Looking for evening wear

GENIESWISHES

I am always light hearted, and honestly can’t believe I haven’t known about this forum, I think it’s a great resource! I found the forum after I noticed that a member was referencing one of our dresses, couldn’t resist making a visit.

We primarily offer Hawaiian themed apparel, I do textile design, cutting, working on grading with our pattern maker, etc. So if I was pressed I would say we do manufacturing, wholesale and retail (we have a Web as well as a showroom in south cali). While we are small in employee size, I am a vendor for the likes of Adidas, MTV networks, comedy central, etc. But we simply have the nicest and best retail customers.

Reality is that I really need a major break from working, hence my interest in a cruise of some type.

Don't let having to get "dressed up" stop you from cruising. These days most ships are very casual. I love cruising because you can get as dressed up as you want, or be as casual as you want. It really is all up to you.:D I too have shopped at lots of thrift stores, I love them because you never know when you might find something really "special". I once found some really beautiful antique beaded bags at a thrift store in Philadelphia, PA all for about $3-$5. When I got home I did some searching and found out each of my bags were worth at least $25 to $200 each!!! Recently, I found a beautiful white, straw, vintage clutch at a consignment store for $12! It's sailing with me on my upcoming cruise. Yes, I do shop for new things, but I must say I really do like vintage and if I could afford to shop like a movie star, I would buy nothing but vintage evening gowns.

I found a Kate Spade handbag at the S.A. Paid $7 ! :D

It still had a note in one of the pockets. "Hope this will match your shoes"!

Yes I do buy new clothes all the time. Unless it is a really big deal will go & spend the $500 on the new dresss for the big event. Now that I know when it comes crusie time & the formal nights (yes I know I don't have to be so formal) I can go check out S.A or resell shop & get a few gowns or after 5 dresses for all 5 nights of my cruise!

Just because I've gotten older that dosen't mean I still don't want to dress up like a Cinderella!:p

I don't shop thrift stores much partly because we live in such a rural area that it would be just my luck to wear a 'find' and have someone recognize the clothing as something they donated!

I've actually never bought clothing at one, though I do sometimes find books. Evening wear is the one thing I might consider, since cruises are the only reason I have to wear an evening gown and I'm not likely to see someone from home then.

I am doing a major (MAJOR!) closet cleaning right now. I already have two trash bags and two boxes of stuff to donate, as well as things to throw away. And I'm only about half-way through. I am only donating things that I think is possible for someone else to wear.

I knew it was time when I found my Z Cavarecchi (sp?) tapered khakis from the 80's stilll hanging in the closet. I adored those pants back in the daI actually had two identicall pairs. So out of style and I can't wear them now anyway--I was tiny back then.

Do they have larger(14, 16) sizes as well? I have always pictured thrift stores as having clothes from the "society" ladies and they are all much smaller than me. That is why I have never really even looked at clothes at them. We did find a sofa for my daughters new apartment for $40. A little febreeze, sunshine and sofa cover finished it off. It looks great!

Do they have larger(14, 16) sizes as well? I have always pictured thrift stores as having clothes from the "society" ladies and they are all much smaller than me. That is why I have never really even looked at clothes at them. We did find a sofa for my daughters new apartment for $40. A little febreeze, sunshine and sofa cover finished it off. It looks great!

Yes they do! I'm of the larger size and got a beautiful dress at Goodwill.

You have to hunt harder for them by they are there.

I'm lucky to live in an area that had a surplus of thrift stores so can go to many in one day.

Hi,:) yes they have all sizes. I am a 14/16. It just depends on the size

of the people donating. "Society Ladies"? They come in all shapes

and sizes too.....

And if you want to branch out, consignment shops have some great

bargains too. I don't believe they are considered "Thrift stores". I usually

think of home items in a thrift store. But maybe if I google it I can get

an "official definition";)

I don't shop thrift stores much partly because we live in such a rural area that it would be just my luck to wear a 'find' and have someone recognize the clothing as something they donated!

I've actually never bought clothing at one, though I do sometimes find books. Evening wear is the one thing I might consider, since cruises are the only reason I have to wear an evening gown and I'm not likely to see someone from home then.

I am doing a major (MAJOR!) closet cleaning right now. I already have two trash bags and two boxes of stuff to donate, as well as things to throw away. And I'm only about half-way through. I am only donating things that I think is possible for someone else to wear.

I knew it was time when I found my Z Cavarecchi (sp?) tapered khakis from the 80's stilll hanging in the closet. I adored those pants back in the daI actually had two identicall pairs. So out of style and I can't wear them now anyway--I was tiny back then.

OMG! You are like my twin! I too was cleaning out my closet, but this was about 12 yrs. ago. I too found, way in the back of my closet, a pair of old Z Cavarecchi pants. They had a really high waistline and tapered legs! They were also from the 80s, and guess what? They had actually disintegrated!:eek: I'm not kidding! When I pulled them out and took them off the hanger, they just started falling apart and the fabric just turned into dust!:eek: It was so crazy. I've never had anything like that happen before and I've got lots of real old (vintage) clothes. Anyways, like you said, I wouldn't have been able to get into them anyway!:eek: I too was very tiny in the 80s, now I'm a tad bit (okay alot) ROUNDER!:D

OMG! You are like my twin! I too was cleaning out my closet, but this was about 12 yrs. ago. I too found, way in the back of my closet, a pair of old Z Cavarecchi pants. They had a really high waistline and tapered legs! They were also from the 80s, and guess what? They had actually disintegrated!:eek: I'm not kidding! When I pulled them out and took them off the hanger, they just started falling apart and the fabric just turned into dust!:eek: It was so crazy. I've never had anything like that happen before and I've got lots of real old (vintage) clothes. Anyways, like you said, I wouldn't have been able to get into them anyway!:eek: I too was very tiny in the 80s, now I'm a tad bit (okay alot) ROUNDER!:D

Yeah, it's scary to keep things that long--it must be over 20 years on my Z's. They're actually in good shape, except the one I wore the most has frayed bottoms. They were a normal waist, flat front khaki, very slim fitting, sizes 26 & 27!!!. The 27's were more comfy so I wore them more. I can kind of get them up, but zipped--never. I never heard of clothes actually disintegrating, unless they were very, very old.

I'm now up to 3 trashbags to donate as well as everything I'm throwing out, and I haven't gotten into some drawers in my bedroom armoirs that hold clothes I never wear.

Well, I haven't worn most of this stuff for ages either, though I hate to admit I am giving away a few things that still have the tags on them. And, I'm still probably keeping too much; some if-I-lose-ten-pounds things, some that need altering, some I just can't quite let go of. I also have a pile of maybes and a few things I am keeping as representative of a certain era--my 'keepsake' clothes.

Hi there,

I love Opping (op shopping), you can find the best individual pieces and some home made too. Found a sunshine yellow 50s suit the other day for $15 but one size too small :(

You just have to look all the time :)

Yes!! I wear a size 16....I was an 18 and I found things in that size too. The thrift store that I frequent even has a plus section! :D I have the day off tomorrow and that's where I'm going. I like to go often!

I was so excited about my recent thrift store find I had to share.

My hubby and I frequently donate clothes and household items to the vets society in our area. But, recently I have recommitted myself to a healthy lifestyle and have dropped several dress sizes. I have two pairs of jeans that now fit (20+ that don't). So I wanted to pick up a pair or two for now, not knowing what my size will finally be when I reach my fitness goals.

Well I did not have any luck finding jeans but, I found a great dress. Its new with tags from coldwater creek. The dress is lovely and sophisticated. It also happened to be 1/2 off day! Total cost $3!

My hubby and I frequently donate clothes and household items to the vets society in our area. But, recently I have recommitted myself to a healthy lifestyle and have dropped several dress sizes. I have two pairs of jeans that now fit (20+ that don't). So I wanted to pick up a pair or two for now, not knowing what my size will finally be when I reach my fitness goals.

Well I did not have any luck finding jeans but, I found a great dress. Its new with tags from coldwater creek. The dress is lovely and sophisticated. It also happened to be 1/2 off day! Total cost $3!

I live for these kinds of stories!:D:D:D

That's awesome!!!!! What a great find! Also congratulations on your healthy lifestyle. I've committed myself to the same thing and it's a great feeling.

:D

I found another dress today! The cutest dress and it was only 5 dollars. It's a size 14 so I can get it on but the zipper is a little tight. I know within a few months I'll be able to wear it though. I now have 2 cute dresses! :D

Archived