Self-guided hikes around Mendenhall Glacier

nosykev11

Just thought I'd share this nice map in case anyone was considering saving a little money in Juneau. My fiancee and I are looking for excursions and decided to save a little in Juneau so we could take a floatplane in Ketchikan. I did a little research and found that we could get a nice hike in while we were in Juneau.

Anyways, not sure if this is up to date, but I found this on the Tongass National Forest website.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/map.html

Hope this can help someone.

You bet! Been there and done that, just watch out for bears!

Figures! Is there an area of the state you haven't hiked in?

The Juneau hike I'd like to do next is the Mt. Roberts Trail. Saw another post that said if you hike up you can ride the tram back down for free.

Well, I haven't been out on the Seward Peninsula! Too hard to get to. Actually where is the Seward Peninsula is a trick question to find out who the real Alaskans are.

Due to a leg injury that has taken a really long time to heal, I can only hike uphill these days. Downhill really hurts. The situation is improving however and I can go downstairs without looking so much my own age.

Yes, if you hike up Mt. Roberts you can ride down for free. At least that has been the case in past years.

Mendenhall is a great place to see bears especially if you don't want to.

Figures! Is there an area of the state you haven't hiked in?

The Juneau hike I'd like to do next is the Mt. Roberts Trail. Saw another post that said if you hike up you can ride the tram back down for free.

I hiked "down" Mt. Roberts, doesn't "count" does it. :) :) :)

Penny is all around Alaska!!!!

BQ, for me DOWN would be next to impossible so you have me on that one! Actually I think slip and fall issues are greater on DOWN than on UP. As that trail is often wet and gunky, please be careful.

We need you in one piece!

It was a dry spell in Juneau, when I went several years ago (I also remember prior to the tram being there) so the trail was barely wet in a few areas.

You are absolutely right- I never recommend this, IF it has been raining/damp in the days prior. It is ONE big MUD SLICK. Stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived