Can younger child be "upgraded" into older age group with her sister in Camp Carnival

sunnyNP

Hi! It's our first time cruising with our girls, who are 5 and 8. I've read lots of good things about camp carnival, but was wondering if anyone knows if I can get my 5 year old (who's almost 6) into the 6-8 age group with her older sister? I know she'd prefer being with other grade school aged kids, instead of hanging out with 2 year olds.

My 8 year old is very independant, and wouldn't care if she were by herself or not, but I have a feeling that our 5 year will refuse to participate if she's in the younger group by herself.

Any insight would be appreciated....

Thanks

Depending on when you are sailing yes, its possible if there arent too many kids. If the groups are full they wont be likely to move her. Just ask at the club the first day.

Although the activities in the 2-5 group are geared toward the older age.It is not at all babyish. Face painting, dance parties, making a pirate mask/princess mask and having a parade, making candy jewelry, coloring t-shirts and backpacks. I couldnt keep my DD age 4.5 out of there this last cruise.

If your daughter will not be six at the beginning of the cruise, she will not be allowed into the 6-8 yr. old group. Your 8 year old can move down, but your 5 year old cannot move up. I think Carnival is pretty strict about this. Have you asked this question on the Carnival Board? Hope you and your family have a great cruise!

I've done it. We had 4 kids in our group on Sensation. Two of the kids were in the 6-8 year old group, and 2 were in the 2-5 year old group.

I chose to leave my youngest in the 2 - 5 year old group -- but move one of the other children -- my friend's daughter, into the 6-8 year old group with the 2 older children.

She was a full month from turning 6. Her older brother and my oldest daughter were already old enough for the 6 - 8 year old group.

We prepared her for the 2-5 year old group. Then on the first night, we asked the counselors NICELY (that's is VERY important, I have seen more than one parent try to DEMAND that their child be moved and it didn't work). They gave us permission to move the child on a "conditional basis" - she had 24 hours to prove that she was mature enough for the 6-8 year old group. She was fine. She was never moved back to the younger group.

I have seen many, many times on the Family Board that the counselors on Carnival allow this "conditional" move between groups. But it does seem to depend if the group is full. And if it makes sense. Like one time on Elation I saw a mom ask if her 2 year old could go with the tween big sister. :eek: Yeahhhh that didn't work. ;)

Hi! It's our first time cruising with our girls, who are 5 and 8. I've read lots of good things about camp carnival, but was wondering if anyone knows if I can get my 5 year old (who's almost 6) into the 6-8 age group with her older sister? I know she'd prefer being with other grade school aged kids, instead of hanging out with 2 year olds.

My 8 year old is very independant, and wouldn't care if she were by herself or not, but I have a feeling that our 5 year will refuse to participate if she's in the younger group by herself.

Any insight would be appreciated....

Thanks

Ask when you get there. It might happen, it might not. It will not hurt to ask.

I have seen them OFFER to let a an older 5 go in to the 6-8 and I've seen them refuse a request so it is very inconsistent. The 6-8 mingle heavily with the 9-11 so that switch is usually easier. I will say the 2-5 group is way fun! They do facepainting practically every night and my 7 was always a little jealous that she wasn't being transformed into a rabbit (or whatever that night was) like little sis. Go in open and don't let a refusal spoil anything for your family!

Archived