Swimming with a 15 month old

shortm

Hi Shortm, could you guide me to the link of the ships that have a splash zone or small baby pool, if you still have it?

For NON-Potty Trained tots?

Disney Magic, Disney Wonder, Disney Dream (to be built, but bookings are open), Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas, Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas, Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas, Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas and Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas (under construction, bookings are open)

On the Disney ships - it's a small Mickey Fantasia Hat that sprays water. On the Royal Caribbean ships, it's a small area called the "Baby Splash Zone" within the H20 zone - the water is less than 6" deep.

That's it. No other cruise line has the filtration system in place to handle the swim diapers.

Oh don't worry, I am sure he will be potty trained before three. We had tried right when my son was 2...didn't work..lol Then didn't try again till last month.

Now its teaching to aim..lol you know boys :rolleyes:

Ha Ha!! My boys could "write" their names in the snow in the backyard with more accuracy than "aiming" in the toilet! (I'm not sure aim improves with age...!) We used cloth diapers, so toilet training was never a big issue. When you're one kid among five, sibling peer pressure was a positive factor. Having an older sibling say, "You stink!" was a huge motivator.

haha, our son doesn't want to stand up...he wants to sit down..and then we have the problem of him "aiming it" down..lol so sometimes he gets a little on the back of his pants lol....

The only accidents he has...is when he is on the toilet and goes a little pee happy onto the back of the pants..haha

great to know that RCCL has freshwater pools! My 2 year old hated the salty water on Dream.

My 2 year old was/is potty trained by his second birthday .... so it can be done! But it is totally child dependant .... his sister was 2 1/2.

Does anyknow know why they don't allow swim diapers? Personally, I'd feel better knowing there are kids in the water with a hygienic swim diaper on than to think a parent is putting their kids in sans diaper and they are not potty-trained.

FYI ~ for what it is worth .... I don't think there are any diaper police. On the Dream, I saw many kids with swim diapers on IN the pool and no one said anything. Like I said above, I have no issues with this, and I'm not exactly sure what the issue is.

Does anyknow know why they don't allow swim diapers? Personally, I'd feel better knowing there are kids in the water with a hygienic swim diaper on than to think a parent is putting their kids in sans diaper and they are not potty-trained.

FYI ~ for what it is worth .... I don't think there are any diaper police. On the Dream, I saw many kids with swim diapers on IN the pool and no one said anything. Like I said above, I have no issues with this, and I'm not exactly sure what the issue is.

Well, then, let me explain what the issue is. Swim diapers do NOT hold in solids - think fecal tea bags - so ecoli and whoknowswhatelse is introduced into the water that does not have an adequate filtration system or chemicals to kill it. This can be very dangerous to an adult in good health, but fatal to a small child or person with immune problems. So, if I had a child who WAS toilet trained and saw kids in swim diapers in a pool where they did not belong, I would be pretty upset by it as those selfish people would be putting MY child at serious risk.

We just potty-trained our 2.5 year-old and it was simple. Maybe you should wait a year so your child can enjoy playing in the adult pool. You can take a regular vacation to a resort and make sure that they allow kids with swim diapers and go there this year and go on a cruise next year.

There are people who have a big problem with kids in pools with swim diapers at all, chlorinated or not. I have read though that it is because it is a smaller pool with less possibility of dispersion. The pools on cruise ships are chemically treated with something, but I am not sure what. Maybe larger, chlorinated pools less likely to make you sick?

For what its worth, that's why I like RCI over Carnival, they have Deck Patrol and police the H20 zone for things like that. The whole thought just kind of skeeves me out of swimming in fecal matter.

So swim diapers are not safe for salt-water pools but are safe for chlorinated pools? Just curious why disney has no objection to swim diapers (they sell them at all resort stores).

Land based pools -- SUPER chemically treated because its not dumped back into the ocean twice/day. Disney resort doesn't have to worry about killing marine life. And Disney resort does worry about diapers because they do have smaller toddler pools at their resorts, I know they have one at the Widlerness Lodge. It was super chlorinated - enough to gag a magot. :p It was much more chlorinated than the main pool, just reaked of chlorine.

So you may not realize how much they care about those diapers. ;) But they are looking out for the kids, even when you don't know it. :)

On ships, however, the chemicals aren't possible.

So swim diapers are not safe for salt-water pools but are safe for chlorinated pools? Just curious why disney has no objection to swim diapers (they sell them at all resort stores).

Pools on ships are not at all like pools on land. WDW or DL have land-based pools which are heavily chlorinated and filtered. Ships are moving vessels and cannot do this without specially designated expensive filtration equipment, which is why only certain ships allow swim diapers only in certain areas which have this equipment.

To those of you who insist on taking your non potty trained child in the pool on a cruise, please at least buy the reusable cloth type swim diaper. The disposable ones do not hold in fecal matter and are a danger to everyone else your child swims with.

To those of you who insist on taking your non potty trained child in the pool on a cruise, please at least buy the reusable cloth type swim diaper. The disposable ones do not hold in fecal matter and are a danger to everyone else your child swims with.

I doubt that holds it in either. I am perfectly fine with keeping mine out of the pool for now, I think it would be more of a hassle with him anyway because it's not like he really swims yet. He really just floats along and the pools are too small for me to bring in his big ducky ring anyway. Not to mention, anytime the ship hits a good wave, salt water goes slinging and if he got it in his face, he would go bonkers. Heck, I don't even like getting in the pools on a cruise ship. I really dislike salt water.

Had a recent incident on a ship where the parents let a swim diapered baby in the main pool and the swimmie leaked poo, forcing the pool to be closed for nearly two days for cleaning and disinfecting. Not fun for anyone.

This also happened on the HAL Zaandam in the adult-only pool when an avid Daddy plopped his 6-month old son into this pool with NO diaper, while his wife, four older daughters, and a hundred horrified passengers watched. Guess he was just trying to prove that he could keep his male lineage alive. No offense to anyone, but this family was from Italy, and maybe didn't understand the rules. The adult-only pool was closed for two days, but it was while we were in port in Coz and GC.

Archived