Should I book first cruise w/ Travel Agent or book online myself?

cards09

Hi,

I am planning my first cruise! I have looked at prices online (Delta/AA/Expedia/Priceline/etc) and gotten some quotes from Cruise Compete and a travel agent referred by a coworker. The travel agents' quotes are only $10-$50 cheaper than what is offered online. I am considering booking through Delta/AA so I can earn airmiles.

My question is... what are the benefits of booking through a travel agent for your first cruise? They are not much cheaper. Do they help you more with first-timer questions? Do they give you any extras?

Thanks!

Hi,

I am planning my first cruise! I have looked at prices online (Delta/AA/Expedia/Priceline/etc) and gotten some quotes from Cruise Compete and a travel agent referred by a coworker. The travel agents' quotes are only $10-$50 cheaper than what is offered online. I am considering booking through Delta/AA so I can earn airmiles.

My question is... what are the benefits of booking through a travel agent for your first cruise? They are not much cheaper. Do they help you more with first-timer questions? Do they give you any extras?

Thanks!

There is no benefit to booking with the agent that booked your cruise or any other agent. But you must consider the following:

1. If you have the ability to get there a day early do it.

2. When booking your return flight keep in mind that the ship may return to port at 7:30am but you may not be off the ship until much later & you need to get your luggage. I have seen the most relaxed cruisers go into stress overload to catch the return flight.

3. Maybe the most important - "Refer to #1" and remember this...

It does not matter who booked your cuise; airfare; rental car or whatever! The ship will be leaving with or without you regardless of the reason for your delay.

Hi,

Thanks!

Yes, they can help with first-timer questions, give you extras, and are a good back-up if things go wrong (like, my TA is trying to re-do flights when the airlines changed their itinerary).

But it really depends on you - -are you willing to do the research necessary to answer your questions, either by asking here or being in touch with the cruise line, and airline? Like, do you understand the tipping policy (and that tipping is extra, above any price you've been quoted). Do you understand what costs are not included in the quoted price, like alcohol, soft drinks, juices, excursions, spa services, etc. Is it a relatively simple cruise: in/out from the same city, flying to/from the same port, and so there aren't too many things that could go wrong with the flight? Do you understand what you need to know about travel insurance, and where and how to get it? (like, if you have a pre-existing health condition that you want covered by the insurance, you have to buy the insurance within a few days or weeks of booking), and so on.

As for the extras -- one extra you've already identified..sometimes they can give you a cheaper price. Sometimes they can give you OBC--OnBoard Credits, so you have things already paid for when you get on the ship. Sometimes they might have a bottle of wine in your stateroom for you. But not always.

So you'll have to decide for yourself which way you want to go. Some folks never have seen a TA; others rely on them; still others use them some of the time, but not all the time.

I agree with the above poster.

For the most part, if you are very comfortable doing it yourself, have very few questions, don't feel you'll require any help or handholding, then do it yourself.

Our first cruise, we didn't have a clue. We used a TA. After booking with TA, we found CC. After finding CC, TA was of no value. 8 cruises later we do almost all of it ourselves. We still have a TA but only because they are considered a friend and with no extra money out of our pocket, they earn a small living.

Thanks for the advice so far!

To specify, I was talking about booking the cruise, itself, through AA or Delta online (not just the flights).

I noticed a lot of ppl book through travel agents. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be missing out on some big perks that I didn't know about by booking by myself online.

Thanks for the advice so far!

To specify, I was talking about booking the cruise, itself, through AA or Delta online (not just the flights).

I noticed a lot of ppl book through travel agents. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be missing out on some big perks that I didn't know about by booking by myself online.

The biggest "gottcha" if you will is going to be working thru problems or price drops. If you use a TA (such as AA or Delta in this case) ANY booking problems, name changes, dining questions, you see the price has dropped and you want to apply for a refund or on board credit,,,,ALL of these issues will have to be dealt with thru AA or Delta. Once you book with any TA, all communications with the cruiseline have to dealt with directly thru your TA NOT with the cruiseline per contractual obligations.

I don't go to a steakhouse for seafood, I couldn't see myself going to an airline to book a cruise.

For us the issue is whether to go through an agent or directly through the cruise company (Norwegian - choosing a cruise isn't the issue, there is only one that suits our dates). The NCL website prices are significantly cheaper than what's been offered by the agent (around $600 total).

I am doing lots of research and pretty sure I know what we want, in terms of cabin choice etc. We can get good airfares online too.

The only advantage I could see of using an agent is we would be dealing with a local agent (we're in Australia, the cruise is an Alaskan one) and they're only a phone call away to deal with any problems before we leave.

First time around I didn't know what I was doing so used a TA recommended by a friend.

The first time she went to bat for me was a LONG time ago when I wanted to pay for my cruise with my Visa for a special Visa $100 savings. Cruise line (now defunct) said it couldn't be combined with the special pricing I had. She went to battle as there was nothing about that in the small print.

The cruise line finally said they couldn't give us the $100 credit but there was going to be something on board for us worth at least $100. Not sure what our 'surprise' would be, it turned out to be an invitation to dinner with the Captain. WOW...was that ever worth the $100!!! What an experience.

Over 15 years (and many trips) later, I still use the same TA. And she rewards my loyalty whenever she can.

And when I had a major problem, she was right there to fight with the cruise line and get me exactly what I wanted as recompense.

http://www.travelsnippetsandmore.com/2008/04/pre-trip-experience-from-hell.html

We are leaving on a family cruise next weekend. Historically, we had always booked our own cruise, flights, hotels, etc. One family member wanted us to use her TA so we tried it and it just reinforced the fact I won't use one again. The cruise price the TA gave was (to the penny) exactly the same as on the Cruise Line website. We wanted to fly to the departure city a day early because of the weather. The only hotel she recommended she announced was booked and she gave us no alternates. I don't think she even made an attempt to locate good airfares for us. I have read about TAs who pay for parking, give reduced fares, a bottle of wine or something; she gave us nothing but she did get the benefit of booking ten full fare cruises. A down side to the TA is that you can't access much information on the cruiseline website because the cruise was booked through the TA. I've heard there are good TAs, but you couldn't prove it through my experience.

There is no benefit to booking with the agent that booked your cruise or any other agent. But you must consider the following:

1. If you have the ability to get there a day early do it.

2. When booking your return flight keep in mind that the ship may return to port at 7:30am but you may not be off the ship until much later & you need to get your luggage. I have seen the most relaxed cruisers go into stress overload to catch the return flight.

3. Maybe the most important - "Refer to #1" and remember this...

It does not matter who booked your cuise; airfare; rental car or whatever! The ship will be leaving with or without you regardless of the reason for your delay.

Not at all the case. If you find an agent that's a high volume booker for a particular cruise line, they can provide such perks as on board credit, paid gratuities and other things. My TA pays my tips, provides a bottle or two of my favorite wine, provides an on board credit, and dinner for two at one of the specialty restaurants. You don't get any of that when you book directly through the cruise line.

I recommend using a TA. If you book directly and something goes wrong or you need to change something, trying to get what you need is a P-A-I-N. But a travel agent will do all that for you. Also, TA's want your business, especially right now when more and more people are booking directly, so most of them will do what it takes to keep you happy. That has been my experience, at least.

Archived