Looking for information on Eli's Eco Tour

cruzzers

We will be in Antigua in March and looking for a good tour to take, preferrably by boat. We found info on Eli's and just wanted some first hand info about the realibility of his tours. There are 6 of us and we love to snorkel and take pictures of wildlife. Any information will be appreciated

We did Eli's tour a few years back and had a great time. He was very good about communicating and the tour went off just as planned.

This is an excerpt from my review

Antigua - This was our favorite excursion. We did Eli's Eco tour and it was a lot of fun. They met us right at the dock promptly and we were on our way. We saw Dolphins, Turtles, various sea life and a number of different birds. The stops were beautiful, the water clear and colorful. Before Lunch we stopped at Bird Island on the boundary of the Atlantic and Caribbean that was wonderful. We took a pretty easy walk to the top and the views were incredible while some elected to stay by the boat and sunbath and/or snorkel. When one of our party decided to make the trek up while everyone else was headed down, our guide Chris repeated the entire explanation for just them. Lunch was provided and the barbecued chicken was very tasty. We then went to the Hell's Gate, a natural bridge which you can choose to climb. There were some tight spots and the rocks were sharp, but quite a few managed it. The final stop was at a reef for some snorkeling. The only negative this day was that the wind was pretty strong and the snorkeling took some effort to keep from getting blown back to the boat. We were back at the dock by 4:00. This rated a perfect 10 on our scale.

specific pictures from our tour here

and more in our signature

We did Eli's tour a few years back and had a great time. He was very good about communicating and the tour went off just as planned.

This is an excerpt from my review

Antigua - This was our favorite excursion. We did Eli's Eco tour and it was a lot of fun. They met us right at the dock promptly and we were on our way. We saw Dolphins, Turtles, various sea life and a number of different birds. The stops were beautiful, the water clear and colorful. Before Lunch we stopped at Bird Island on the boundary of the Atlantic and Caribbean that was wonderful. We took a pretty easy walk to the top and the views were incredible while some elected to stay by the boat and sunbath and/or snorkel. When one of our party decided to make the trek up while everyone else was headed down, our guide Chris repeated the entire explanation for just them. Lunch was provided and the barbecued chicken was very tasty. We then went to the Hell's Gate, a natural bridge which you can choose to climb. There were some tight spots and the rocks were sharp, but quite a few managed it. The final stop was at a reef for some snorkeling. The only negative this day was that the wind was pretty strong and the snorkeling took some effort to keep from getting blown back to the boat. We were back at the dock by 4:00. This rated a perfect 10 on our scale.

specific pictures from our tour here

and more in our signature

Do you need to know how to swim to do this tour? My dh likes to snorkel but I don't swim. TIA

• 2 weeks later...
We will be in Antigua in March and looking for a good tour to take, preferrably by boat. We found info on Eli's and just wanted some first hand info about the realibility of his tours. There are 6 of us and we love to snorkel and take pictures of wildlife. Any information will be appreciated

OP - we were on this tour just last week. It was one of the highlights of the cruise. Super easy to meet them right where you get off the boat. There is a nice stop at bird island, lots of good pics there and some time to swim. Then a little more sight seeing, and to hell's gate (at least I think that's the name). More good pics there. After that, it's snorkel time. They also have lunch in there. They also gave us some sugar cane, that was really cool. All in all, I was really impressed with them. The crew was great, very informative, and easy going. The water down there is hard to put into words. I took about 450 pics with a Canon D10 - make sure you bring a decent underwater camera! You will regret if you done. Bon Voyage!

Do you need to know how to swim to do this tour? My dh likes to snorkel but I don't swim. TIA

They do provide life vests while snorkeling or swimming. Snorkeling is more about floating than swimming. The salt water helps provide bouyancy. I would make sure to practice in calm water before snorkeling (especially item 3 below)

There are 3 opportunities when we went to swim and snorkel.

At Bird Island (lunch), see pictures in post above with boats stopped in the cove. Calm water, easy to get in and out of the water. Not a lot to see, but was still fun.

At Hell's Gate. This is right on the Atlantic Ocean border so is typically much rougher (also a picture of this). Here, all you can do is jump out and swim to the island. There were some people that did swim here rather than do the island and I suspect on calm days, while other doing the island, you could snorkel.

At the reef (no picture posted). This stop is specifically for snorkeling and the day we were there, it was windy. Because you are off shore, getting in and out was a bit trickier and where you might be a bit more anxious. I suspect on a calm day, this would be pretty nice, even though windy when were there, we saw a variety of sea life.

• 3 weeks later...

Just did this tour last week. While it was scenic, we felt the first 2.5-3 hours of it were relatively boring. Basically, just rode around the waters and were pointed out to a lot of info that really became uninteresting quite fast. Just wished it was more active (swimming, snorkeling, etc.). If sitting on a boat and sightseeing (which you pretty much already are doing on the ship) is your thing, go for it.

• 2 weeks later...

We did this tour on Mar. 31, 2010. We made the 3 stops referenced above. A relatively small group (20) so it was MUCH better than the cruise's shore excursions. The staff was friendly and informative. The lunch was great. They allowed you to do what you wanted at most stops whether it was hike, swim, snorkel, or just stay in the boat. One of the highlights of our cruise :). Many photo opportunities.

Here you go http://www.adventureantigua.com/tour.html

After hearing the reviews of it being a little boring, I am considering doing this one instead.

http://www.creolecruisesantigua.com/tours.html

The Lobster looks good, but the tour sounds almost identical itinerary. We did Eli's and recognize many of the pcitures in the Gallery. The spot they stop for lunch (Bird Island) is the same place. And you might want to compare the boats they use. If you want excitement, Eli also offers an extreme tour.

But I alway's encourage everyone to make the decisions for your self and since I have not done this other one, can't say anything about it either way.

2324667217_6a2f69b624.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Here you go http://www.adventureantigua.com/tour.html

After hearing the reviews of it being a little boring, I am considering doing this one instead.

http://www.creolecruisesantigua.com/tours.html

We've done the Eli's EcoTour 4 times. We're active, enjoy hiking and snorkeling, and have never had a minute of boredom on any of Eli's tours. We've also done Eli's Xtreme Circumnav and sailed on his classic Caribbean sailboat, Ocean Nomad, this past January. Eli's tours are our absolute favorite of any excursion we've ever done, and are a large part of the reason we keep returning to Antigua.

• 2 weeks later...

Since you have participated in all three of the tours, can you tell me what makes each distinct? I loved Eli's Eco Tour 2 years ago and it was the best excursion of our cruise. I don't want to do the same tour twice, but was thinking about the Xtreme or the sailing. My fear is that they will be too similar. Does anyone have any info or a description of those tours? Thanks!

The website has very accurate descriptions of the tours. http://www.adventureantigua.com In a nutshell the Extreme goes around the entire island with a stop at stingray city, Nelson's Dockyard, a snorkel stop at the Pillars Of Hurcules and a beach stop. Same lunch as on the Eco tour and of course the rum punch. Very different from the Eco-Tour.

The day sail is very laid back, Eli only takes 6-8 people on this one. We sailed up towards Nelson's Dockyard, stopped for snorkeling at two places on the reef, had the wonderful lunch and then sailed out towards Montserrate ( you could see the volcano going off) and then back to St. John's to meet up with our cruise ship. Since it's sailing it's a way more relaxing day than the other tours.

If you want fast and active do the Extreme if you want laid back do the day sail. Or do like Jodi and I do and keep going back to Antigua and alternate the tours:eek:

Ernie

I loved the Eco Tour. DH and myself are all for snorkeling, and we love to take underwater pictures. The snorkeling spots (especially the last stop) were wonderful. We saw turtles, huge sea fans, and tons of fish and coral. Eli was very professional, and this excursion was very fun. The food was delicious, and the group was not so large that you couldn't enjoy the day. I think this was well worth the money, and will do it again in the future.

• 3 months later...

I'm trying to get information on the return time for the Circumnav Tour (Adventure Antigua). The website says the return time is 4:15p, but the ship leaves at 5p. That seems to be cutting it close. Do you know if there is any leeway in that return time (even 4p would be less worrisome). Has anyone had issues with returns from this tour?

Thanks

Laura

I'm trying to get information on the return time for the Circumnav Tour (Adventure Antigua). The website says the return time is 4:15p, but the ship leaves at 5p. That seems to be cutting it close. Do you know if there is any leeway in that return time (even 4p would be less worrisome). Has anyone had issues with returns from this tour?

Thanks

Laura

The pick-up and drop-off place is a 5 minute walk from the ship. Never had any concerns about getting back. All aboard should be 4:30 so you've got 15 minutes to walk back. As far as I know Eli's crews have never had anyone miss a ship. They've even helped another tour company get it's passengers back in time when they had engine trouble. Best thing to do is contact them and ask. We've also been on tours with them when the passengers ( all from the same ship) wanted to be back a little earlier and they got us in around 4.

Ernie

We are going on the Xtreme Circumnav Tour in September. Here is an excerpt from the e-mail they sent me with regard to the leave and return times:

The boat pulls up on the dockside of the ‘Exotic Antigua’ Boutique on the Redcliffe Quay Board Walk (wooden Dock), which is a 3 minute walk from your ship. You must be on the dock outside of ‘Exotic Antigua’ at 8:35 because the boat leaves at 8:45am, and have you back at 3:35pm at the latest.

If they get us back by 3:35, then that gets us back to the ship with time to spare. Whatever you decide to do, have fun on your cruise! :)

Does Eli still let you swim to Hell's Gate and climb it. We did his tour years ago when he was just starting and loved climbing Hell's Gate. Does the Extreme tour stop there or just the Eco tour?

The Eco-tour is the only one to stop at Hell's Gate. You can wave at it as you go by on the Extreme.

Ernie

Is the Eco-tour pick up and drop off the same as the extreme nav?

No. We first signed up for the Eco tour, then changed our minds and switched to Extreme Circumnav.

According to the e-mail they sent us, the Extreme Circumnav leaves earlier (be there by 8:35, leaves at 8:45), and returns to the ship earlier (by 3:35 at the latest).

For the Eco Tour, you are asked to be there by 9:50 for a 10:00 departure. It returns you to the ship by 4:10 at the latest.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I did Eli's Ecotour last October. . . it was fantastic. It was our favorite day on the cruise which had 7 ports. It had everything. . . boating through mangroves, relaxing, light hiking, lunch, snorkeling, Devil's Bridge (you get to hike up it) and rum punch on the return ride. They were punctual, polite, entertaining and reassurred me that their worst nightmare was me missing my ship (I asked repeatedly when they would have us back to the ship). We did not feel it was boring at all, unless you are looking for a constant adreneline rush. You won't regret it.

Archived