Confused about Maasdam

30scruiser

Hello!

Thanks for all this information! I'm also considering this cruise, however have never sailed on a HAL ship and worried about the bathroom as I heard there is a large step one has to take to use the shower. With my elderly mother, I wonder if they have showers that are walk-in on an Oceanview stateroom.

The last time I was on the Ryndam (2009), my favorite Cabin is L500. I believe it has a Shower without the "step" in order to get in the shower without tripping. The Ryndam and Maasdam are "Sister Ships", so I would think both Cabins would be the same!:)

We have been told Maasdam will never get the Poolette :) and we pray that is true. Our source is 'excellent'.

Correction...... Sources. Heard it from more than one person.

Sails if the Maasdam is not going to get the poolette (and I have my fingers crossed it never happens to any of the rest of the "S" class ships) , what will they do with the back of the ship, add the cabins they want, get rite of the navigation pool, what? Any information on that?

Thank you SO MUCH for your post. We were on the Maasdam 10/09 Montreal-Ft. L. and had many problems. The thermostat was impossible to regulate and a water pipe burst leaving many cabins without water and when we did get water, of course it was not hot.

We've been on 28 HAL cruises and never had these problems before. Took the "older" ship because of the itinerary which was great.

It was good to read your review as we are booked on her again (and longer this time!) on the Voyage of the Vikings roundtrip Boston 7/17/10 35 days. Hoping we won't encounter these problems again but who knows??? Also thinking about the eruption in Iceland although our cruise is a few months off. Guess we'll just keep our fingers crossed.

Thank you again for your post.

[B]I hate to be excited about our upcoming Maasdam cruise as I know so many are stressing about their European cruises but we will be on Maasdam VERY soon and I shall verify with anyone who stands still long enough about the 'poolette' situation for Maasdam.

Last I heard from two people who have good info that by the time Maasdam (scheduled last) is supposed to get her added cabins and 'poolette', they won't do it. Maasdam was saved at the last minute, so to speak. She was supposed to be first for this round of SOE because she was last for the other SOE. Only because they didn't have all the necessary materials was she rescheduled and Veendam went first.

DH cannot wait to plant himself in his favorite spot at aft pool and let the tanning begin. :) I wouldn't dream of naming a favorite bartender...... so many of them we've known for so long, I'd never select one over another. :D Crew has been moved around a bit lately though.

[/B]

[quote name='sail7seas']<snip>
[B]Sea King seems to know Maasdam as well as we do. :D But he doesn't have it exactly right ..... Maasdam's crew is a "20" at least. [/B]

[B]We LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT.[/B]

[B]We positively adore the Maasdam, have sailed her a great many days [/B][/quote]

I'll second exactly what sail7seas said...

we love the Maasdam.. for us it's the 'right size ship'...we've sailed over 130 days on her... will be back on the end of next week--again-- for 14 more.. plan on going back in the fall for 21 more days on her...

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]I hate to be excited about our upcoming Maasdam cruise as I know so many are stressing about their European cruises but we will be on Maasdam VERY soon and I shall verify with anyone who stands still long enough about the 'poolette' situation for Maasdam.

Last I heard from two people who have good info that by the time Maasdam (scheduled last) is supposed to get her added cabins and 'poolette', they won't do it. Maasdam was saved at the last minute, so to speak. She was supposed to be first for this round of SOE because she was last for the other SOE. Only because they didn't have all the necessary materials was she rescheduled and Veendam went first.

DH cannot wait to plant himself in his favorite spot at aft pool and let the tanning begin. :) I wouldn't dream of naming a favorite bartender...... so many of them we've known for so long, I'd never select one over another. :D Crew has been moved around a bit lately though.[/B][/quote]

according to what we were told in Dec on our Christmas and New Years cruises on her.. as well as what they said on our Feb-Mar Maasdam Canal cruise.. the 'poolette' has been scrubbed.. they finally.. thank God--hopefully.. realized the errors of their ways in screwing up on the Veendam big time with major plumbing problems encountered with the 'Retreat (poolette) pool leaking down into the new Balcony cabins... a major mess.. amongst other screwups.. think the Rotterdam has the same problems...

hopefully they'll only do minimal upgrades and no 'poolette'.. we'd miss 'our hangout-spot' looking down from the Lido deck at the Seaview pool if they went thru with them.. if it ain't broke.. leave it the heck alone... but I guess 'corporate misfits' just can't see that.. all they see on paper is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ signs ....I try not to get started about that so I'll cut if off at that

[B]Hope to see you aboard Maasdam, Stakeout. We, too, board soon.
We already booked our 2011 Canada/New England b-to-b despite we haven't sailed it 2010 yet. :)
Right now we have 53 days booked for upcoming cruising on the beautiful Maasdam. Never enough! :)

[/B]

Archived