When Do You Start Packing For Cruise...

bencruzN

I'm luck enough to have lots of room now that our kids are gone. I keep a Carnival duffel bag with cruise stuff in it, mostly toiletry items. I shop all year for bargains and things I think I might like to take on the next trip. First time I packed way too early and the day before found myself throwing more things in "just in case". This last cruise I waited until the day before and had each day's outfit planned out....still took too much. I'll have to keep cruising until I get it just right :eek: . Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

We start a week ahead with a staging area and then actually pack a couple of days before the cruise. We have some travel items put away in a special travel drawer, so everything is relatively easy to find. Our problem is once the suitcases come out, the cats then know we are going away and that could lead to an entire new thread. ;)

I have been shopping since we put deposit on our trip also. I also shop a year ahead for my kids so this past summer I bought all the summer clothes they will be wearing this summer. I went ahead and packed what we take for them in their suitcases since I would be needing to store them anyhow. I will have to go thru and make sure it all fits about a week before we leave but for the most part they are packed for. We leave in 15 days and about a week or so ago I pulled all my dress clothes out and matched up my shoes and got all my shorts I am taking out and have them matched up to shirts and shoes as well. Nothing is in my suitcase yet though -don't want wrinkles. I am so excited I keep buying things we MAY need but probably won't..oh well that to me is half the fun! I am looking for a cheap over the door shoe rack. Checked at our dollar store and they don't carry them. The HUNT IS ON. LOL!

I am looking for a cheap over the door shoe rack. Checked at our dollar store and they don't carry them. The HUNT IS ON. LOL!

36-Pair Over-the-Door Shoe Rack

from

http://www.footsmart.com/Product.aspx?shortsku=90003&srccode=WP122

Closetmaid 18 pair Over-the-Door Shoe Rack

from

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@0441269628.1106424659@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgkadddjfhkiiecehgcemgdffmdflh.0&vertical=SEARS&sid=I0033900090001300085&pid=00959591000

Glad to see that I am not the only "early packer." I don't cruise until June but, I already have things in a tote bag--items specific for the trip--not things I'll need before then. I have some clothes (just have to always be on the lookout for new cruise outfits) grouped together in my closet as well. I won't pack those until the night before, however. Thinking, planning, and early packing help pass the days until June!!!!

Started shopping a few weeks ago, planning outfits in my head about a week ago. (I am the least organized person ever, and such a procrastinator, so a month ahead of time is amazing for me... funny how packing for a cruise never seems like work ;)). Generally I start packing random non-clothing/toiletry(hair staightener, camera stuff, anything to keep me occupied on plane rides) items about a week in advance, clothing with a few days to spare, and make-up/toiletries the morning of (CANNOT fly without putting on my make-up, so that has to stay out :))

However, I suppose I have an early packing disorder too... I buy stuff on cruises thinking "this would be GREAT for my next cruise"...

We always leave the day after Christmas for our cruise. We live in New Jersey so our clothes are clean and on the hangar. I start putting things in the suitcase a week before because we celebrate Christmas Eve at my house and Christmas Day at my brothers. It really is very hectic but we appreciate the relaxation - once we get there. This year I thought - how will we ever get everything done. We Do.

We are lucky enough to live in South Florida. As a general rule, we take a cruise with just myself & DH every other year (had to skip a year when he was stationed overseas), and a Disney vacation with the kids every year. So, I keep two tote bags in my bedroom year-round. One is to toss in things for the family vacation to Disney World (Mickey ears, autograph books, etc.), and one to toss in cruise stuff whenever I see it mentioned on the board or happen to think of it on my own (power strip, duct tape, Downey Wrinkle Release, etc.). Those are kind of ongoing pojects. About a month before the cruise, DH & I make a list of what we want to take, as far as clothes and shoes go. We purchase any missing items during that month, and about two weeks before we leave, whenever I do laundry I set aside the items on the "cruise list", so I know they'll be clean and ready to go. Since we live in an area where our everyday casual-wear is the same as or cruise-wear, I really can't pack any sooner than a couple of weeks out!

Definately two weeks before, all but the clothes, then I am so undecided on how much to take. I took just what was needed the last time, but this is a longer cruise, so I know I will take waaaay too much. Lots of good sales today, so I bought more clothes, mostly for the formal nights.

Here is a packing trick I have head of

1. All year long save clothes that you are planning to throw out.

2. Pack those clothes for your cruise

3. After you wear them once on the cruise throw them out.

advantages

A. More room the pack you do-dads that you bought on the cruise

B. Don't have to wash those clothes when you get home.

[quote name='derf5585']Here is a packing trick I have head of

1. All year long save clothes that you are planning to throw out.
2. Pack those clothes for your cruise
3. After you wear them once on the cruise throw them out.

advantages
A. More room the pack you do-dads that you bought on the cruise
B. Don't have to wash those clothes when you get home.[/QUOTE]

A man's trick if I've ever heard one... waaaay too practical for a fussy girl like myself. I bring all of my best summer clothes and show them off on cruises! LOL

I really did not think that I had a staging area, but the more I think about it I realize that I do. We take a lot of other trips and this will just be our second cruise. As soon as I booked this cruise in October I started buying items on summer clearance. So I have them in a cruise area in one of the spare bedrooms. I also found DH some new swimtrunks.

I make a list of items 1-2 weeks out and pack it all up the day before.

I'm pretty bad. I usually cruise every other August. I started shopping for my cruise clothes/shoes (lots of flip flops) a year before my cruise. The first week of August is when all the summer sales start. I pack them away and then organize about a month before I sail. My husband of course thinks I'm nuts. I on the other hand don't have to shop before the cruise, with the exception of toiletries and film. :D

[b]Shopping Tip ;) [/b]

Ladies, here's a tip for those that cruise in the fall. The first week of August, Lord & Taylor, Hechts, Filenes has a huge sale on all their summer merchandise, plus they have coupons at that time. I make out like bandit. Sign up to have coupons emailed to you. (May Companies) As for formal dresses, the best time to shop is right after prom season. Even after Xmas they have really nice formal dresses available for cheap. I just my formal dress from Lord & Taylor for $30. The dress was originally $200.

Happy packing, shopping & smooth sailin'

My husband and I are travelling on our 1st cruise in May and we started putting things aside in our spare room as soon as we booked in Oct. For us this is a chance to spruce up our much neglected wardrobes from 25 years of marriage, college, kids etc., so we are enjoying shopping and putting things aside for our big trip. We are also looking forward to having some new clothes when we return. This week we went and bought new luggage, the first I have had since I was 16. Can't wait just 15 more weeks till the Glory.:)

Archived