Panama Canal

RichNY

We did that cruise in December on the Star. Both sides are good, but we booked a starboard side balcony cabin to be on the land side. During the canal transit we were fortunate as to the lane we ended up (this is absolutely random and only determined at the last moment). We were able to watch a very large cargo ship right next to us and that was fascinating. Also great views of the locomotive mules. You really cannot feel the motion up and down in the locks on your own ship. but watching other ships rise way up and then come back down is so cool! The only real advantage to the port side would be the sunrise in the morning and the skyline view of Panama City. We got the sunset, but at an angle because of the way you go through the canal. When we were cruising up the Mexican Riviera we DEFINITELY were on the good side in regards to ports, but the port side got the sunsets at that point and we got the morning sun. So there are pluses and minuses for either side, but we loved having a starboard balcony for east to west PC transit.

Is one side, port or starboard, any better than the other for an east to west transit ??

Tanks..;)

We're considering a Panama Canal cruise, but my only be able to afford an inside cabin, so I doubt it'll matter to us

Of course rich, I may buy you a drink and come up to use your balcony ;). So get a good one :D

I don't want to confuse anybody, but when you go through the canal from the Pacific side, you are actually going East to West. Well, not quite !!!

Which direction do you sail through the Panama Canal?

The Panama Canal lies on the Isthmus of Panama which generally sits in an east-west direction in Panama. However, the location of the Panama canal is such that ships traveling through the canal from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean travel in a northwest direction while ships traveling from the Atlantic to the Pacific head southeast!.

I am looking forward to doing the PC cruise but it won't be for a while yet. What else do you see going through the canal during the trip besides the locks? I assume they pass through during the day as you mentioned the sunrise.

I am looking forward to doing the PC cruise but it won't be for a while yet. What else do you see going through the canal during the trip besides the locks? I assume they pass through during the day as you mentioned the sunrise.

Daytime transit for all cruise ships. You see beautiful scenery, crocodiles, ships, birds, Etc.

If you really want to enjoy the trip, read David McCullogh's book " The Path Between the Seas" before you go.

Daytime transit for all cruise ships. You see beautiful scenery, crocodiles, ships, birds, Etc.

If you really want to enjoy the trip, read David McCullogh's book " The Path Between the Seas" before you go.

That's cool. I know its only 45-50 miles if I'm not mistaken. I saw a program on Smithonian TV about the Tropical Research Institute and I kept watching the background of large ships passing by. Is there also a large "lake" you go through? Thanks for the info on the book. If I start reading it now maybe I'll finish it in three years before I go:)

That's cool. I know its only 45-50 miles if I'm not mistaken. I saw a program on Smithonian TV about the Tropical Research Institute and I kept watching the background of large ships passing by. Is there also a large "lake" you go through? Thanks for the info on the book. If I start reading it now maybe I'll finish it in three years before I go:)

If you are going from the Pacific side, you go through two locks into MiraFlores lake which is about a mile acros, then through a single lock (Pedro Miguel lock) into Culebra cut ( I think it has been re-named) for about seven or eight miles until you get into Gatun Lake. It is several miles across (not sure how many ). It is not a big open lake. Instead, it has many islands and fingers with lots of vegetation. Then you go through Gatun locks ( three steps ) into the channel that leads to the Caribbean.

The Research Institute is about mid-way through Gatun Lake on your left side. You also pass the Chagres river which feeds the water to the lakes and canal. It will be on your right, I think. If you search for Panama Canal Maps, there are lots of them on the internet. They also pass out maps on the ship when you are going through the canal.

NCL usually has a narrator onboard to give you some history, also.

If you are going from the Pacific side, you go through two locks into MiraFlores lake which is about a mile acros, then through a single lock (Pedro Miguel lock) into Culebra cut ( I think it has been re-named) for about seven or eight miles until you get into Gatun Lake. It is several miles across (not sure how many ). It is not a big open lake. Instead, it has many islands and fingers with lots of vegetation. Then you go through Gatun locks ( three steps ) into the channel that leads to the Caribbean.

The Research Institute is about mid-way through Gatun Lake on your left side. You also pass the Chagres river which feeds the water to the lakes and canal. It will be on your right, I think. If you search for Panama Canal Maps, there are lots of them on the internet. They also pass out maps on the ship when you are going through the canal.

NCL usually has a narrator onboard to give you some history, also.

Thanks SW. From what I saw it was beautiful. Can't wait to see it in person.

I did buy a one of every lottery ticket available this week so may it will be sooner than later:o

This is on my list also , I cant wait...But since the best times are during school we must wait a bit ..

* bisson , your still using a funnel , how old school.

Switch to a oak cask with a free flow bung hole ;)

I'm not pouring anything in my bung hole :eek:

This is on my list also , I cant wait...But since the best times are during school we must wait a bit ..

* bisson , your still using a funnel , how old school.

Switch to a oak cask with a free flow bung hole ;)

I prefer the never ending ice luge!;)

I don't want to confuse anybody, but when you go through the canal from the Pacific side, you are actually going East to West. Well, not quite !!!

Which direction do you sail through the Panama Canal?

The Panama Canal lies on the Isthmus of Panama which generally sits in an east-west direction in Panama. However, the location of the Panama canal is such that ships traveling through the canal from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean travel in a northwest direction while ships traveling from the Atlantic to the Pacific head southeast!.

OK....Hows this...Florida to California that's the one we are booking......;)....ISTHMUS ??.....Isthmus be my lucky day...:D

Archived