Is Planning 1/2 the Fun?

numbersix

It might be partially because I'm an event planner, but I love love love the planning of travel, trips, adventures, etc. I have a few friends and one sister who tend to be my travel partners the most, so am thankful that they humor me when I pop up with random facts about where we're visiting. This site has been a great resource for my big adventure with my sister to Scandinavia and the Baltics later on this year, so am very appreciative of all those who choose to share their pearls of wisdom. :D Mahalo!

Kristen (TheSmartOne)

Planning is not half the fun. When a trip is over, I don't have fond memories of the time spent planning the trip. However, the months leading up to the trip can be very exciting. You generally won't see me much on CC if I don't have a trip planned. (I'll let you figure out what that means). :D

I'm with sack....I wouldn't say it's half the fun. It is a good way to ensure that not a minute at port is wasted, hence the most fun at port and fewer regrets that go along with just a few hours on an island (as opposed to a land trip). And like sack I forget about The Critic between cruises, though I won't cast any veiled insults toward Critic junkies. :)

17 days 'til our next cruise on Emerald!!!

Planning is definitely a big part of the fun of travel! Doing all the research, using discussion forums, travels books and even speaking with friends and family who have gone to the same destinations! In fact I begin planning my next trip soon after I return from a trip.

No I don't have fond memories about the planning stages but planning is what helps make my trip more organized and we have a better chance of things running smoothly.

Unfortunately my dh does not enjoy the planning stages at all, he barely gives a strong opinion about much when I am planning so thank goodness for people like you all! :)

I agree it's a large part of my enjoyment! In fact I think it's actually an addiction! I love reading and learning about where we are going and trying to get the best deals on every part of the trip.... I enjoy reading about everyone's experiences. We start planning the year before we go and by the time the trip comes I'm ready to really enjoy the vacation that I've worked so hard to plan. My husband on the other hand doesn't have any idea of what we're doing until we go!:D

I definitely have O.C.P.D. (Obsessive Cruise Planning Disorder). There is no cure that I am aware of. I am thinking about joining an O.C.P.D. support group. Oh wait, I already did when I joined Cruise Critic. So far my DW has not caught this disorder but she does seem to appreciate my regular planning reports and enjoys the anticipation of the cruise.

I detest the planning part of the cruise. Now, the anticipation of the cruise is an entirely different matter. I love the anticipation factor, but the planning can go jump. Talk about a brain overload?

Plus, after 40 or more cruises, the spur of the moment things usually work out a lot better than those that are planned. ;) At least for us.

I couldn't agree more...from the moment we look at booking, the planning and dreaming starts...it's the anticipation, the reviewing...it makes the vacation last longer than the 1 or 2 weeks it actually is...prolonging the fun, excitement and enjoyment of the the entire experience...

Happy Planning! :)

DH thinks I'm nuts but I love the planning. Researching & finding the "perfect" tour, beach, guide, pre/post cruise hotel, restaurant, whatever, all at the very best price is my idea of a good time! Even places we go to regularly always have something new going on............

There is nothing more exciting to me than to research the places to go and things to do and find some "diamonds in the rough" like the same excursions as the ship's but for half the price or putting together a unique excursion plan that then comes together when you get there. One good example was on our last trip, one of our ports was Grenada and we wanted to find a remote beach all to ourselves. Thru research, I identified Magazine Beach to be perfect and when we got there, we were the only ones there. I had also researched restalurants and found a hidden treasure one beach over. The family was delighted by both and we had a wonderful day. Without research that would have never happened.

I read of a study which postulated that 50% of the 'happiness' and fun generated by a vacation trip is as a result of anticipation and planning.

What does everyone think--do you agree?

Kevin

P.S. For me, it is absolutely true. From the minute the trip is booked, I am immersed, and totally enjoy, the planning, anticipation, cruisecritic and web surfing, booking, devouring guidebooks, et cetera. It's one of my favourite pasttimes.

I absolutely agree. That's why I book my cruises so far in advance. I'm obsessive in my planning! I buy guide books, research both ports and the ship online, visit these boards constantly. Oh yes, the planning is 50% of the fun. Unfortunately, when you do so much planning, the let-down post-vacation is even worse!!

I love planning. It's like an adrenaline boost to anticipation. I like the research, making lists (I love making lists), shopping, packing - I love it all.

My husband couldn't care less about any of the pre-trip planning. He listens politely when I prattle on about "And then there was someone on the cruise message board who suggested A and B and C"

But he adores that I do all the planning once we're on board and thankfully he never tries to second guess me and say "why didn't you choose that excursion?" he's happy to go along with any of my ideas. Oh and he's thrilled when he says, "We don't have X with us, do we?" and I said "of course we do, ye of little faith!"

So yes, I even love that he doesn't plan because it let's me show off. I love it all.

ABSOLUTELY! It was especially fun researching the ports of calls with my 2 sons, 9-10, as this was their first cruise ever. Missing "a little" school ;), we had to make this an educational trip. And, I want to book another cruise JUST because I want to start researching and exploring again!

Absolutely, and it works out well in my family since I am the only, hmmm, how can we say this nicely...a-retentive one...I can do all of the planning and research which I love.

Of course the actual vacation is the best part and afterwards it is exciting to share all the stories and pictures with everyone :-)

I love planning. It's like an adrenaline boost to anticipation. I like the research, making lists (I love making lists), shopping, packing - I love it all.

My husband couldn't care less about any of the pre-trip planning. He listens politely when I prattle on about "And then there was someone on the cruise message board who suggested A and B and C"

But he adores that I do all the planning once we're on board and thankfully he never tries to second guess me and say "why didn't you choose that excursion?" he's happy to go along with any of my ideas. Oh and he's thrilled when he says, "We don't have X with us, do we?" and I said "of course we do, ye of little faith!"

So yes, I even love that he doesn't plan because it let's me show off. I love it all.

Nina - you described my husband and I to the "T"! I love and thrive on the planning...he would just take a map, throw a few things in a duffel bag and take off if it was up to him! He just kind of smiles when I tell him what I've learned on message boards. And he never second guesses me either!

This is our first cruise, but I do the pre-planning on any kind of vacation we have ever taken. I think it all began 25+ years ago, when hubby decided we were taking a trip...so we loaded up the kiddos into our Volkswagon Rabbit and headed "south" on a spur of the moment vacation to escape the cold weather, snow and ice storm...only to find out it was freezing cold and rainy in northern FL - so we had to keep driving south, south, south each day and by the time we got to where it was finally warm, it was time to turn around and come home. That made a pre-planner out of me! :D

I absolutely love planning vacations!! I love doing the research and imagining what it will be like, whether it is a cruise or a land vacation. This will only be our 3rd cruise, so the whole process is still relatively new to us so it is very exciting. These boards are great and I love reading all the tips and ideas.

I love, love, love the planning!

My husband and I go to DisneyWorld usually twice a year and I'm an expert on that - so the research part of the planning isn't really necessary anymore.

I just booked our first cruise and it will also be our first time out of the US!!! It's not until June of next year so I have plenty of time to learn about cruising, Silversea, Norway and Denmark - yippppeeeeee!!!

I love love love planning trips!

As this will be my 1st year cruising I'm in planning heaven! My DH just thinks I'm the smartest thing ever because I seem to know everything.

What he doesn't realize is that once we decide on going somewhere I find out everything I can about it so I'm not flying blind.

Archived