PWS tour on day of departing...

javajaws

I was thinking about taking the PWS tour from 11:00am to 5:00pm (the "Wilderness Explorer") in Whittier on my departure date. My ship departs at 8:30pm with checkin until 7:00pm.

Are the 2 hours between 5:00pm and 7:00pm enough time to drop off a rental car and get checked in? Any long lines I should be worried about?

Thx.

I was thinking about taking the PWS tour from 11:00am to 5:00pm (the "Wilderness Explorer") in Whittier on my departure date. My ship departs at 8:30pm with checkin until 7:00pm.

Are the 2 hours between 5:00pm and 7:00pm enough time to drop off a rental car and get checked in? Any long lines I should be worried about?

Thx.

It should be, if the ship sails at 8:30 p.m. you need to be on board by 7:00 p.m. preferably. I am sure Wilderness Explorer should have a place for you to place your luggage till you return. I don't think you will be able to check into the ship before hand, as they typically wouldn't start checking in until noon. We're sailing at 8:30 p.m. as well, and are taking the train from Anchorage to Whittier and then going with Major Marine, PWS Tour and it will return to the port around 6:30 p.m. Prior to boarding the Train we will tell them that we want our luggage placed on the ship, so once we get on the train, we will not see our luggage until we get to our cabin.

We are going to book the PWS tour. Is it better to book the train with the tour Co. or book the train my self? When we get on the train can we tell them to place our luggage on the ship? I know the tour Co. will hold the luggage for us. I would feel better knowing the luggage is on the ship when we are done with PWS tour.

Thanks for any information you can give us.

We did the 11am tour last July. We tried to drop off our bags at the Coral before the tour, but Princess would not let us.

Also make sure if you rent a car the dates and times are correct. We were suppose to have the rental car till 6pm. The girl in Anchorage put in the wrong date and we were charged an extra day for the rental. We drove 69 miles and was charged $550. :eek: The independent operator in Whittier was .....difficult, shall we say, and refused to correct the mistake even when the manager in Anchorage admitted the error. We had to pay and then dispute the charge with corporate.

I had a lot of questions as to how to get our bags to the ship while we went on our PWS cruise. After calling Princess, they were clueless about what actually goes on with bags in Alaska. (I got lots of different answers) I found out much more info by calling the hotel, PWS cruise, and Magic Bus. They all do this everyday and know exactly how it works. Also, the Alaska Railroad can give you information about checking your bags with the cruiselines at the station and then traveling to Whittier.

We are checking our bags with Princess at Hotel Captain Cook the morning of our ride to Whittier, taking PWS cruise and then going over to ship where bags will be waiting in our cabin. We are using the Magic Bus who will pick us up at the hotel and deliver us to the PWS cruise. Luckily we are staying at Captain Cook so that makes it easier, but there are options for those who aren't staying there. We chose the Magic Bus because they make photo stops along the way to Whittier, don't leave as early as the train, and quite frankly, the owner, Tim, was so helpful and informative about how it all works we chose to use him for the customer service he has provided!

Good luck! There are ways to work it out. :)

Travel Maven I see we are on the same cruise. Thanks for your information. We are going to book 26 Glacier or Major Marine what one did you book? We are staying at the Embassy Hotel so do you think I would be able to take my luggage and drop it off at the Captain Cook Hotel then I would know for sure it would get to the ship. Also do you have a E-mail for the Magic bus Co.?

Thanks

Betty:)

Travel Maven I see we are on the same cruise. Thanks for your information. We are going to book 26 Glacier or Major Marine what one did you book? We are staying at the Embassy Hotel so do you think I would be able to take my luggage and drop it off at the Captain Cook Hotel then I would know for sure it would get to the ship. Also do you have a E-mail for the Magic bus Co.?

Thanks

Hey Heiner,

I would just google Magic Bus and get the email address. Ask for Tim. He is great. We are using Prince William Sound Cruises. It is just the 4 hour glacier cruise and we are using a 2 for 1 coupon. As far as the luggage goes, you may need to get your luggage to the drop off center down from the Captain Cook. I would ask Tim. If I remember correctly he will pick you up at your hotel but I'm not sure about the luggage at hotels other than the Captain Cook.

I did just see that Princess is now offering a pre-cruise excursion and transfer to PWS. I would assume they would handle your luggage with that excursion.

Happy Planning!:)

We are going to book the PWS tour. Is it better to book the train with the tour Co. or book the train my self? When we get on the train can we tell them to place our luggage on the ship? I know the tour Co. will hold the luggage for us. I would feel better knowing the luggage is on the ship when we are done with PWS tour.

Thanks for any information you can give us.

If you are doing the Wilderness Explorer (6 hour) the train will not get you there in time so you need to take a shuttle. PWS offers a combo tour with transport if you want.

• 3 weeks later...
I had a lot of questions as to how to get our bags to the ship while we went on our PWS cruise. After calling Princess, they were clueless about what actually goes on with bags in Alaska. (I got lots of different answers) I found out much more info by calling the hotel, PWS cruise, and Magic Bus. They all do this everyday and know exactly how it works. Also, the Alaska Railroad can give you information about checking your bags with the cruiselines at the station and then traveling to Whittier.

We are checking our bags with Princess at Hotel Captain Cook the morning of our ride to Whittier, taking PWS cruise and then going over to ship where bags will be waiting in our cabin. We are using the Magic Bus who will pick us up at the hotel and deliver us to the PWS cruise. Luckily we are staying at Captain Cook so that makes it easier, but there are options for those who aren't staying there. We chose the Magic Bus because they make photo stops along the way to Whittier, don't leave as early as the train, and quite frankly, the owner, Tim, was so helpful and informative about how it all works we chose to use him for the customer service he has provided!

Good luck! There are ways to work it out. :)

Thanks

We are also doing this prior to boarding the Diamond. We decided on the 26 Glacier Cruise, since the Diamond isn't going to College Fjord on the southbound routes. We're dropping off our rental car at the downtown Hertz (suppossedly close to the Captain Cook Hotel), getting picked up by the Magic Bus outside the Captain Cook Hotel, and they're taking care of getting our luggage to the ship.

dogdoc2002

Archived