Gibraltar on you own?

• 4 weeks later...

There is not a lot to do...just a quaint town with a big rock and semi tame apes (watch where you step). It is very easy just to wander around. You then take the cable car up to the rock and walk around the tunnels inside. We looked into a ferry to Tangier, but there wasn't enough time to be 100% sure of getting back in time.

How long are you staying?? Must see, the apes ( watch your sunglasses and do not try to feed them) + the mediveal castle + shopping is amazing but in British Pounds.

Watch your sunglasses? I wear prescription glasses - does that mean they'll try to take my glasses right off my face? Now I'm getting worried - I wouldn't be able to see a thing without them (my glasses, not the apes.)

How long are you staying?? Must see, the apes ( watch your sunglasses and do not try to feed them) + the mediveal castle + shopping is amazing but in British Pounds.

Euros no problem in most outlets :)

JB

• 2 weeks later...
Need specific details on where to go and what to do? Suggestions greatly appreciated.

It's a very interesting (but long) walk to the cable car. On the way we met up with a van driver who needed 2 more to fill his van. Cost us a fraction of a Princess tour, to see all the sights. We then took a taxi across the runway to Spain and later walked back. Such good fun. Fabulous shops full of wine and chocolates in the main drag at Gibraltar. GC

the main problem with doing Gibraltar on your own is that the lines for the cable cars up to the top can be so long you may be pushing it to get to and from the ship in time.

Taxis lined up at the port will do the "standard" tour of the rock for a set price-if there are a few ships or one big ship in port be sure you get off early as they may have all gone.We pre booked a taxi with another family which cost us slightly more but we got to see everything we wanted

We were warned not to get too close to the apes because they love glasses - shiny stuff I imagine. Stay back a couple of feet or so and you can still get great pictures.

You know that.:)

I know that.:)

Everyone who reads this thread now knows that.:)

But try telling the apes :D

regards, JB

Gibralter is absolutely no problem to do on your own. We live about an hour away and have visited with family quite a few times! We normally grab a tour bus (15-20 Euros- kids on laps were free last time) to take us up to the top of the rock. There are a few different stops the minivan tours can do, not all go to the very top of the rock but every one will take you to see the apes. We've never taken the cable car, mainly because it was not running the first time we went and we are now comfortable with the vans! The drivers are always interesting characters and I love getting the chance to talk to the locals. St. Michaels Caverns are really beautiful and a great place to cool down on a hot day, exiting there is a little cafe with some tourist trinkets. Siege tunnels are another great thing to visit, a little bit of a steep walk downhill but really interesting. The apes are not as bad as some make them out, never had an issue with them grabbing glasses or jewelry but DO NOT take any type of plastic bag out or it will get snatched! After the tour, you can walk through the shopping district (lots of touristy stuff) but you can buy postcards and stamps and mail them through the Royal Post, then grab some great fish and chips...

We did a tour, but not a ships tour (we were on a land vacation). As soon as we crossed the runway into Gibralter, just outside customs, there are lines of taxis and vans. We went in one of the vans. It was extremely reasonable. Knowing what the ship tours, I would say that it would be half or less than half. We only stayed for the morning, then went drove to the white hill towns.

• 2 weeks later...
the main problem with doing Gibraltar on your own is that the lines for the cable cars up to the top can be so long you may be pushing it to get to and from the ship in time.

Taxis lined up at the port will do the "standard" tour of the rock for a set price-if there are a few ships or one big ship in port be sure you get off early as they may have all gone.We pre booked a taxi with another family which cost us slightly more but we got to see everything we wanted

Completely agree on the Taxi vs. Cable Car (Calypso Tour) discussion.

Cable car will require a long wait and is very expensive, plus will require a walk down.

Taxi's - E25 for each adult in an 8-passenger van was less than half the price. Included were most of the admissions to the sites on the rock (WWII tunnels would be separate) AND a drive back to the location of your choice. Albert Munoz was our guy and he was great . . . but I think most of the taxi's that will take you on the tour know the deal.

Negotiate before-hand if you want to go to specific sites. We missed Europa's Point and wished we hadn't. Still, we saved a ton of money and our tour was much more detailed and convenient than the Calypso excursion that the ship would have booked us on.

We went shortly after I had knee replacement so we were not doing anything too strenuous. We were NOT one of the first off, so the price was down a bit :) and it took a few moments to get a full van/taxi. Thank goodness there are others with canes, etc that were also a bit slow. We had a great time - and when someone had their bag of "lunch" stolen it was funny, but he should have known better.

We chose to be let off at the top of the main drag and walked down, looking into shops, churches and the different statues, etc. Very windy and cold so it was a relief to get back to ship... and a nice way to spend the day.

Archived