I need Cruise Insurance HELP!!!

ladyj3641

I'm going on my 2nd cruise, and instead of buying insurance through Carnival like I did last time, I've been looking up travel insurance policies online and they have me confused!

What should I be looking for? Do any of these cover if we should miss the boat in a port?

Any advice you can give me would be MUCH appreciated!!

I'm going on my 2nd cruise, and instead of buying insurance through Carnival like I did last time, I've been looking up travel insurance policies online and they have me confused!

What should I be looking for? Do any of these cover if we should miss the boat in a port?

Check out tripinsurancestore dot com. You can call the good folks at the 1800 number or you can do an on-line chat. Very nice folks that helped me a few times decide what was best for my particular situation.

What should I be looking for? Do any of these cover if we should miss the boat in a port? Under VERY LIMITED scenarios covered in the Policy.

The Carnival Berkely Policy offers low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (but DOES offer Future Cruise CREDIT if your claim is denied as due to Pre-Existing Condition) and now includes cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning, and cancellation coverage for Job Layoff. If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. Carnival and Berkely both CLAIM that the Policy also covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is less expensive than the 3rd party policies if you're in the 70’s, as Age is not factored into the Premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer much higher coverages are much less expensive if you're younger. They generally offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of your Cruise Deposit (CSA allows you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver). Otherwise, you can purchase Carnival Berkley Insurance up to 14 days before sailaway and practically up to sailaway for other Polcies. You MUST be physically fit to travel the day you purchase.

Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health or Homeowners Insurance and the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to limits of the policy). If you're traveling with kids, checkout Trave-lEx and Travel-Insured, who insure Kids free with insured adults.

You need to select a Policy at least somewhat based on your own situation/concerns:

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed Cruise for Flite Delay.

TravelInsured includes kids insured free with insured adult.

TravelSafe includes Cancel for Hurricane Warning and Cancel for Any Reason (not always 100%).

USAA offers their members discounted (about 9%) Travel-Insured Policies with some expanded coverages included.

You can run sample premiums for your specific age,destination, dates and cruise costs, at the Insurer's sites or at sites such as insuremytrip.com.

If you're not into Research, checkout CSA "Comfort" and "Freestyle" Policies, and TravelInsured Trip Protector and AIG TravelGuard Premier Protect. . Otherwise you can compare rates and coverages at insuremytrip.com. If you’re a USAA member, checkout their Travel-Insured Polcieis/Rates. You can check rates and such (and purchase direct) at the Insurer's sites or you can do so at InsureMyTrip.com.

Make sure you first check your personal Health Plan for out-of-country coverages and your Homeowners and Credit Card for Trip Cancellation/Interruption & Baggage Loss/Delay coverages!!!

ken

We went through insuremytrip.com and chose Access America, had very good luck with them as we did have to file a claim when we returned. Within 2 weeks we had our check from them. I would use them again definitely. It's very easy to book the insurance on-line, you just type in the cost of the cruise, cost of everything else (car rental, airfare, etc.) and decide what medical coverage you want, etc. Then they give you a quote and you can choose to go with them, or keep looking. Very easy.

Deja vu... I've been looking online at cruise insurance this morning!

I didn't buy any first time around but likely will this time---in the next week or so since I just booked last week and some of them have a "14-day after deposit" clause for some benefits.

Thanks for asking this question and for any input from seasoned cruisers! :)

Tripinsurance dot com has my vote, worked with them and they offer differant options for you. My mom traveled with us and he suggested differant options based on her supplemental Medicaid insurance. She was able to save some money... they are more than helpful!

Ill never travel without insurance again and they will be who I go with...

have a great trip!

Deja vu... I've been looking online at cruise insurance this morning!

I didn't buy any first time around but likely will this time---in the next week or so since I just booked last week and some of them have a "14-day after deposit" clause for some benefits.

Thanks for asking this question and for any input from seasoned cruisers! :)

See Post #4 above!

Most of the 3rd Party Policies require that you purchase Insurance within 14-21 days of Cruise Deposit in order to get Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions (and sometimes Provider Default and other increased coverages). If you missed this deadline, you can purchase CSA Freestyle or Freestyle 'Luxe w/in 24 hours of Final Payment and get the Waiver. ken

I'm always afraid of some company that is unproven to me personally. We always buy CCL insurance. Just $99 per person for 8 day cruise and it pays for every thing :). We have had to use it multiple times. Wouldn't leave home without it! ;)

Luv's Crusin'

I'm always afraid of some company that is unproven to me personally. We always buy CCL insurance. Just $99 per person for 8 day cruise and it pays for every thing :). We have had to use it multiple times. Wouldn't leave home without it! ;)

Luv's Crusin'

first - you should always buy what you're comfortable with!

for others - Carnival's insurance is part Carnival (which is not insurance) and part Berkely which is just another Insurance company, totally divorced from Carnival. Carnival's Berkely Policy is in many cases the lowest coverage/benefits of all the available policies and for most, more expensive. The exception is that if you're in age 70+ the Carnival Berkely Policy becomes LESS expensive than the 3rd party options which factor age into the premium.

ken

I read that USAA has travel insurance? I bank with them but havent seen that on the website. Can someone give me more info? I will call them at lunch today to get quotes but I would like someone who has used them to tell me what their experience was.

I read that USAA has travel insurance? I bank with them but havent seen that on the website. Can someone give me more info? I will call them at lunch today to get quotes but I would like someone who has used them to tell me what their experience was.

If you're a member of USAA, check it Out!!! They offer several TravelInsured Policies (1) at about a 9% "discount" (from the trial numbers I ran for several scenarios) and (2) with several coverages expanded from the same Policy you would purchase elsewhere. TravelInsured also insures kids free with insured adults. Checkout their TravelInsured Trip Protector. ken

On our first cruise, trip insurance was a complete afterthought. We bought the least expensive policy not understanding that there are worlds of differences between the level of coverage and the quality of the provider. I saw a piece that Peter Greenberg did on MSNBC a few years ago that really opened my eyes and equipped me with some good information to search for a policy that is right for me and my wife. As an example fo how policies can be different, many will sell a certain level of emergency medical evacuation. However, often the amount of coverage is simply not adequate, or the evacuation will be to a destination of "adequate medical assistance," i.e. the insurance company's choosing and not yours. Well, how do you get a loved one home and at what expense? We all hope that any aspect of the trip insurance is something that goes unused, but I know I would'nt want to be in a circumstance where I was left wishing I would have purchased the insurance and now wonder how bills will be paid. We just completed our cruise on Saturday and I know the $265 that we paid for our policy (Travelguard Platinum + emergency evac to a destination of our choosing) allowed us to enjoy our trip without worrying. I've included a couple links to Peter Greenberg articles that I found useful, but I would advise doing some additional research and educating yourself about differences in companies and polices and then make the choice thats right for you.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/17519580/

http://www.petergreenberg.com/category/travel-insurance

http://www.petergreenberg.com/2009/10/20/questions-to-ask-when-buying-travel-insurance/

Luv's Crusin'

Be sure to check your policy......there was an article on the main page of Cruise Critic the other day talking about insurance.

It said that if you purchase insurance through the cruiseline it will not cover you once you step off the ship (unless you are on a ship sponsored excursion)....:eek:

I like to be covered 24/7......

Be sure to check your policy......there was an article on the main page of Cruise Critic the other day talking about insurance.

It said that if you purchase insurance through the cruiseline it will not cover you once you step off the ship (unless you are on a ship sponsored excursion)....:eek: If someone actually wrote this, they are seriously mis-informed and 100% wrong ; specifically wrt Carnival's Berkely Policy, any illness/injury need only occur during your Cruise Vacation not (just) onboard ship.

I like to be covered 24/7......

ken

Under some circumstances most insurers will provide coverage for missing the ship. The exact circumstances will be found in the trip interruption and/or trip delay benefits of the policy. For example, if you just lose track of the time and miss the ship's sailing you will receive no compensation for the added expense of catching up with the ship. However, their 24-hour assistance desk can help you make the travel arrangements to re-join the cruise or get back home (all at your expense).

But say you're injured while ashore and by the time the local doctor has you fixed up the ship has sailed. For most policies this would be a trip interruption and you would be reimbursed for your additional expenses to re-join the cruise plus maybe the value of any lost days of the cruise (depending on the plan). If the plan includes medical coverage you would probably also have a claim against that coverage depending on what caused you to see the doctor.

ken

"If someone actually wrote this, they are seriously mis-informed and 100% wrong ; specifically wrt Carnival's Berkely Policy, any illness/injury need only occur during your Cruise Vacation not (just) onboard ship."

Ken I was only going by the article found on the Cruise Critic main page over the weekend. It was listed as one of the "warnings" to people buying insurance from the cruise line.

Didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers, but I would have thought Cruise Critic researched their info before putting it out there.

It isn't an issue for me because I never purchase through the cruiseline, for a number of reasons......

"If someone actually wrote this, they are seriously mis-informed and 100% wrong ; specifically wrt Carnival's Berkely Policy, any illness/injury need only occur during your Cruise Vacation not (just) onboard ship."

Ken I was only going by the article found on the Cruise Critic main page over the weekend. It was listed as one of the "warnings" to people buying insurance from the cruise line.

Didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers, but I would have thought Cruise Critic researched their info before putting it out there.

It isn't an issue for me because I never purchase through the cruiseline, for a number of reasons......

I was referring to the author of the article (not the post!!!!!) ken

Well, I initially booked in November, so the pre-existing waiver is out the window!

We are flying in the day before, so I'm not worried about missing the sail-away, but I want to book excursions outside of Carnival, and I have two in my group who refuse to use anyone BUT Carnival because they are afraid of missing the ship!

I was hoping to find an insurance that would cover that also...this is all so overwhelming!

Thanks to everyone for your advice!

Under some circumstances most insurers will provide coverage for missing the ship. The exact circumstances will be found in the trip interruption and/or trip delay benefits of the policy. For example, if you just lose track of the time and miss the ship's sailing you will receive no compensation for the added expense of catching up with the ship. However, their 24-hour assistance desk can help you make the travel arrangements to re-join the cruise or get back home (all at your expense).

But say you're injured while ashore and by the time the local doctor has you fixed up the ship has sailed. For most policies this would be a trip interruption and you would be reimbursed for your additional expenses to re-join the cruise plus maybe the value of any lost days of the cruise (depending on the plan). If the plan includes medical coverage you would probably also have a claim against that coverage depending on what caused you to see the doctor.

ladyj3641 - In addition to cruiseco's comments above re Medical coverage, You'd most likely also be covered for missing the departure for Inclement Weather, for Mechanical Breakdown and for a Traffic Accident, again as stated in the Trip Interruption portion of your Policy. IMO, the best excursion insurance is to take a Carnival excursion.

ken

Well, I initially booked in November, so the pre-existing waiver is out the window! You're not out-of-luck yet - You CAN purchase CSA Freestyle (and maybe CSA comfort) up to your final Payment deadline and still get the Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions. You might access their Policy and checkout the Trip Interruption coverage relative to your concerns of missing port departures.

We are flying in the day before, so I'm not worried about missing the sail-away, but I want to book excursions outside of Carnival, and I have two in my group who refuse to use anyone BUT Carnival because they are afraid of missing the ship!

I was hoping to find an insurance that would cover that also...this is all so overwhelming!

Thanks to everyone for your advice!

ken

Archived