Animal protection group urging Carnival Cruise Lines to stop serving foie gras

Elliot Katz, Biography

In addition to his work with FARM, veterinarian Elliot Katz is the founding president of the animal-rights group “In Defense of Animals.”

Katz has been on the forefront of the move to replace the terms “pet” and “owner” with “animal companion” and “animal guardian.” He calls this language change part of a social “revolution,” and compares his cause to the women’s suffrage movement and 19th century emancipation.

Still, Katz recognizes that food animals are still classified as “mere property”; he and his organization aim to take meat off of our dinner plates by endowing animals with “human” rights. As he told one reporter, “Once a significant segment of society rejects the belief that animals are property to be owned, bought or sold, the status of animals will be elevated.”

...My dog should vote? :confused:

If he ever ends up in a group of people stranded in the mountains because of a plane crash, he should let himself be served up as jerky to the rest so no animals are harmed in the saving of human life. :)

Now we have Cahill's contact info :cool:

Even when Carnival served Beef Wellington, they were using mushroom mousse.

I'm not aware of them using foie gras these days. :confused:

But if they are going to get blamed anyway, they might as well start. ;)

Ive seen Foie Gras on the menu.

Please don't let this thread slide into Politics. Just makes people upset and gets on the nerves of the mods.

This thread is about that wonderful delite, Foie Gras, lets keep it to that subject.

Who's sliding into politics?

The thread is not about a "wonderful delite," it's about a group calling for Carnival to stop serving a certain food item because of claims of cruelty to animals. I'm not getting your objection.

Look, it took us millions of years to reach the top of the food chain. There has to be some perks for us working so hard over all those years!

We deserve to eat what ever we want...ummmmm...dead animals taste great!

Who's sliding into politics?

The thread is not about a "wonderful delite," it's about a group calling for Carnival to stop serving a certain food item because of claims of cruelty to animals. I'm not getting your objection.

Just to let you know the group is political.

Just to let you know the group is political.

And....so....

The group and its concerns about cruelty to animals to obtain food items and what should be done in response to that is the subject of the thread, not that "wonderful delite" foie gras. Therefore the thread is somewhat political in nature to begin with.

I am a meat eater, don't think I could live without it actually. But, the idea of the stuffing the tube down their throat and force feeding them seems so cruel. I don't ever plan to eat liver, so fine with me if they quit serving it.

I don't eat organ meat but that is just by choice. I do however eat meat and goose is yummy!! These people are crazy and they seem to think that if they do not agree with something that every one should be banned from enjoying it! I don't know how my steak came to be on my plate and I really do not care to know. People are at the top of the food chain! If they were not I'm sure some goose would not be spareing me because the dog said not to eat me!

Oh my goodness!! Will these people ever stop...they're as bad as those darn "Whale Wars" people! Next they're going to be protesting because other people eat cow, fish, pig, ect... I am so tired of hearing about this stuff...you don't want to eat it fine, but leave me and my food alone!

actually some of the whales being killed are in a protected marine eco, while these geese are not. so, not the same. i'm just sayin'.;)

I am a meat eater, don't think I could live without it actually. But, the idea of the stuffing the tube down their throat and force feeding them seems so cruel. I don't ever plan to eat liver, so fine with me if they quit serving it.

I do agree. (I would not eat anything I can't pronounce anyway).

In all seriousness, I don't understand the fascination with fois gras. I don't like organ meats either. The only time I tried fois gras was in France and my relatives had acquired this delicacy for the special occasion of us being there! I did try it, out of politeness, and did not like it. We got the kids to try it without explaining to them what it was, and that did not go over very well at all :eek:. The one family actually served roast duck (or goose--can't remember) one night and that was awesome!

If you think about what the liver does when it's working...yuck!

Boo

Don't name your food or eat your pets.

Love chopped chicken liver and broiled calves liver. Never seen foie gras on Carnival, bummer. But it's OK to eat snails?

Can't have calves liver anymore because can't find the veal. Where are the Dairymen culling their male calves these days?

For those of you who would care to watch a windows media video about Foie Gras. I also don't eat organ meat but I do eat meat.

http://www.nofoiegras.org/media/media_img/discover-foie-gras.wmv

Well, that was just about as upsetting as it gets. That's horrible. I hope these people are successful in getting Carnival to stop serving it.

I dunno ... Anthony Bourdain did a piece a while back which actually showed how a bird is fed to produce foi gras ... kinda creepy and wrong in my opinion. Enough to keep me off of foi. You all enjoy though.

wikipedia says they also can do it with regular feedings, doesnt have to be forced feedings to be foie gras.

So, are we determined that Carnival only uses force feedings on the foie gras it uses, or do they use the cheaper produce.

Sea Kittens?!?! (PETA's new name for fish)

I like FISH and will continue to eat FISH even is they do call it a sea kitten...As a matter of fact if we found that kittens/cats tasted as good as fish I might eat them too!

If you think about what the liver does when it's working...yuck! Boo

But the unknown ingredients are what make it so exciting! It's one of the "Russian Roulettes" of eating...foie gras and hot dogs... :D

And disturbing as the video may be, its not like Sinclair's "The Jungle" made me stop eating mixed meet in intestinal casings....That said, I'd still take a nice steak over liver, if for nothing else, because the French like it and that pretty much ruins it for me right there as an American ;) and I no longer feel obligated to like them for giving us democracy and such... :p

Archived