ATM at Buenos Aires Port?

cruiseryder

We will be disembarking Veendam on March 18 in Buenos Aires and need to take a taxi immediately to Jorge Newbery airport. I have been told by the banks and Foreign Exchange Offices in towns around me that they are unable to supply Argentine pesos. I have also been told by someone in Argentina that taxi drivers don't take US dollars. Does anyone know if there is an ATM/Exchange Bureau in the area you disembark in Buenos Aires? or any suggestions?

We will be disembarking Veendam on March 18 in Buenos Aires and need to take a taxi immediately to Jorge Newbery airport. I have been told by the banks and Foreign Exchange Offices in towns around me that they are unable to supply Argentine pesos. I have also been told by someone in Argentina that taxi drivers don't take US dollars. Does anyone know if there is an ATM/Exchange Bureau in the area you disembark in Buenos Aires? or any suggestions?

I am pretty sure they will take US Dollars....from the pier. Some also take credit cards...

thanks so much, we have a tight schedule to catch our onward flight and not much time to waste getting currency

We are leaving tomorrow to fly to BA. We arranged for the small hotel we are staying at to have a car pick us up from the airport. They fare was quoted in USDollars and added to the hotel charge(its $30.00)

There will almost certainly be one at the airport. I doubt he would mind if one of you waits in the car until the other returns with the cash.

We are in BA now. I find the taxi drivers pretty accommodating. it would be better to ask him to stop on the way to the airport at a bank with an atm. it will be faster for you too. all banks pretty much charge the same about 3us to use the atm. citibank has branches that for its customers don't charge. 30us = 112 pesos(about)

US$55 from the pier to the International Airport last week, according to the sign. And they wouldn't take Credit Cards. We gave the guy an extra $10 as he loaded the luggage and was very interesting on the ride to the airport.

• 3 weeks later...

Disembarked the Veendam yesterday in BA. We docked at pier 6 instead of pier 3 where we were originally scheduled to dock. 6 is much further inside the pier gates than 3 (about 2 km). The taxi mafia was at work as usual ripping off the unsuspecting disembarking passengers. Charging $20 to go the distance from pier 6 to a Recoleta hotel (I was quoted 25) is absurd. The metered tariff would be about $5. All taxis are required to use the meter. After much hagglling with newly arriving drivers I had to pay $10 because I could not call a radio cab or hail a street cab - pier 6 has no public phone that I could see and no access to the street as does pier 3. At the latter I can call a radio cab to come for me or walk a few meters to the street to catch a regular non-mafia taxi.

I intend to follow up with the local authorities and the cruise line. Both should do something to ameliorate the situation. These cab drivers are the scum of the city and as the first contact many tourists have with the city and its inhabitants, they do a grave disservice to the people of BA.

HAL compounded the problem somewhat because it failed to correct the pier 3 info although in fairness to them I am not sure when they learned the pier would be different.

Considering the tight connection time, and the fact that you won't need pesos for shopping, etc., why not just use the cruise line's transfer, or other service you'd pre-pay with a credit card? I didn't see an ATM or bank when we used the port for a cruise, but we were departing; facilities may well be different for arrivals. It seems logical there should be an ATM (whether it accepts your bank card is another question). The international airport is a fair amount further from the port than is downtown. Buying food or anything else may be problematic, but hopefully they accept credit cards. Or just eat up before you leave the ship :-)

Archived