Pocket Knife

jerrytammy0721

The problem he will have is getting on the ship in ports with a pocket knife, that will cause a problem since the scanners will probably pick it up and set off the alarms. I have the same problem, my DH never goes anywhere without his, except on a cruise. He learned the hard way to leave it at home. ;)

Leave it at home. Why would he even need it on a cruise ship? What would it be used for? Sorry - I'm one of those who just doesn't understand the obsession with pocket knives. To my knowledge, the cruise ships use the same type of scanners as airports do. Even if his "necessary" knife makes it onboard in checked luggage, he could have a real problem trying to re-board at a POC if he's carrying it. You're scanned every time you re-board. It's a hassle you can easily prevent.

Hello All,

My Husband also carries his pocket knife. From the tooth pick to scissors we find all kinds of uses for it all the time.

We NEVER have a problem boarding the ship, only the airlines. Speaking of that....I have a pocket knife in my purse...in the same pocket as my cell phone, and they have never and I mean never pulled me over.

I say take it, pack it in your checked baggage and then carry it around.

The problem he will have is getting on the ship in ports with a pocket knife, that will cause a problem since the scanners will probably pick it up and set off the alarms. I have the same problem, my DH never goes anywhere without his, except on a cruise. He learned the hard way to leave it at home. ;)

I used to work with a guy that was in the generation of pocket knives. He had his 24/7. We kind of had fun with him about it...we adored him though and he knew it was in jest.

But the funny thing is....he got his laughs because that stupid pocket knife came in handy more times than any of us can count. We all traveled together for work for a few years and that stupid thing....at times, I don't know what we would have done without it.

After awhile, we didn't dare make fun of it anymore....one look from him and we were all reminded just how many times WE needed it....

There won't be a problem with him taking it....just make sure he leaves it in the suite when you go off the ship.

Dawn

I was called to security on the Golden for a pocket knife I had packed. They threw it out, whatever, I was using it for a wine key and bottle opener anyway. Funny thing was the guy next to me has a Rambo length knife packed and hes arguing with security saying he doesn't understand what the fuss is about and he needs it:eek:

I carry a small Swiss Army Knife on my key ring, and have never had any trouble. If I fly it goes in my carry on luggage.

john

Unless you meant you put it in your CHECKED luggage, you must be lucky. My husband flies maybe twice a year and has had his Swiss Army knife confiscated twice by TSA. They were the small ones on a keyring too. If you don't want to buy another one, it should go in checked luggage.

Leave it at home. Why would he even need it on a cruise ship? What would it be used for?

One common cruise tip is to zip tie luggage so you know if it's been opened. We've used the pocket knife to cut zip ties, open packaging for things we buy, etc.

I've never had a problem bringing a Swiss Army knife on to the cruise ship but I think we've kept in the checked luggage and leave it on the ship when at port.

I've never had a single problem carrying my pocketknife onboard a ship (15 cruises). I have it in my checked bags until we get off the plane and then it goes in my pocket. I put it in the little basket to go through the scanner each time, and no one has ever said a word about it. Back in my pocket after the scanner. I do think they have some concerns about pocketknives with more than a 3" blade, and mine is just under that.

fergie

Unless you meant you put it in your CHECKED luggage, you must be lucky. My husband flies maybe twice a year and has had his Swiss Army knife confiscated twice by TSA. They were the small ones on a keyring too. If you don't want to buy another one, it should go in checked luggage.

I am watching the Winter Games, and wrote in haste, but you are right, it should have read 'checked luggage'.

However, I did outsmart myself one time, and forgot, I will not tell however how I hid the knife, away from my keys, and out of X ray range.:)

One tip however, one time when we went ashore, we were scanned going into a secure building, so, I 'planted it' in the rose garden, until we came out.

john

Hi,

On last years cruise I was called to go down to security as there was a problem with one of our bags. The problem turned out to be my ‘Leatherman’, which I always take with us as our travelling tool kit. Security told me it was picked up on boarding by customs as a ‘bladed item’ and I explained it was a Leatherman tool. Security said it was OK if so long as the blade on the item was less than 3” long. When I got it out of the luggage and showed security the item there was no problem in keeping it.

Happy cruising

Chris

Pocket Knife Generation. Yep, I know what you mean. My dad

worked at PAL Blade Co. back in the 50s.

I grew up carrying a pocket knife, still do. I have many collectible

pocket knives from PAL Blade. WWII bayonets and several

combination knives which have blades stamped PAL and also

Remington...knives made after Remington bought PAL.

...anyway, I say if you fly...leave it home. The security hassles

are just not worth it. I found out the hard way and trashed one of

my favorites in order to board a flight.

....just sayin'.

:cool::cool::cool:

My husband was also pulled upon boarding for a tool with a blade in the luggage. They checked it for him, like they do alcohol, until the cruise was over. The blade has to be small and I think it actually says the size of the blade allowed in the cruise contract.

I carry a small Swiss Army knife ion my pocket wherever I go...except on a plane. The knife gets packed in my checked luggage. It returns to my pocket as soon as I reach my destination and claim my bags. I've never had a problem boarding a cruise ship on any of the 10 cruises I've taken.

When ever we travel, we bring a leather-man. When we fly we have to put it in with our checked bags. We never have had a problem bringing it aboard a cruise ship and have done so at least 20 times.

That said, we have been cruising with only carry-on as of late save the last cruise when carry-on was banned completely out of Canada.

We really miss the leather-man when we went carry-on only. Used it all the time for all sorts of missions, from wine, to opener, to knife.

Leave it at home. Why would he even need it on a cruise ship? What would it be used for? Sorry - I'm one of those who just doesn't understand the obsession with pocket knives. To my knowledge, the cruise ships use the same type of scanners as airports do. Even if his "necessary" knife makes it onboard in checked luggage, he could have a real problem trying to re-board at a POC if he's carrying it. You're scanned every time you re-board. It's a hassle you can easily prevent.

I have a small "leatherman" tool and a Swiss Army knife that I take on every cruise. I just pack them in my checked luggage.

With the two of them I have:

A small pair of pliers

A Phillips head screwdriver

A flat blade screwdriver

A knife

A nail file

A can opener

A cork screw

Tweezers

A toothpick

A small set of scissors

I've had occasion to use each of them one time or another traveling. On the last cruise, our traveling companions had a piece of jewelry break. My little pliers were just the ticket to repair it.

And of course, the cork screw comes in handy on every cruise!

Lets get serious. What about scissors? You can carry scissors on a plane but not a small pocket knife? If anyone wants to do damage, that person can use a pen, scissors, almost anything that is.......

I don't believe it is an obsession with a pocket knife. It is a tool and does come in handy at times. So, a question now is - 'what time?'

Another 'joke' is being scanned on re-boarding. Do they really pay attention when they are scanning? Not really. It is a formality. You and I know and see that all the time.

I, also, always carry a small Swiss Army knife. It's beyond me how TSA considers it to be a security risk. On occasion I have wanted to use it before I got my checked baggage so now I take two when I travel. I bury one in my carry-on and pack one in my checked baggage. I buy them on ebay for about $3 each so it's no big loss to me if they find the one in my carry-on. I have cruised about 40 times and never been questioned about my knives (I also have a big Swiss Army knife in my checked luggage). With all the knives aboard the ship (can you say steak knife?) what would be the point in worrying about a passenger bringing a knife onboard?

Archived