Why CD make or break some people cruises???

airlink diva

First off, let me state that I'm not a new cruiser (eight sailings with two more this year). But I'm quite curious about something that I notice in quite a few reviews.

I notice that some people in their reviews complain about the cruise directors on their sailings. I notice that some complain about their voice, not seeing them around,etc. Why is this so important?

If I see the cruise director everyday fine, if I only see them one day or not at all, fine. If they have a rather high pitch voice when talking overhead,it might be slighty bothersome,but fine.

The only thing that I expect out of a cruise director is to ensure that enough activities are in place around the ship and if they pass by in the hallway, a simple nod or smile is all I need from them.

Otherwise, a cruise director have no impact on my cruise enjoyment.

Anyone else thoughts???

Some cruise directors are more fun than others, but it doesn't make or break a cruise.

Doug

I agree...

Some people do view the cruise director as an important part of the entertainment. A bad cruise director kind of sets the tone at the beginning of the cruise...or at least should. In my opinion.

I personally do not care who the CD is but I did think that Big Tex when he was on the Fantasy and Jorge on the Triumph did add to the cruise experience. Both were very entertaining and very active all over the ship keeping things moving along.

I personally do not care who the CD is but I did think that Big Tex when he was on the Fantasy and Jorge on the Triumph did add to the cruise experience. Both were very entertaining and very active all over the ship keeping things moving along.

Any idea if Jorge is still on the Triumph...we sail in 28 days...

The CD is not the most important thing about my cruise. Tory, CD, from our first cruise on the Holiday though will always be a favorite. I love British humor and enjoyed her enthusiasm. We still say Woo Hoo!!! around my house. She will always be part of the first cruise experience for my family. I love cruising but there is usually something special about that first cruise.

First off, let me state that I'm not a new cruiser (eight sailings with two more this year). But I'm quite curious about something that I notice in quite a few reviews.

I notice that some people in their reviews complain about the cruise directors on their sailings. I notice that some complain about their voice, not seeing them around,etc. Why is this so important?

If I see the cruise director everyday fine, if I only see them one day or not at all, fine. If they have a rather high pitch voice when talking overhead,it might be slighty bothersome,but fine.

The only thing that I expect out of a cruise director is to ensure that enough activities are in place around the ship and if they pass by in the hallway, a simple nod or smile is all I need from them.

Otherwise, a cruise director have no impact on my cruise enjoyment.

Anyone else thoughts???

I like going to the shows. If the CD is good, it's VERY entertaining. If he is bad, it's painful.

I've wondered this before.

On our last cruise, we had John Heald. Well, he was a celebrity (oops wrong cruise line) here, as I had read his name SO much. So I think I paid more attention to him.

I have to say, he was a very good CD. But, honestly, I just never think about them. Kind of like the matre'd's. (sp?)

Shay

I like going to the shows. If the CD is good, it's VERY entertaining. If he is bad, it's painful.

I agree- especially that I look forward to the first show-- Welcome Onboard show to get the feel for the week- If a CD is bad that can set the tone for the rest of the shows for the week.

Remember a CD will be the entertainment between shows, games, etc.

Or if a CD is obnoxious those "announcements" will be torture

I don't know. I hardly pay them any attention unless they are really annoying. I noticed malcolm burns because i went to a few shows and he wasn't pretentious and over the top to the point of being corny. If they didn't have a cruise director, it wouldn't bother me a bit. I do notice that carnival doesn't have the fun games going on deck during sea days anymore. So now i'm wondering why have a cruise director at all?? Rccl has more action on their older ships now than carnival and i though i'd never be able to say that.

I don't know. I hardly pay them any attention unless they are really annoying. I noticed malcolm burns because i went to a few shows and he wasn't pretentious and over the top to the point of being corny. If they didn't have a cruise director, it wouldn't bother me a bit. I do notice that carnival doesn't have the fun games going on deck during sea days anymore. So now i'm wondering why have a cruise director at all?? Rccl has more action on their older ships now than carnival and i though i'd never be able to say that.

malcom burn wohoo announcement seems kinda annoying after hearing it for 3+ days

On our Legend cruise, the television in the room would go to mute everytime "Hellooooooooo, this is Jen with some more ideas on how to spend your money....." came over the ship's loudspeaker (which was quite often). Why can't they just leave us alone, especially when we're in our room? The cruise director's sole function that week was to sell crap.

j

Jorge is going on vacation March 20th and then will go to the Glory. Jen Baxter will be the new CD for the Triumph.

Dave

I'm glad I won't be on Triumph. She is the only CD that I remember and not for any good reasons.

I would pay a premium to have the stupid intercom shut off for the week.

There is button on the vanity that turns it off-- except for the muster drill stuff and information on the last day

But you shouldnt be getting stuff like announcements for the bingo or the 10 buck sale in the cabin at all

I guess it depends on how well you get to know the CD. I always have a great interaction with Tory Secoy, Jeremy (Big Tex), Steve Cassell, John Heald and Noonan. Jorge Solano I sailed with in 2006 on the Elation before I really got into cruising and understanding how things work.

I sailed with him again two weeks ago and he really went out of his way to make our cruise special. How can you beat reserved front row seats at the production show and a bottle of champagne poured by the Asst Cruise Director to make our Valentine's day special.

Dave

The CD has never made or broken a cruise for me. However, the bad ones are painfully obvious. I'll give you some idea of what I am looking for in a CD. A good CD is visible, out mingling with the guests, talking, laughing, telling jokes. A good CD has a great sense of humor and can ad lib with the best of 'em. The reason this is important is the incessant announcements they have on board. When someone with a sense of humor announces them, it makes them not so God awful annoying or grating. You never know what they are going to say. A good CD can start a show with THEIR own sense of humor or even singing in their own right. A good CD is at MOST functions on the ship from the pool deck to the lido to the show lounges.

A good CD will make me laugh with those ever present, annoying messages. A bad one will make me say, "OMG, would you just SHUT UP!!??" But no, I've never had a CD so bad or good to make me "never sail a certain line again!!"

Archived