Hurricane Katrina Tours-NOLA

caesar68

You watched it on the news, huh?

If you say so. :rolleyes:

So can you show me the numbers proving that the magnitude of the cost (both in human lives and less importantly in capital) of Katrina was in Mississippi was anywhere close to what it was in New Orleans?

Making matters worse is the fact that the disaster in New Orleans was primarily man-made and entirely avoidable.

Our worst-case scenario here is a major hurricane running up the mouth of Tampa Bay, but who do you think's going to get the bulk of the coverage in that case, Sarasota/Bradenton or Tampa?

Hey I'd be happy to admit my error if you can show where I'm wrong. What were the damage totals and how many people died in MS?

Further, despite the claims here, there was a lot of coverage of Biloxi, Pass Christian, and Waveland in the days following the storm.

It also doesn't pay to assume things about people you don't know. ;) I spent a lot of time helping some close friends gut and rebuild homes in Long Beach.

So can you show me the numbers proving that the magnitude of the cost (both in human lives and less importantly in capital) of Katrina was in Mississippi was anywhere close to what it was in New Orleans?

Making matters worse is the fact that the disaster in New Orleans was primarily man-made and entirely avoidable.

Our worst-case scenario here is a major hurricane running up the mouth of Tampa Bay, but who do you think's going to get the bulk of the coverage in that case, Sarasota/Bradenton or Tampa?

I do not have to prove anything to you. I live here. I had dozens of co-workers and friends lost their homes including my mothers. I lost 3 very good friends. 2 of the them their bodies have never been found. So until you know the the facts from first hand experience it would be best to just keep your mouth shut. :mad:

I am sure eventually this thread will get bumped but I am hoping to get some quick responses...

I am looking for some information about the Hurricane Katrina tours offered in New Orleans. I heard there are some good ones and some not so good ones.....Looking for some feedback from NOLA visitors or residents.

Thanks!!!

Sigh. I hope you found some tours of interest and sorry about all the negative posts.

almost like wanting to visit where the twin towers used to be. why would anyone want to do that?? oh, wait, tons of people do every day

When we did the Blogger's Cruise last year, Carnival organized a volunteer day the day before we left. It was through the organization Beacon of Hope and we worked on cleaning up a park that was under something like 8-10 feet of water. They still have volunteer opportunities available and they assist those affected by Katrina.

I know you were looking for information on tours but this might be something different to experience if you have the time. :)

I suppose that you could start a new thread about Carnival cruises. This one is about NOLA tours. And where Katrina actually hit.:p

Well, nice to see you have a grasp of the obvious. My point was, why is it in the Carnival forum. There is a New Orleans forum where this would be a lot more appropriate.

Here's a crazy idea.

Anyone want to talk about Carnival Cruises?;)

Feel free to,

There are plenty of other threads about that, this one happens to be

about pre/post cruise NOLA tours/Katrina/ and the devestating effects of Katrina on the

Gulf Coast region.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully everyone will agree that it was terrible disaster for all,

and not get into a match up of who got it worse NOLA or the Mississippi

Gulf Coast.

Yes, NOLA had the majority of the news coverage, for several reasons.

Yes, Mississippi was in many cases virtually forgotten because of the news

coverage of NOLA.

I talked with many people that had no idea Mississippi was even effected.

One sad thing about the whole situation is how so much of it was political.

Bush was the bad guy and Nagin got re-elected. I will never understand that.

Well, nice to see you have a grasp of the obvious. My point was, why is it in the Carnival forum. There is a New Orleans forum where this would be a lot more appropriate.

In the upper right hand corner of any post there is a little red triangle. If you have a problem with a post or the whole thread all you have to do is select it and make a complaint to a mod. If they feel that your complaint is valid the offending post or thread will be removed.

In the upper right hand corner of any post there is a little red triangle. If you have a problem with a post or the whole thread all you have to do is select it and make a complaint to a mod. If they feel that your complaint is valid the offending post or thread will be removed.

No, I don't have to do that. I can also feel free to comment on the thread. Which is exactly what I did.

But thank you for assuming you were in position to tell me what to do!:)

I talked with many people that had no idea Mississippi was even effected.

One sad thing about the whole situation is how so much of it was political.

Bush was the bad guy and Nagin got re-elected. I will never understand that.

The media coverage of New Orleans was often incorrect and a disservice to the city, particularly focusing on bad things as if that was the only news. There are many reasons for this including trying to make the administration not look so bad for screwing up.

The media did as much, if not more, to hurt the city attempting to recover.

Didn't Bush visit Mississippi first? Isn't that where Bush declared "Brownie, you're doing a helluva job"

There is a new mayor reelect; Nagin will soon be gone. No doubt years from now, some people will still think he is mayor.

Trent Lott decided a flood wasn't a flood and expected insurance companies to pay for his $750,000 under-insured house. Didn't he resign shortly after his Brother-In-Law and Nephew were indicted on Federal bribery charges?

Like it or not, the whole thing is very political, from the lowest local politician to the highest in the country.

Louisiana was not the only state affected by the storm and fewer people in Mississippi lost their homes. More people died in Louisiana. That makes no difference to those who did lose homes or lives. There was also damage and deaths in Florida and Alabama and other areas. What about them?

What any of the bickering has to do with whether or not someone should take a Katrina tour is irrelevant.

The media coverage of New Orleans was often incorrect and a disservice to the city, particularly focusing on bad things as if that was the only news. There are many reasons for this including trying to make the administration not look so bad for screwing up.

The media did as much, if not more, to hurt the city attempting to recover.

Didn't Bush visit Mississippi first? Isn't that where Bush declared "Brownie, you're doing a helluva job"

There is a new mayor reelect; Nagin will soon be gone. No doubt years from now, some people will still think he is mayor.

Trent Lott decided a flood wasn't a flood and expected insurance companies to pay for his $750,000 under-insured house. Didn't he resign shortly after his Brother-In-Law and Nephew were indicted on Federal bribery charges?

Like it or not, the whole thing is very political, from the lowest local politician to the highest in the country.

Louisiana was not the only state affected by the storm and fewer people in Mississippi lost their homes. More people died in Louisiana. That makes no difference to those who did lose homes or lives. There was also damage and deaths in Florida and Alabama and other areas. What about them?

What any of the bickering has to do with whether or not someone should take a Katrina tour is irrelevant.

Not soon enough in my opinion.

Maybe Landrieu can help.

Louisiana and New Orleans have a long way to go,

as does the rest of the Mississippi Gulf coast.

No, I don't have to do that. I can also feel free to comment on the thread. Which is exactly what I did.

But thank you for assuming you were in position to tell me what to do!:)

I was not telling you what to do. You seemed unaware of the procedure for requesting a thread be reviewed by a host. I was trying to be helpful. Sorry, I am sure that no here will ever try to assist you again.:rolleyes:

I was not telling you what to do. You seemed unaware of the procedure for requesting a thread be reviewed by a host. I was trying to be helpful. Sorry, I am sure that no here will ever try to assist you again.:rolleyes:

Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence. I've been on these boards for 2 1/2 years. And in that time, I have figured out how this incredibly complex system works.

No, nice try. You weren't trying to be helpful about "how the procedure works". You were making a condescending accusation that I shouldn't point out that this thread has absolutely no business in this forum. Nice to know you consume your thousands of posts with inappropriate and irrelevant comments on misplaced threads.

That's got to be really helpful to people coming here for information. Seriously, someone coming here for information about things to do in New Orleans should think to check the Carnival forum instead of the "Port of New Orleans" forum?

gee, thanks for the vote of confidence. I've been on these boards for 2 1/2 years. And in that time, i have figured out how this incredibly complex system works.

No, nice try. You weren't trying to be helpful about "how the procedure works". You were making a condescending accusation that i shouldn't point out that this thread has absolutely no business in this forum. Nice to know you consume your thousands of posts with inappropriate and irrelevant comments on misplaced threads.

That's got to be really helpful to people coming here for information. Seriously, someone coming here for information about things to do in new orleans should think to check the carnival forum instead of the "port of new orleans" forum?

rotflmao

Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence. I've been on these boards for 2 1/2 years. And in that time, I have figured out how this incredibly complex system works.

No, nice try. You weren't trying to be helpful about "how the procedure works". You were making a condescending accusation that I shouldn't point out that this thread has absolutely no business in this forum. Nice to know you consume your thousands of posts with inappropriate and irrelevant comments on misplaced threads.

That's got to be really helpful to people coming here for information. Seriously, someone coming here for information about things to do in New Orleans should think to check the Carnival forum instead of the "Port of New Orleans" forum?

In those 2½ years..have you noticed that it is someone from CC that moves a thread?

Until it is moved, it is here,and this is where people are commenting on it.

When it is moved, if someone wants to continue to comment on it, they can go to the other section of the boards.

The media didn't ignore where Katrina came ashore. The fact is the magnitude of the total damage and the toll of human lives was just significantly larger in New Orleans.

I live north of lake Pontchartrain in the New Orleans area. Our home was damaged by the tidal surge of Katrina ...not by the failure of levees.

you are right....let's hope that concern is remains directed to lives and human suffering...not to the amount of and degree of ...."stuff".

I never cried for the loss of my stuff....I cried for the loss of lives and the lack of response .....that was.. the story

Mississippi and Louisiana both suffered greatly in this storm :(

Let's never forget that we are ....."Americans first".....state residents second

Please everyone...stop bickering...;)

Archived