Ncl - cunard

SeaPeaInn

We have recently canceled a 26 day Cunard cruise NY-NY and booked NCL Sun 26 days Dover to Port Canaveral. Hoping this was the right decision. Were put off by the strict dress code on Cunard.

We had an AA on the QM2 (balcony with anytime dining). Booked an AD on the Sun at a lower price. Any thoughts? Any experience with Cunard?

Paul

We have recently canceled a 26 day Cunard cruise NY-NY and booked NCL Sun 26 days Dover to Port Canaveral. Hoping this was the right decision. Were put off by the strict dress code on Cunard.

We had an AA on the QM2 (balcony with anytime dining). Booked an AD on the Sun at a lower price. Any thoughts? Any experience with Cunard?

Paul

The Queen Mary 2 is a beautiful ship, a true work of art. We were on her for a 4 night cruise and as nice s she was that was enough time for us. She is an ocean liner as opposed to cruise ship so it is a lot more lay back...having been on both lines and considering the length of time, I personally think you made the right decision.

Paul

You will find NCL to be a more relaxed atmosphere (socialy speaking).

Of course with it being a 26 day cruise the age demographic will be higher on either ..

Can you swing the AC on the Sun ? That would be a perfect suite for that cruise ( no wind ) ;)

We like NCL because of the freestyle dining and the freestyle dress.

However, we do have an upcoming cruise booked on the QM2 just for the experience. I'm not thrilled about the dress code, but to experience her at least once will be something to talk about. I do wish the itinerary was more exciting, but again, for us this will be more about the ship and the overall experience. For what we are paying for a balcony, we could have had a full suite on Norwegian.

I have sailed the QM2 and the Sun and would be very happy to sail either again, especially for 26 days!

I would say that one of the largest differences in onboard experience is in the entertainmnet department. Like the dress code, it is much less formal on NCL.

If you are looking for an overall more casual experience, I think you have made the right choice.

Have you sailed Cunard or NCL previously?

However, we do have an upcoming cruise booked on the QM2 just for the experience. I'm not thrilled about the dress code, but to experience her at least once will be something to talk about. I do wish the itinerary was more exciting, but again, for us this will be more about the ship and the overall experience. For what we are paying for a balcony, we could have had a full suite on Norwegian.

Oh absolutely .. If you dont try new things , whats the point to it all ;)

I hear ya...no bargains on Cunard.....LOL..Funny my wife and I were just discussing the same cruise you will be going on....The experience will be great...and your cruise is just long enough...check our pictures.

Zimmerjulie -

We have never sailed Cunard and only sailed NCL years ago on Norway. Have 26 cruises in total.

Really turned off to Cunard by what is called the "fashion police" on that board. One person said they took 3 tuxes and 2 business suits on a 10 day cruise. Wishes he had also taken a sports coat.

Paul

Paul,

Whether this works for you or not will depend on what you expect to get out of your cruise and how many times you have cruised..Cunard is the creme of the crop for service, food and formalities, but very stuffy. I know a few who have cruised them. I am not one. NCL is just the opposite: layed back, relaxed, friendly and geared to middle America. I personally love the Sun, so do a lot of others...If you go and expect to have a good time, but do not expect the constant pampering you would get on Cunard you should have a wonderful cruise.

Nita

I agree and hope to cruise Cunard next year just to say we did it..

Nita

I've cruised on NCL (once) and Cunard (5 times) and enjoyed them both, even though the experience was completely different. It's true that Cunard is much more formal and that you have to dress for dinner in the main restaurants. But I found that one can meet lots of friendly and interesting people on both lines, which to me is key to enjoying the cruise. After all, people on both sides of the pond like to hang out in the pub over a beer!

Cheers,

Ted

I agree that these are two totally different experiences.

Loved the Queen Mary 2 for the beauty of the ship and the uniqueness of the experience. But it was a lot of angst with dress code and European expectations -- not that that's a *bad* thing, just a different experience. The entertainment on board was top notch and we thoroughly enjoyed our fellow passengers.

The Sun is also a beautiful ship and quite enjoyable. It will be a much more relaxing atmosphere. Sounds like you probably made the right choice but if you have the chance to sail QM2, I hope you take it. It's definitely an experience to be savored and enjoyed.

Have a great time!

Paul

We have sailed on the QM2 twice, and the Norwegian Jade three times. The dress code on Cunard is undoubtedly "strict" and formal, but we loved both cruises....one was 6 days in Norway, and the other 13 days in the Caribbean from and to NYC. We did not find these cruises to be "stuffy", particularly the Caribbean one, which was a hot weather cruise, whereas Norway was not and more time spent indoors on the ship.

Don't think we would consider 26 nights on Cunard though, especially if that included one or two T/A crossings.

26 nights on NCL would be much more bearable as it is much more relaxed and dress is more or less what you want, within reason...and most people do make an effort. The food is not so good, but we regard that as a trade-off to get other aspects of Freestyle that appeal to us.

If you were asking about a 10 night cruise, our choice would possibly be Cunard, dependent upon itinery, but definitely not for a 26 nighter.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I think we made the right choice by switching to NCL. Just too formal on Cunard for that long a cruise. Would have been 9 or 10 formal nights.

My wifes work required weekly formal dress for about 8 months a year for several years. It became too much of a good thing. Formal dress became work clothes. Had enough of it for this lifetime.

We are looking forward to our first NCL cruise. Thanks again.

Paul

PNickel,

It does sound like you have made the right choice if the smaller ships are good for you.

To expand on some of the other themes that are being developed in this thread:

orignally posted by hamrag

We have sailed on the QM2 twice, and the Norwegian Jade three times. The dress code on Cunard is undoubtedly "strict" and formal, but we loved both cruises....one was 6 days in Norway, and the other 13 days in the Caribbean from and to NYC. We did not find these cruises to be "stuffy", particularly the Caribbean one, which was a hot weather cruise, whereas Norway was not and more time spent indoors on the ship.

I agree with hamrag.

My QM2 cruise, er, voyage, a 6 night transatlantic, was not stuffy at all...and I am very sensitive to stuffiness. (That is the main reason I am in no hurry to sail HAL again).

I found my fellow passengers on the QM2 to be friendly and unpretentious, down to every last person I talked to on the cruise, which even tops my last trip with NCL:p. The crew and officers were equally gracious and unstuffy. People partied in the disco all night and the pub was also hopping till all hours. Of course, that would be different for port intensive itineraries, I am sure.

I would say that if you are expecting impeccable service on the large ships of today's Cunard, you would be disappointed. My waiter brought me the wrong thing several nights and I was comletely missed on several passes by the waiters at the high tea event. Man, I was in a hurry to get my hands on a scone, too! The supplies for the watercolor classes that they conducted had not been provided to the instructor (they were not onboard), so she used some leftovers and we shared small palates. Other things not worth mentioning were not spot on, also, so your extra money is not buying you perfection.

Never once was I pampered on Cunard, thankfully:D. I suppose if you sought it out, like in the spa, for example, you would get that kind of appropriate treatment, but there was no large-scale pandering or subservient posturing or other such stereotypical upper-crustiness.

It was delightful in many ways, just as NCL is.

Nita, I think we both love a lot of the same things about NCL, so I hope your experience with Cunard is similar to mine and that you enjoy it as much as my grandmother and I did!

Archived