Animal protection group urging Carnival Cruise Lines to stop serving foie gras

wikipedia says they also can do it with regular feedings, doesnt have to be forced feedings to be foie gras.

So, are we determined that Carnival only uses force feedings on the foie gras it uses, or do they use the cheaper produce.

Even without force-feeding, the liver still needs to be 8-10 times it's natural size to be worth harvesting.

I made the personal choice not to eat it regardless. Others don't share my conviction. That's okay with me.

..Cuz the cruise was forgettable?? ;) Carnival Cheerleading Hi-Five! :D :rolleyes:

:D

Actually, the cruise was bloody miserable. Rained almost the entire week, we were docked in Bermuda so I couldn't gamble. Hell, I even got bored of drinking ... and the ship was a nightmare. I had my choice of working hot water or working air conditioning.

Sea Kittens?!?! (PETA's new name for fish)

I like FISH and will continue to eat FISH even is they do call it a sea kitten...As a matter of fact if we found that kittens/cats tasted as good as fish I might eat them too!

And... whoever told you they don't wasn't telling the truth.

Even without force-feeding, the liver still needs to be 8-10 times it's natural size to be worth harvesting.

I am fairly certain then that they could have harvested mine at the end of the cruise :o

I've seen it on NCL, in their extra-pay eatery who's name I can't recall.

Ate in the DR 6 nights and the supper club 2x, didn't see it but I could have missed it

But the unknown ingredients are what make it so exciting! It's one of the "Russian Roulettes" of eating...foie gras and hot dogs... :D

And disturbing as the video may be, its not like Sinclair's "The Jungle" made me stop eating mixed meet in intestinal casings....That said, I'd still take a nice steak over liver, if for nothing else, because the French like it and that pretty much ruins it for me right there as an American ;) and I no longer feel obligated to like them for giving us democracy and such... :p

Touche on the hot dogs. I love hot dogs, and I do not care to know what is in them!

The Jungle! We had a substitute teacher in 8th grade who would show that movie instead of following the lesson plan. I'm dating myself, but that was around 1981! A bunch of parents called the school to complain that their kids would no longer eat hot dogs and peanut butter, so they stopped hiring the guy! For real, you can't make this stuff up! I will admit that I have the same aversion to natural casisngs as you, partially due to that movie.

I could go on and on about my French family (mom's side) and their eating habits. I was born and raised in the US, so I don't share their hard-core culinary tastes! Steak to them is cooked for like one minute on each side! Even my rare-bloody-steak-ordering husband couldn't eat it!

And hey, dont hate on my Frenchies! ;):p

They mean well :rolleyes:.

Boo

And hey, dont hate on my Frenchies! ;):p

They mean well :rolleyes:.

Boo

I love the French.:) I love their food, even the rare steaks and foie gras. I've never eaten foie gras anywhere else but France, and I have to say, it's really really good imo. But I didn't know about the feeding methods when I ate it. That kind of ruins it for me.

Oh my goodness!! Will these people ever stop...they're as bad as those darn "Whale Wars" people! Next they're going to be protesting because other people eat cow, fish, pig, ect... I am so tired of hearing about this stuff...you don't want to eat it fine, but leave me and my food alone!

Amen! I'm with you!

Every year or so these animal groups come up with some other thing they want to protest. Anyone remember when it was veal? I remember that one, as my animal loving friends bombarded me with emailed petitions for weeks, talking about how those poor calves are force fed and mistreated, yada yada. Now they've moved on to geese and fish, give me strength.

If someone cares so deeply about animals that they can't conceive of eating them, I can respect that. However, don't try to infringe on my right to make my own choice. If you get to choose not to eat animals, then I get to choose to eat them if I so desire. Respect is supposed to work both ways.

- Sharon -

I haven't seen foie gras on a Carnival ship in oh, years. Seems the last time I even remember having foie gras on a ship was over 15 years ago and it was on RCL.

If Carnival still offers foie gras would someone steer me in the right direction? I am all over it!!

Elliot Katz, Biography

In addition to his work with FARM, veterinarian Elliot Katz is the founding president of the animal-rights group “In Defense of Animals.”

Katz has been on the forefront of the move to replace the terms “pet” and “owner” with “animal companion” and “animal guardian.” He calls this language change part of a social “revolution,” and compares his cause to the women’s suffrage movement and 19th century emancipation.

Still, Katz recognizes that food animals are still classified as “mere property”; he and his organization aim to take meat off of our dinner plates by endowing animals with “human” rights. As he told one reporter, “Once a significant segment of society rejects the belief that animals are property to be owned, bought or sold, the status of animals will be elevated.”

...My dog should vote? :confused:

I say free them. That way I can treat them not as property but like deer, elk, moose, ducks, geese, trout, cod, bass, quail and the list goes on and on. I can get the gun out and shoot them and put them fresh on my table.......Yummie......:D

What about the hideous process they employ to shrink those healthy, normal size umbrellas in order to fit them into our special drinks?

Appalling!

There was a letter to the editor of the Tampa Tribune by a guy from California asking that another aphid not be killed! :eek:

Appalling!

There was a letter to the editor of the Tampa Tribune by a guy from California asking that another aphid not be killed! :eek:

He's going to have to elliminate lady bugs then. Ants actually farm, raise and protect aphids for their secretions to make honey and the lady bugs eat them. Bad bad lady bugs and the other bugs that eat them, how inhumane! :eek:

He's going to have to elliminate lady bugs then. Ants actually farm, raise and protect aphids for their secretions to make honey and the lady bugs eat them. Bad bad lady bugs and the other bugs that eat them, how inhumane! :eek:

I have seen close-up film of a ladybug eating an aphid. Vicious.

How do the bunny-huggers get a mortgage or house insurance without a termite policy? THAT'S the question of the ages.

Archived