Celebrity, no water or soda?

proudmomma

That's crazy and someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, unless they have changed things since we went in December. You are allowed to bring all the water and soda you want, plus two bottles of wine. It's only the alcohol they say you can't carry onboard, even though many do it.

A bunch of threads recently discussing this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1149678

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=23330282&highlight=barcelona#post23330282

I'll duplicate what I said on those:

I've never seen an official written policy on water or soda. There is one prohibiting, or limiting, alcoholic beverages. I've read many posts on these boards from people that carried non-alcoholic beverages on or checked a case as if it was luggage. I've never heard of anyone who was stopped and told they could not bring their non-alcoholic beverages on. We've occasionally brought on some bottled water ourselves when we've seen it for sale inexpensively at a port store.

...I've read numerous threads about people bringing on a case of non-alcoholic beverages on board and never heard of any issues. I've also not read anything in any of Celebrity's policy prohibiting this.

The only time we've brought a case of bottled water on board any ship was on the Equinox on a cruise last November. At a port stop in Barcelona the port store had small cases and we brought one aboard with no issues.

With all that said you've been put on notice and have a decision to make. The worst thing that could happen is that your case of water wouldn't be allowed. If you can't handle the chance of that happening then forget it and just buy your bottled water on the ship. Personally, I'm guessing the customer service operator didn't know the rules and was guessing - but I can't say that with any degree of certainty.

Hey proudmomma! I think we're on the same cruise! I called last week and was told the same thing, so I asked on here. Everybody who responded said we are allowed to bring on water and soda, as long as it's reasonable. Celebrity doesn't seem to care if you show up with it. We are allowed 2 bottles/wine per cabin. And I think the only way they will stop you is if you try to bring on liquor, but not for just water and/or soda. We plan to bring on some. If it gets taken away, then so be it, but it seems that MANY people take soda/water on often with no questions. I'd say "go for it!" :)

The same subject came up before my last cruise (on RCCL, not Celebrity). When people called to ask they were told "No water or soda". But, there is NOTHING in the cruise contract about it. It says no alcohol, for sure, but nothing in the prohibited list or anywhere else in the contract. I venture to say the same is true for Celebrity. So, I say take your water & soda & if push comes to shove pull out your contract & ask them to point to where it says you can't bring it on.

BTW, I had no problem taking on water on that RCCL cruise.

We just returned from 2 weeks on Constellation. We took three cases of liter bottles. No problem at all. Just stuck a luggage tag on each case, when we arrived at our stateroom our water was inside. We had met our room steward and given him a nice tip to put it in our room when it arrived instead of letting it sit in the hall.

I called X and they said that we are not allowed to bring soda or water on the ship.. has anyone else heard this?

It seems almost any cruise line's back office is out of touch with the realities of their staff. I usually receive conflicting or wrong information so I consult with friends and (recently) with Cruise Critic boards.

I just returned from the Century where we were allowed to bring bottles of water on board; not sure about sodas. We also carried on our wine as advertised.

What was curious were the "water packages," something I've never seen before. The young lady explained the program, but said it did not include sparkling water in the Grand Dining Room. Well, she was wrong. A table mate showed his sticker placed on his Sea Pass and was served each evening.

Cheers!

It seems almost any cruise line's back office is out of touch with the realities of their staff. I usually receive conflicting or wrong information so I consult with friends and (recently) with Cruise Critic boards.

I just returned from the Century where we were allowed to bring bottles of water on board; not sure about sodas. We also carried on our wine as advertised.

What was curious were the "water packages," something I've never seen before. The young lady explained the program, but said it did not include sparkling water in the Grand Dining Room. Well, she was wrong. A table mate showed his sticker placed on his Sea Pass and was served each evening.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info! Certainly helpful! How was the cruise? Anything I should avoid? What level were you on? Did you have an inside state room? Balcony? Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks a bunch!! :)

Thanks for the info! Certainly helpful! How was the cruise? Anything I should avoid? What level were you on? Did you have an inside state room? Balcony? Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks a bunch!! :)

You are welcome. This is a great site where folks love sharing information in a professional manner (most of the time :)

Our cabin was a veranda, Concerige Class, on Deck 9 port side near the aft elevator bank. I liked that location given the fact we had an easy walk up to the buffet. A short walk aft is the outside dining area - a great place for morning coffee. I always found a table regardless of time of day.

The cruise was cold and windy. Key West was about 44 F upon arrival at around 0700. It warmed up to about 61 by noon but the wind was fierce along the waterfront.

Our only other port of call was Cozumel. It, too, was very windy but warmer at 81 F. The beaches were not used as near as I could tell. (Sand was blowing around the pier so badly it got into some passengers' eyes.) Still, it wasn't bad once we got into town. We walked and enjoyed the sunshine, shielded from the breeze as long as we were between buildings. The surf was crashing over the sea wall in places.

Winds leaving Cozumel increased to crazy levels. According to the in-room cruise TV, the peak apparent wind speed I saw was 72 kts about 10 degrees from perpendicular to the port side. The ship was rocking, but at surprisingly low amplitude. I did not hear of anyone getting sick. (I was on the Carnival Pride some time ago where apparent winds of only 52-55 knots emptied the restaurants and theater - and I spend the night bent over the toilet. That is the only time I have ever been sea sick.) So ... I am impressed with the relative stability of the Century.

Hope you enjoy your cruise. I'll be writing a review of this completed journey this weekend.

Cheers!

Archived