the passenger who is travelling. I just think that charging a third fare is unjust enrichment. But I only got a B+ in contracts, so don't take my word for it.:p

We were on RCI a couple of years ago with 3 cabins booked and one of the people couldn't go at the last minute. They didn't change anything money wise even after we told them. He lost his fare, his cabin mate''s fare stayed as it was since they still had full fare and the OBC stayed with the cabin since they still were paid. It makes no sense for a cruise line to reprice when they already have full double fare for that cabin. The no show is the only one who's out of pocket.

I agree with that. But Princess apparently does not.

Question...I just want to get it all straight from these responses as I may be facing this situation and I intend to cruise if my friend has to cancel: If the second person is cancelling due to a reason covered by insurance (and they took insurance which in this particular case was a policy via the travel agent, not Princess insurance), then they just deal directly with the insurance company and say nothing to Princess (and the insurance company does not say anything to Princess?), and I board and say say nothing unless they contact me, and I plead ignorance?Thanks!
That is actually a different scenario. If your friend has to cancel AND has insurance which covers it, one of the requirements to file a claim involves timely notice to the cruiseline. In that case, you will be re-fared, but if YOU also have insurance, your insurance covers the increase in your fare in most policies.

I just think that charging a third fare is unjust enrichment. But I only got a B+ in contracts, so don't take my word for it.
Better than my grade, as I never took the class :D....so lemme ask you this; why is it not considered unjust enrichment in the case of a full cancellation and the room is resold to another party. That constitutes four fares for one room.

That is actually a different scenario. If your friend has to cancel AND has insurance which covers it, one of the requirements to file a claim involves timely notice to the cruiseline. In that case, you will be re-fared, but if YOU also have insurance, your insurance covers the increase in your fare in most policies.

I think that's one reason Princess has this policy. The insurance company pays this increase in fare if both passengers have purchased it. So it serves to increase thier insurance sales which I'm sure is very profitable.

The re-fare also makes up for the lost revenue of a person not being onboard. Remember - only half of a passenger's revenue comes from thier initial cruise fare, the other is money spent onboard.

Archived