Upgrading to an accessible cabin?

PartyAllDaTyme

Booked yesterday - 3 page guest special needs form has already arrived via email.
This is scary for many reasons.It certainly makes you wonder about any information you receive from Celebrity.I guess the old saying about the right hand and the left hand is true. Our HC was booked on board the Solstice 1/15/2010 for the 4/25/2010 sailing, is paid in full, no questions asked.:rolleyes:

I booked my first cruise on Infinity a few years ago. The booking was within 30 days of departure and I found 9164 available at the stern on the ship, so that was the cabin I chose. A couple of days later, I got a call from Celebrity, asking if I was handicapped. I told them no, and asked if they needed the cabin for someone who was. The agent said no, all they were trying to do was find out if I had any special needs. I also asked if I would be moved in the event a handicapped person needed the cabin. The answer confirmed that the cabin was out of inventory at that late time and would not be given to anyone else.

I called Celebrity about a week before departure, to verify that I wasn't taking a needed cabin. They still said, "no".

I wouldn't specifically attempt to book an HC cabin, especially early, and certainly not through prevarication about a handicap. However, once it is placed in inventory and you book it, just enjoy it. Celebrity, and other cruise lines are quite aware of special needs passengers and their booking system only frees up these cabins when it predicts no further need for them.

I know for a fact, that at anytime prior to embarkation, Celebrity will bump a person from a handicapped room if they do not require it, and people coming on the cruise with mobility problems require it. It only makes sense. We have never, nor would we consider booking a handicapped stateroom,

I wish it were true but I know for a fact that there is a frequent cruiser that gets a handicapped room for every sailing (about 20 a year), are young enough not to need it (45-55?), Celebrity knows about it but never bumps them out.

Seasig's experience confirms what we have been told and matches our experiences with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean--that once booked the cabin is taken out of the inventory and not given to anyone else.

While I'm not attacking those who book these HC cabins once Special Needs puts them in the general inventory, I believe that the Celebrity/Royal Caribbean system is flawed in regard to how Special Needs handles the release and management of the HC cabins, especially when those are released to general booking. The release does not occur within any particular time period--sometimes it is at final payment and sometimes earlier--so two to three months in advance of the sailing. Like Seasig, we would like to be able to book a cruise that might be within one or two months to sailing, whether it is taking advantage of a promo or Tuesday special, or just having an opportunity open up in regard to time/travel. Yet because of this release practice of Special Needs, we usually cannot.

If Celebrity and Royal Caribbean actually required and then LOOKED AT AND USED the medical/need forms for HC cabins, then it would be easy for them to determine whether the accessible features of the HC cabin were needed by the booking passengers and then be able to move able bodied passengers (assuming that equal or better cabins were available) so that a disabled passenger could book the cruise/cabin. (Several times we have called and been told that other cabins are available in the category, but no HC cabins, so I believe often there is availability). But cabins are not flagged and there is no waitlist.

Since this has always been our experience, we would really like the contact information that Finucane and others have used when they have asserted that an non-disabled person was moved from a HC cabin so that they could be booked into that HC cabin. If, in fact, this does happen, then we would certainly like to know who to contact so that it can done for us. (Otherwise I must assume that it is a aberration of policy and something that they were very lucky to have done on a one time basis.)

Seasig's experience confirms what we have been told and matches our experiences with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean--that once booked the cabin is taken out of the inventory and not given to anyone else.

While I'm not attacking those who book these HC cabins once Special Needs puts them in the general inventory, I believe that the Celebrity/Royal Caribbean system is flawed in regard to how Special Needs handles the release and management of the HC cabins, especially when those are released to general booking. The release does not occur within any particular time period--sometimes it is at final payment and sometimes earlier--so two to three months in advance of the sailing. Like Seasig, we would like to be able to book a cruise that might be within one or two months to sailing, whether it is taking advantage of a promo or Tuesday special, or just having an opportunity open up in regard to time/travel. Yet because of this release practice of Special Needs, we usually cannot.

If Celebrity and Royal Caribbean actually required and then LOOKED AT AND USED the medical/need forms for HC cabins, then it would be easy for them to determine whether the accessible features of the HC cabin were needed by the booking passengers and then be able to move able bodied passengers (assuming that equal or better cabins were available) so that a disabled passenger could book the cruise/cabin. (Several times we have called and been told that other cabins are available in the category, but no HC cabins, so I believe often there is availability). But cabins are not flagged and there is no waitlist.

Since this has always been our experience, we would really like the contact information that Finucane and others have used when they have asserted that an non-disabled person was moved from a HC cabin so that they could be booked into that HC cabin. If, in fact, this does happen, then we would certainly like to know who to contact so that it can done for us. (Otherwise I must assume that it is a aberration of policy and something that they were very lucky to have done on a one time basis.)

Totally agree!!!!!!!

I am disabled and could probably benefit from a HC cabin. I could use a higher toilet, grab bars, etc. But..I have never booked one because I thank my lucky stars that I can get by without one. I can not imagine someone booking a HC cabin for the "extra room". Celebrity should monitor the distribution of these cabins to make sure that they are available to those who need them, then, at the time of sailing move those who have requested one without a need into one if it would have been empty anyhow.

I wish it were true but I know for a fact that there is a frequent cruiser that gets a handicapped room for every sailing (about 20 a year), are young enough not to need it (45-55?), Celebrity knows about it but never bumps them out.

AGE has nothing to do with disability. I became disabled at age 33, and would have needed a handicap accessible cabin, had I had the good fortune to go cruising. And of course people are BORN with disabilities.

In addition, not all disabilities are VISIBLE. There are mobility issues, back issues, balance issues, seizure issues -- among others -- that you wouldn't necessarily see that would cause a person to be labeled as disabled, and make the features of a handicap-accessible cabin very useful.

You weren't specific, so it's hard to tell if this is someone you actually know, or someone you know "of". I wonder how this cruiser is always able to get an accessible cabin and many people who actually need them report that they have such trouble finding one. Not to mention, how is someone able to spend around 1/2 their time on a cruise??? I would love to know their secrets!

I also wonder how you know that Celebrity knows and yet does nothing about it. Maybe Celebrity knows something about this person that you don't? Have you reported this person to Celebrity yourself?

AGE has nothing to do with disability. I became disabled at age 33, and would have needed a handicap accessible cabin, had I had the good fortune to go cruising. And of course people are BORN with disabilities.

In addition, not all disabilities are VISIBLE. There are mobility issues, back issues, balance issues, seizure issues -- among others -- that you wouldn't necessarily see that would cause a person to be labeled as disabled, and make the features of a handicap-accessible cabin very useful.

Sorry to have touched a nerve. I was just trying to point out that they were not disabled by age nor any visble cause. They just want larger cabins when they cruise and get them whenever they book.

You weren't specific, so it's hard to tell if this is someone you actually know, or someone you know "of". I wonder how this cruiser is always able to get an accessible cabin and many people who actually need them report that they have such trouble finding one. Not to mention, how is someone able to spend around 1/2 their time on a cruise??? I would love to know their secrets!

I also wonder how you know that Celebrity knows and yet does nothing about it. Maybe Celebrity knows something about this person that you don't? Have you reported this person to Celebrity yourself?

I once had the luxury of an accessible cabin when I cruised on HAL Amsterdam and booked at the last minute. I've tried to get one by booking on board but I've always been told that a document is required. When I saw this couple leaving their cabin, without apparent disability, I asked about it, told the on board agent about it and he just shrugged.

Like the OP I don't want to deprive those who need the special cabin but I would like to know how some people without apparent disabilities do get them and when they are released for the general booking public.

Sorry to have touched a nerve. I was just trying to point out that they were not disabled by age nor any visble cause. They just want larger cabins when they cruise and get them whenever they book.

I once had the luxury of an accessible cabin ...

I don't want to deprive those who need the special cabin but I would like to know how some people without apparent disabilities do get them and when they are released for the general booking public.

So you don't think it's right that OTHER people who are not disabled get the accessible cabins all the time, but you want to find out how YOU can get one when YOU want one? Please! :rolleyes:

How about leaving the accessible cabins for people who NEED them, cannot cruise without them, etc? And if the "luxury upgrade fairy" smiles upon you again, you can just keep the cabin without issue. I hope you are never in a position where getting an accessible cabin is a NEED and not a LUXURY.

So you don't think it's right that OTHER people who are not disabled get the accessible cabins all the time, but you want to find out how YOU can get one when YOU want one? Please! :rolleyes:

How about leaving the accessible cabins for people who NEED them, cannot cruise without them, etc? And if the "luxury upgrade fairy" smiles upon you again, you can just keep the cabin without issue. I hope you are never in a position where getting an accessible cabin is a NEED and not a LUXURY.

It is obvious you are trying to twist my words and do not believe my original statement.

If you read the last sentence in my previous post:

Like the OP I don't want to deprive those who need the special cabin but I would like to know how some people without apparent disabilities do get them and when they are released for the general booking public.
1. I know someone who is able to get an Accessible cabin every time they cruise.

2. When I asked information about when these cabins are released for the general public I was told that a medical form was required.

3. I asked how this other person was able to get the cabin every time, not just when they are released, the agent shrugged.

4. There are sailings when accessible cabins are not all taken by those who need them.

5. If that is the case I would like to find out how to book one after they have been released.

A word to the wise, not all disablities are "visible" as a previous poster put it. I for one look fine, but I'm not. I have had more than one person yell at me for parking in a disabled parking spot because I didn't look the part to THEM. Unless you walk every day in my shoes, MYOB.

I tried today to book a HC on thr April 18 Solstice.We were told all of the HC had been released to open inventory and were booked. They will not check for need or move anyone after they have been released, also if someone cancels they will go to anyone.Not fair.Why can't they keep a waiting list?

A word to the wise, not all disablities are "visible" as a previous poster put it. I for one look fine, but I'm not. I have had more than one person yell at me for parking in a disabled parking spot because I didn't look the part to THEM. Unless you walk every day in my shoes, MYOB.
One man followed me out of the grocery store to my handicapped parking space to tell me I didn't look disabled,that he had seen me park and had been watching as I shopped. Pretty scary.

One man followed me out of the grocery store to my handicapped parking space to tell me I didn't look disabled,that he had seen me park and had been watching as I shopped. Pretty scary.

I've had pretty much the same thing happen. There's all kinds of people in this world, recognize the scum for who they are and avoid them, I guess.

This morning we decided to book Infinity for a Panama Canal cruise sailing on March 28. There is a European web site, a travel agency that can not be divulged without the hammer falling, that displays certain cabins that are available. When booking an inside cabin, it displayed a large cabin with wheel chair accessibility. I checked the Celebrity website and it did not show up. I called immediately and Celebrity assigned me the cabin. Since we will be cruising back to back, I asked if the same cabin was available and I was told that the accessible cabins were not released as yet into general inventory. The return cruise is April 11, just over a month away.

• 2 months later...

I am thoughtful of those who are disabled and understand the strong emotions that go along with the misuse of handicapped cabins. What took me back is the statement of being challenged if you do not look disabled. My husband suffers from a degenerative spine disorder, some days are good, some horrible . He has trouble with balance and shaking. Somedays he can walk without an aid , somedays he uses a walker or wheelchair. He can be suffering and look normal , I would be very upset if anyone approached him about what his disability was and he would be very embaressed. But yes I will book him an accessible cabin .

:eek: I'm H/C and use a motorized scooter. I'm Elite on Celebrity and have never used a H/C cabin, since Celebrity allows me to leave my scooter by the pantry. The steward brings it to my cabin early am. Celebrity also made it very easy for me to get around.

One problem I have is rude passengers who cut in front of me to "grab and elevator". I can't do stairs, so I NEED the elevator. And it's usually the young people who can easily use the exersize and take the stairs. This problem is not just on Cerlebrity, but on many cruise ships that I have been on. Please be kind. If I could walk I'd be running......My scooter is NOT fun it's a necessary evil in my daily life.

However I just booked on Carnival Fantasy and they would not let me book anything less than an "accessible" cabin.:mad: of course at an additional charge...Let's see what happens........

I logged on to this forum to check what an accessible cabin was like and wow, I didn't realise I was opening a can of worms. First of all, let me say that I would never condone people booking a HC cabin when they are able-bodied, just like I get hugely irritated when people 'borrow' disabled parking badges. We booked our cruise last September & our TA told us that he had no cabins left of the class we wanted but could offer a 'guaranteed cabin'. Since we wanted to cruise on that particular date we agreed. 9 months down the line and 2 days before we cruise, we have finally been assigned a cabin - and yes, its an 'accessible' cabin. We can only assume that the cabin was not required by someone who actually NEEDED it. I hope we don't suffer abuse, we would much rather have had a general usage cabin allocated last September.

I logged on to this forum to check what an accessible cabin was like and wow, I didn't realise I was opening a can of worms. First of all, let me say that I would never condone people booking a HC cabin when they are able-bodied, just like I get hugely irritated when people 'borrow' disabled parking badges. We booked our cruise last September & our TA told us that he had no cabins left of the class we wanted but could offer a 'guaranteed cabin'. Since we wanted to cruise on that particular date we agreed. 9 months down the line and 2 days before we cruise, we have finally been assigned a cabin - and yes, its an 'accessible' cabin. We can only assume that the cabin was not required by someone who actually NEEDED it. I hope we don't suffer abuse, we would much rather have had a general usage cabin allocated last September.
Don't worry. Most of us that need an accessible cabin know how the system works. Since Celebrity refuses to keep a waiting list for people that need them they are opened up to the general public, usually after final payment time, and refuses to move anyone if the need arises there is no other solution.Just enjoy the cabin.The only other answer is to wear a sign on your back saying I didn't ask for a HC and that would look really tacky on formal night.;)

I've had that happen to me also, back in the day when I only needed a cane. I've had people knock on my car window, yelling at me that I wasn't disabled--yeah, like they can tell when I'm still in my car. I had a women follow me in the store, and said she did so to make sure I limped full time. Like that????

Since Celebrity refuses to keep a waiting list for people that need them they are opened up to the general public, usually after final payment time, and refuses to move anyone if the need arises there is no other solution.

I wonder....if someone who needed the cabin was on the roll call for their cruise, and asked if anyone had an accessible cabin but didn't NEED it....hmmmm....would the person who had it give it up for the person who needed it?

In our case, if we cannot get an accessible cabin, we simply cannot cruise. So we would never have booked the cruise in the first place.

I wonder....if someone who needed the cabin was on the roll call for their cruise, and asked if anyone had an accessible cabin but didn't NEED it....hmmmm....would the person who had it give it up for the person who needed it?

In our case, if we cannot get an accessible cabin, we simply cannot cruise. So we would never have booked the cruise in the first place.

Hello from the OP--I thought this thread died a natural death three months ago.

My original premise is that there comes a point when Celebrity decides that the HC cabins that have not already been booked will be vacant unless they release them to the general public. At that point, they would be filled by those who booked a Guarantee or would go to a last-minute booking, unless someone who has already booked speaks up and says, "If you're going to let just anyone have the cabin, it may as well be me." This was prompted by booking an aft C1 on Summit, right next to an HC cabin that of course has more room. I recalled posts about non-HC people ending up in HC cabins, and wondered if there was a way of increasing our chances that it would happen to us.

Please note, I am in no way talking about taking away an HC cabin from someone who has need of it. The presumption, at least by Celebrity, is anyone who needs an HC has one, and no one will be inconvenienced by releasing it to the general public. I have empathy for those who need an HC. I had, for a time, an HC card for parking, and we have a similar problem when booking hotel rooms-- DW is extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke, so if all a hotel has left are smoking rooms, we're out of luck. We don't blame the hotel, just our fault for waiting to book until it was too late. Not quite the same, since they don't allow smokers to switch if a nonsmoking room would otherwise go vacant, but you get the idea.

To answer your question, I assume a person who needs a HC cabin would not be on the roll call (or shouldn't be) if they've not already booked a cabin. As you say, if you can't get an accessible cabin, you can't cruise. If they're booking late and if all the HC cabins have been taken, either by those who needed one or those who were assigned one, they would not be able to book. In the event that someone who needed a HC cabin booked an non-HC anyway, then posted on the roll call asking for volunteers to trade, it would depend on the circumstance. I think most people who need to book HC cabins are aware that if they wait until the last minute, those cabins are released to the general public. Thus, if they need one, they need to book one before that happens.

If there are extenuating circumstances-- say, for example, someone's cruise was cancelled at the last minute, they're booking this one as their second choice, and they accepted a non-HC with the hopes of trading, I'd probably agree to the swap, even if it meant a downgrade. I don't think I could enjoy the cruise in that circumstance, knowing that someone missed the cruise altogether because they couldn't really use the non-HC room. Unfortunately, there are limits-- DW says a balcony (open spaces, fresh air) helps prevent her tendency toward motion sickness. She uses the prescription patch and it helps, but does not eliminate the problem. She has as much sympathy as I do for someone who needs an HC, but if she's nauseous the whole time, she may as well stay home if we ended up with an inside cabin or OV.

Archived