New York City question

hutt90

We live in Green, Ohio...just a few miles north of you!

We did something similar last year, driving to New York City. We stayed at a bed & breakfast on Staten Island for 4 days, taking the ferry (free) into Manhattan each day. The ferry parking lot is only $7 per day.

I repeat...Homewood Suites in Edgewater NJ. I live right across the Hudson River from the Port. I can see the ships from my Hi-Rise apartment. If you come in the day before it is a breeze to get to the hotel and then just take the ferry (free shuttle from the hotel) right across the river. You will be 5 minutes from the Port. There is no need to stay far away.

Free parking for the week. You will see the ship when you wake up in the morning from the hotel room!

No one said there wasn't plenty to do in NYC 24/7. What I said was the bus into Secaucus after 9:00PM leaves a lot to be desired and I sure wouldn't ride the bus in that area after 9PM. The train to Secaucus junction-yes. The bus-no. The 320 bus outside Embassy Suites is the local bus that winds through the shopping center area. To get the Express Bus, you have to walk up to Rt 3 south on Harmon Plaza Blvd.

Of course the route 320 bus is "local" when it is picking up people from Mill Creek and within Harmon Meadow, but after it makes the last pickup at the North Bergen P&R it is non-stop to PABT. That's an express trip, and unlike, say, route 85, the bus does not constantly stop-and-start, there's only a register and no farebox, and there's no need to transfer to any other route. Nor is there any reason to walk to or from highway 3. The bus service is excellent, especially within an auto-centric development of this type.

Were anyone to be concerned about safety and security, the bus option is much better than the train option. First, buses are typically more secure because the driver remains with the passengers the entire time. On many trains the conductor disappears after collecting tickets. Second, the bus stops are much closer to the hotel, thereby minimizing exposure to traffic safety hazards.

The one issue that has been bugging me, and just can't remember the details, is the type of equipment used on the route 320 service. The route is dispatched from NJT's Meadlowlands garage, which has MCI D4000 and D4500 coaches as well as NovaBUS RTSs and NABIs. The D4000 and D4500 coaches have convenient underfloor space for luggage whereas the RTSs and NABIs do not. Do you recall which equipment is generally being assigned to the route?

The OP is cruising out of Manhattan, NOT Bayonne, which makes a world of difference.

Recently some of the difficulties related to getting older are getting apparent. It seems as though in the middle of this thread I've confused it with another one where the OP was leaving out of Bayonne. Were the cruise to have left from Bayonne I suspect that we would both agree on many of the logistics.

But that not being the case it gets back to the initial responses: it is a trade-off between convenience, driving in Manhattan, driving in New Jersey as one approaches Manhattan, and parking. It is most convenient to drive into Manhattan and leave the car there the entire time. That is expensive and it requires driving that not everyone want. Staying at Embassy Suites is a reasonable choice . . . if it can meet the OP's parking needs. There are other hotels out there as well that are convenient to a convenient bus or train, and if they meet the OP's parking needs they may be candidates.

To someone not familiar with the area, driving around NJ suburbs can be taxing also, it is very congested compared to other areas of the country. I think the OP would be better off staying maybe two hours out of NY the night before and then driving into Manhattan, which is not difficult, because the port is very near the Lincoln Tunnel so there is not much driving. jmo

I think there are a good number of people that think that driving in New Jersey is more challenging than in New York. Not only are there all the distractions but also there are several highways that have relatively narrow lanes, sub-standard engineering, and drivers wanting to go quickly. Add to that unusual configurations, such as jughandles and traffic circles, and it is easy to see how out-of-state motorists can lose it.

There is something to be said for keeping the car out of the more congested parts of the state. Indeed, if the arrangements are made well it may be possible to stay two hours outside of New York and yet be able to get a convenient bus or train into the city.

• 3 weeks later...
If it was my trip, I would find a hotel in Manhattan (use Priceline bidding 4* if there are only two of you). Parking will be about $25-30.00 per day at most hotels. Park the car and take public transport for sightseeing. Then drive to the port and park there for your cruise. All in all, with the transport costs for sightseeing, it will work out about the same money wise. AND it will be a darn sight easier on you for all the reasons Blue Herons mentioned.

I don't know if it's been covered yet, since I'm at the beginning of the thread. Parking at the pier is about $25 a day, and they only take cash. Keep this in mind if this is an option.

I agree with the person who suggested taking the train from Ohio, or even take a plane. It will be cheaper to take a plane in the long run, than pay for parking.

I don't know if it's been covered yet, since I'm at the beginning of the thread. Parking at the pier is about $25 a day, and they only take cash. Keep this in mind if this is an option.

I agree with the person who suggested taking the train from Ohio, or even take a plane. It will be cheaper to take a plane in the long run, than pay for parking.

That is incorrect. Parking at the Manhattan cruise terminal is $30 per day, and they accept Master Card and Visa.

That is incorrect. Parking at the Manhattan cruise terminal is $30 per day, and they accept Master Card and Visa.

I parked there twice just the other week and they charged $25 cash only. Are you talking about the roof of the pier?

I parked there twice just the other week and they charged $25 cash only. Are you talking about the roof of the pier?

Yes, I'm talking about parking on the roof of the pier. $25 is the day rate when you're not leaving your car overnight. Cruise parking is $30 per night, and they do take credit cards. If you like I can show you the credit card receipt from my cruise last month.:D Here's the Web page with the rates:

http://www.nycruise.com/parkNYC.html

For what it's worth, the Web page doesn't say they require cash only for day parking.

Yes, I'm talking about parking on the roof of the pier. $25 is the day rate when you're not leaving your car overnight. Cruise parking is $30 per day, and they do take credit cards. If you like I can show you the credit card receipt from my cruise last month.:D Here's the Web page with the rates:

http://www.nycruise.com/parkNYC.html

thanks for clearing that up for everyone

they must have changed things. Usually I park for the day

But I've parked for cruises 6 times in the last few years and they only took cash then, too.

Mommyto2girls.

I am interested in the Homewood Suites in Edgewater. Do you know if they have shuttle pick up from LGA. My sister and I want to go to the theater the day before the cruise. How would we get to the theater district and when you say that you can take the ferry across the Hudson and walk to the pier. Is this practical for 2 ladies?

Sorry if this sounds like dumb questions, but this will be our first trip to nyc and I'm trying to figure where the best possible place would be for us to stay and easy access to the theater district and pier w/o costing an arm and a leg.:confused:

thank you for any information that you could give us.:)

Mommyto2girls.

I am interested in the Homewood Suites in Edgewater. Do you know if they have shuttle pick up from LGA. My sister and I want to go to the theater the day before the cruise. How would we get to the theater district and when you say that you can take the ferry across the Hudson and walk to the pier. Is this practical for 2 ladies?

Sorry if this sounds like dumb questions, but this will be our first trip to nyc and I'm trying to figure where the best possible place would be for us to stay and easy access to the theater district and pier w/o costing an arm and a leg.:confused:

Homewood Suites in Edgewater is in NJ...across the river from Manhattan, and nowhere near LGA, which is in Queens, NY. They will not have a shuttle to pick you up at LGA. I don't think it's a good choice of hotel for someone flying into LGA. If you're interested in going to a show in NY, and considering it's your first trip to NYC, you would probably be better off staying in Manhattan...if your budget can tolerate it.

Mommyto2girls.

There are few hotels that have an airport shuttle from LGA. And none that I know of that will transport you to NJ.

IF you are flying into LGA (NYC, NEW YORK-Queens airport), then STAY in NYC, especially because you want to go to the theater. You can stay around LGA by bidding on Priceline for a 3.5* hotel for $100 or less. BUT you will pay about $60 RT for a taxi into the theater district.

PLEASE get out a map. Homewood Suites is in NJ. LGA and the theater district is in NY. Even though the distance is relatively small, crossing STATE LINES adds a LOT to the transport cost if you use ANYTHING other than public transport. Totally different rules from one state to the other.

IF you feel safe/not intimidated using public transport, there are savings to be had generally by staying in NJ. BUT hotels have been a real bargain in NYC recently. You must figure time involved, transportation costs other than public transport and the intimidation/hassle factor before you use public transport.

Yes, you can take the ferry from NJ to NY to get to the port. Can you handle all your own luggage? Are you prepared to pay $60-90 to get from LGA to Homewood Suites in NJ?

Have you checked the ferry schedule to MAKE SURE the ferry is running AFTER the theater? Will you feel safe getting to the ferry and then getting to the hotel FROM the ferry?

All things to consider. If it was my trip, flying into LGA, I would book a NYC hotel, go to the theater via public transport or taxi and be done with it.

I HIGHLY doubt (as in no way) you will get shuttle service from LGA to NJ - it's quite some distance. Ground transport from LGA is a PIA. No subway, just busses or bus to to nearest subway station or taxi / limo options.

http://www.nysubway.com/airport/laguardia.html

You might also consider parking up north of the city at one of the Metro North train stations around Poughkeepsie - it would cost some 20 - 30 for the week and then taking the train to the city and staying rigght in Manhattan. This would make access to NYC attractions much easier during your stay.

texanapat - you are flying into LGA and cruising from Manhattan. As others have said, it makes no sense for you to stay anywhere other than Manhattan. LGA has poor public transportation to Manhattan.

Please tell us exactly what dates you are looking at and how many people and beds you require. Unfortunately, one of the best strategies to get a reasonable hotel room in NY is through Priceline or Hotwire - both noncancellable reservations. You should expect to spend about $200/night. Cab from LGA to the hotel should be about $35 and cab to the cruise terminal about $10-15 depending on your hotel location.

Friends used Priceline and stayed in a very nice hotels. Once on the east side and once on the west side. both were in walking distance to many things. She's cruising now, so i can't ask her, but I believe she spent about $125 - 150.

Friends used Priceline and stayed in a very nice hotels. Once on the east side and once on the west side. both were in walking distance to many things. She's cruising now, so i can't ask her, but I believe she spent about $125 - 150.

Ditto on priceline. I snagged a room at the Sheraton Times Square last year for $109 / night (plus taxes). Put in bids for 3 1/2 to 4 stars and different locations. There are some priceline bidding techniques that work out well - just google "priceline bidding" and you'll get some good tips.

You also need to be patient with Priceline and Hotwire. You are still 7 months out from your desired date. I think you can put a notifier on so you will receive an email when a new offering in your price range becomes available. The offerings change daily, so if it's not there today, it might be there tomorrow. It's good to watch to see what's available so you know a good deal when it comes up because it won't last long.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful information. I will be out of town for a week, but once I get back will start with priceline. We will leaving out of Nyc Oct 2.

We are so looking forward to this trip.

All information is welcomed!

• 2 weeks later...

Please tell us exactly what dates you are looking at and how many people and beds you require. Unfortunately, one of the best strategies to get a reasonable hotel room in NY is through Priceline or Hotwire - both noncancellable reservations. You should expect to spend about $200/night. Cab from LGA to the hotel should be about $35 and cab to the cruise terminal about $10-15 depending on your hotel location.

We will be flying in LGA on 10/1/10. Unfortunately, this is the peak season for NYC it seems. Most hotels are $250.00 and above. Still looking for a good deal.

Thank you for all the good advice.:)

We will be flying in LGA on 10/1/10. Unfortunately, this is the peak season for NYC it seems. Most hotels are $250.00 and above. Still looking for a good deal.

Thank you for all the good advice.:)

priceline. Bid $150 for a 3* hotel in Midtown....

• 1 month later...
I was just investigating this myself, as I was considering driving out from Chi for a July cruise.

Regarding parking at a hotel; the Holiday Inn near Newark Airport let's you park for a week if you stay a night.

Here's a link to that and other parking only options: http://www.longtermparking.com/newjer.htm

More info on Newark Airport Parking. Has decent map.

How much is anyone actually saving by staying in New Jersey when you add in transportation costs and time for two people?

I just want to beat my head against the wall with this subject.

There is no cheap parking in the tri state area. If you aren't paying cruise port prices at the port, you are paying them elsewhere.

Blue Herons - parking is expensive in the tri state area. That's why everyone posts to explore alternatives. It's always a choice among time, money, and stress. Many of the folks who post on this forum are driving or flying to NJ to cruise from Bayonne. They'd like to tour NY, but they can't always justify spending the money for the more expensive NY hotels and parking. We try to describe the pros and cons of each choice so they can make an informed decision.

Archived