TA on the Rotterdam

Dog Drool

I am thinking of doing the TA in July of 2011 for my 50th birthday it will be a month after my Bday but I could not find any suitable on that day although being out to sea means the day did not happen so I did not get any older. :D

Any body take this cruise and can give me any insight?

A trans-At in July? On the Rotterdam? :) That's most unusual. I don't know anything about it, but would love to. What's the route?

I did the trans-At on the Rotterdam last October/November. It went from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale over 18 days. The beginning of the cruise was fairly busy with (interesting) ports, then there were (seemingly) endless sea days crossing. It was divine.

Post a little more about the cruise and I'm sure there will be more answers.

I think Ruth missed that there were no TAs in the middle of summer, you will celebrate (wish I could join you) when the Rotterdam does a TA. Sorry if I am wrong, Ruth has a world of good information which she willingly gives on this board.:)

We sailed a 16 day TA in 2008 from Lisbon and would love to repeat. We had two days pre-cruise in Lisbon and wish we had spent 4 or 5 at least. We stayed in a hotel booked through a European chain and I didn't see any other US citizens there, but heard some English, a LOT of Portugese and Spanish (the Portugese we met understood Spanish, but answered us in Portugese) quite a bit of Dutch or other Germanic language, and a busload that only spoke Japanese. :) I love to travel to see, hear and smell new things and NEVER stay at an American hotel or eat at a chain restaurant.:eek:

The 2nd day:( I found out the local beer I had been drinking in the bar was $2.00 but a good Portugese wine was only $1.00.:o:eek: Guess what I drank after that.

As you may guess, the hotel catering to Europeans and tours had excellent service, employees that did not always have their hands out for a tip, and cost a lot less than the Hilton. The location was not as good, but I had no trouble (even using a cane) walking to the HOHO bus that passed them.

I think Ruth missed that there were no TAs in the middle of summer, you will celebrate (wish I could join you) when the Rotterdam does a TA. Sorry if I am wrong, Ruth has a world of good information which she willingly gives on this board.:)

Thanks! And, that's what I said---I don't know anything about this cruise. If it's in July I suspect that it's not from the Med to Florida, so I'd like to know the itinerary. If it's on the northern route, I have done that several times, so I could have some more info to share. As would several others, I'm sure.

Hope the OP expands on the inquiry.

That route is likely to be a bit (just a bit) on the cool side. There's also a better possibility of some bumps in the water than there would be on a route to Florida.

However, that's not to say it's not a desirable cruise. It is! :)

You'll have several consecutive sea days on the crossing. Those days can be as leisurely or as busy as you like. If you want to spend the day in a deck chair, soaking up the sun, you may be disappointed. My travels across on the northern route have had more gray skies than blue.

Thanks for asking about it! I'm getting excited thinking about it.

What else would you like to know?

i will be traveling solo How are TA by yourself? I would be looking for friends to grab a dinner and a drink with.

Unless I'm with some CC friends, I usually travel solo. There's been too many solo trips to count.

You have to approach others, not just be approachable. Join in on activities, start up conversations. I find it's easier to meet people in lounges if I sit at the bar. I prefer fixed seating for dinner as it's easier to get to know your tablemates as you spend more evenings with them.

Put on a big smile, stick your chin out, and go! With all those sea days it will be easier meeting up with people.

Archived