Snorkelling at Bannister Island

angel 77

We are looking at ecotours for a trip to Bannister Island. We want to snorkel as well, and are looking at the trip to Gallows Reef. What I am wondering is whether there is any snorkelling right from Bannister Island. I am not a great snorkeller but do like to get out and have a look. We LOVE the beach as well and with the snorkel option, there only leaves 2 hours for beach time.

I went to Bannister Island last year when we were in Belize. I don't think you will see much if you tried snorkeling right off the beach. The water is clear and very beautiful, but I didn't see many fish. When I was there they offered to take you out to the reef by boat for around $20 a person. Everyone in my party really enjoyed it. The boat ride was pretty short and the reef was amazing. It was definitely worth the extra $20.

err1028, How did you get to Bannister Island? I was also looking at the Ecotour. Which goes to Gallows Reef. But if we can get to Bannister on our own and then just grab a snorkel boat for 20.00 that would be a better deal all around. Just how far is Bannister from the pier? Thanks!!!

err1028 Thank you for the info! We are going to Bannister Island and snorkling out at the reef off of the boat. I have been trying to find out how the snorkling is so I was glad to read your post!! My sister doesn't want to snorkle so we thought this would be a good excursion, she can have her beach and the rest of us can snorkle!!!

err1028, How did you get to Bannister Island? I was also looking at the Ecotour. Which goes to Gallows Reef. But if we can get to Bannister on our own and then just grab a snorkel boat for 20.00 that would be a better deal all around. Just how far is Bannister from the pier? Thanks!!!

You can NOT go to Bannister Island on your own. Only through one of the tour operators.

We actually booked an excursion to Bannister Island through Carnival. As another poster said, you cannot get there on your own. It was offered as a beach break through Carnival. I waited until we were on the ship to book it so that I could confirm that it did go to Bannister Island. It was really nice because we did not have to go into Belize City. The boat picked us up right from the ship where we were tendered. Our plan was to spend the day at the beach but when we got there it was cloudy and windy. The snorkeling ended up working out perfect. It didnt matter that it was cloudy and the snorkeling is great. We are planning on going again next month when we are there. :) I hope you all have a great time!!

IMG_5324.jpg.f6796e8829ca231a54eb089fb1d0f741.jpg

IMG_5326.jpg.7c4350087f6fb9c0644738f52e711efd.jpg

Thank you for the pictures!!

Carnival still offers it under the Snorkle at Turneffe with Beach Break. I think it is 69.95.

We booked through Coral Breeze for 60.00/ My sister was 50.00 as she is not snorkling. Thought it was kind of expensive, but didn't want to chance finding a tour and taking up time at the port as we have 3 other ships with us in port that day.

We debated between Carnival/Coral Breeze but DH and my sister and her DH have never been to Belize and they want to go into the port and look at the shops etc. If we went w/Carnival we would have to board again and go back in so hopefully we will get in early enough and can look around before our tour!!?? It seems some on the board say you have longer on Bannister if you go w/a tour company and only about an hour or so with Carnival...do you know if that is true???

This is one port that has been a real headache planning;)

Archived