Just off a B2B on Century. Any questions

kampinguru

We just got off a B2B on Century. 5 night followed by 4 night. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to answer them for you.

We will be going on this ship in Sept. How is the food? Do they have trivia very often and what about guest speakers?

Thank you for the help!

Carol

We just got off a B2B on Century. 5 night followed by 4 night. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to answer them for you.

Does the ship still have unpleasant smells in the passenger corridors? I had CC cabin 1000 this past January and the odors from the hallways were always very strong.

what movies were playing onboard? do they have a comedian and how funny was he?

what room were you in? how much time did it take to get off the ship and tender into Grand Cayman? did you do any excursions? is there bingo? how much did it cost?

There are hooks on the door in the bathroom that you can hang clothes to dry..do not recall seeing a clothes line.

The food was awful..The worst I have ever eaten on a ship. Even Murano was terrible. Look to eat in the ports as much as you can.

I did not notice any bad smells, what was maddening was the constant shaking of the ship each time in came in or left a port. I was told that was because it is an old ship.

I have enjoyed Celebrity in the past, but sorry to say, I will look to avoid this ship in the future.

Does the ship still have unpleasant smells in the passenger corridors? I had CC cabin 1000 this past January and the odors from the hallways were always very strong.

I am considering booking a CC cabin on the penthouse deck forward. Can you elaborate about your experience on the bad smell.

Maybe OP can answer whether they have experienced any bad smell as well.

Thanks in advance.

There are hooks on the door in the bathroom that you can hang clothes to dry..do not recall seeing a clothes line.

The food was awful..The worst I have ever eaten on a ship. Even Murano was terrible. Look to eat in the ports as much as you can.

I did not notice any bad smells, what was maddening was the constant shaking of the ship each time in came in or left a port. I was told that was because it is an old ship.

I have enjoyed Celebrity in the past, but sorry to say, I will look to avoid this ship in the future.

That's discouraging, we have 3 cabins booked for April 8th, and this is the first review I've read stating that the food was "awful".

When did you cruise? I assume you had an aft cabin? What deck were you on?

I am considering booking a CC cabin on the penthouse deck forward. Can you elaborate about your experience on the bad smell.

Maybe OP can answer whether they have experienced any bad smell as well.

Thanks in advance.

I am booked in a CC cabin on the PH deck (RM#1012) for an upcoming Med cruise in June, but was thinking about trying to switch it to a mid ship room. (I have been told forward cabins are not desirable because of motion and distance to the elevators etc)>>>What is it you like about this area and why?

We were just on the Century - 4 day, this past week. (25th sailing)

The food was really awful is all I can say. The steaks were tough as can be. Even getting plain penne pasta with marinara sauce tasted like chef Boyardee.

After traveling on the Solstice and eating in Blu, I became hooked on cruising. I even ate in the main dining room on Solstice and while not great, wasn't terrible, so that is why I was so surprised about the Century..For us, the whole experience was like a bad Holiday Inn. I know the ship is an older one, but still, never expected this low quality in all areas.

Still and all we had a good time..We loved Key West and Cozumel and watched good movies in the room and laid by the pool, but we will never go on the Century again and will be very very careful when booking cruises in the future.

I will try to answer all the questions in one post so here goes. I thought the food was wonderful. I think that what many people fail to realize is that they are preparing meals for 1000 people to be ready at the same time and still try to give you the impression that you are in a fine restaurant and your food is made to order. There were trivia sessions and "Brain Teaser" sessions each day and they had a couple of different guest speakers. One did a seminar on standup and improv comedy as well as podcasting. There is a clothes line in each shower stall that stretches across the shower for hanging wet clothes to drip dry. There are also hooks on the back of the bathroom door for hanging clothes. Smoothies are available in the Aqua Spa Cafe and IIRC, they varied in price from 4 to 5.50 based on what you ordered. Some of the movies that I saw playing were Star Trek and X-men Origins Wolverine. They had a comedian on board named James Stephens III and he was not too bad. I have seen better, but I have seen much worse as well. We had Stateroom 9161, which is an inside sideways stateroom and I would not choose this room again. It was close to the stateroom attendants room so we were always hearing banging from there. Unfortunately, we were not able to stop at Grand Cayman again due to rough seas so we made a stop at Key West on the way back to Miami. From my last trip to GC, It was about a 10-15 minute tender ride to shore from the ship and if you are not trying to be first off, you wont have to wait for very long. There are lots of tender boats so the wait is minimal. We had moderately rough seas (3 meters - 10-12 feet) leaving Cozumel and the ship was rocking quite a bit. A mid ship room on a lower deck would aleviate a lot of the motion if it bothers you. It is usually only bad until you hit Cuba then the waves die down. It started at 8:00pm when we left port but settled down by 11:00am the next morning. I am not the best person to ask about this though as it does not bother me. Hopefully I answered the questions you all had. We booked another B2B cruise for next February while on board so we will be back on the Century next year again.

We will be doing the same thing. We are sailing on the April 3 and April 8 sailings.

How did they handle the turnover day?

Did you take any pictures?

Sorry Martodd. I missed your questions. Yes we took pictures. What did you want to see. The changeover day on this cruise was slightly different than our last B2B. Because we missed Grand Cayman on the first cruise, and stopped in Key West instead, we had to clear US customs in Key West. This was done in the Crystal room on desk 7 and we had to show our passports and talk to an agent. We did not get off the ship because we were going to be there in two more days anyway and the weather was not very nice. Because we cleared customs in Key West, we did not have to clear again in Miami so we stayed on the ship and just got new sea passes from Guest relations, then went to the deck to have new pictures taken. On our previous B2B the year before, all the B2B people met in the Rendevous Lounge at 10:30am and we all left the ship together and went through customs in the terminal and were given new sea passes at that time. Once the past PAX had left the ship, we were allowed back on and had new pictures taken and off we went.

Unfortunately food is very subjective ...what someone hates, others may have a totally very different view on and love it

Unfortunately food is very subjective ...what someone hates, others may have a totally very different view on and love it

I honestly have never had a cruise we're I've found the food to be bad, and we're "foodies". I don't go in expecting the best meal of my life either.

I have to say that the worst food on a cruise (and it wasn't really bad), was the most expensive...on the Disney Magic.

The ship was absolutely breathtaking, but the food? Meh.

We were 4 people who lived in Manhattan and East Hampton - now living in Florida. We all know restaurants and this was our 22nd cruise. We all thought the food was excellent in both the dining room and Murano. We thought it was better than Equinox in December. So food is a matter of opinion. Go, enjoy and eat anything lamb! Escargot, creme brulee, everything was good. It's a short trip - have fun.

We did not notice any bad smells in any of the corridors we were in. I was up on deck 12, 10, 9, 7, 6, 5, 4 and did not notice anything. We did not go on deck 8 as it was rooms only and we were not on that floor.

I have a full review posted on cruise critic, but as others have said food is subjective. We thought the first night's dinner in MDR was flawless (really - best meal we've ever had on a cruise), and overall thought the food on the ship excellent. My wife actually enjoyed it more than me (I'm more of a plain eater, and many of the options are a little more adventurous than my preference), but I always found something I enjoyed.

The service was also superb. When you on on-board look for the bar server Aleksandar - he usually works the pool bar by day and the Crystal room at night. So friendly and attentive to detail.

Our room did have a retractable clothsline in the shower. We had a balcony room, not sure if the inside rooms had one as well. The food was good, the buffet above average. I liked the food in the main dining room and my DH hated it. My DH typically isn't too picky and we ordered different things. Maybe the food was hit or miss?

No bad smells noted in the halls on our cruise.

Hello,

I have a few questions. We were on Century in 2008 for a 5 night cruise and will be on her next month for the 4 night, including Cozumel.

We just got off of Azamara and it was amazing, so trying to lower our expectations as Century was our least favorite cruise with worst food (but you can always find something to eat on a cruise shop).

So, my questions,

First, what stateroom category were you in? Do they give slippers in all staterooms and free shoeshine? What about the amenities. Does Century still use Elemis or do you have to be in CC class? Exactly what is included besides Shampoo and Conditioner? Facial soap? Shower Gel, etc?

Second, who could go to Elegant Tea? My biggest beef with Celebrity is, unlike every other cruise ship we have been on, they only invited "Elites" (usually on 11th cruise unless traveling in Suites). There were only 18 or less at Elegant Tea in the Dining room on our cruise in 2008. All others had the option of tea in the Buffet line. Someone reported on this board recently that everyone was invited and another person reported only Elite and a third Select and Elite were invited to formal tea. Who was invited on your cruise, and who was the Captains Club Rep onboard?

Third, we enjoyed Trivia on Azamara. How often was Trivia played, etc?

Fourth, did they play Bingo for a Free cruise as they do on HAL?

Fifth, how was the food in the MDR? We are wondering if it has improved? What about the pool Grill?

Sixth, on-board entertainment? Last trip the ship had comedians half the time. What time was the show?

Seventh, what are the hours in the gym open?

Eight, if you were in Cozumel, are the shops in walking distance to the ship?

Nine, Smoothies? We could get them in CC class but not sure if they are available otherwise.

Thanks!

We were 4 people who lived in Manhattan and East Hampton - now living in Florida. We all know restaurants and this was our 22nd cruise. We all thought the food was excellent in both the dining room and Murano. We thought it was better than Equinox in December. So food is a matter of opinion. Go, enjoy and eat anything lamb! Escargot, creme brulee, everything was good. It's a short trip - have fun.

How often was the Escargot offered on the 4 night? Just once?

I have a full review posted on cruise critic, but as others have said food is subjective. We thought the first night's dinner in MDR was flawless (really - best meal we've ever had on a cruise), and overall thought the food on the ship excellent. My wife actually enjoyed it more than me (I'm more of a plain eater, and many of the options are a little more adventurous than my preference), but I always found something I enjoyed.

What did you order in the MDR that was flawless? Thanks!

Hello,

I have a few questions. We were on Century in 2008 for a 5 night cruise and will be on her next month for the 4 night, including Cozumel.

We just got off of Azamara and it was amazing, so trying to lower our expectations as Century was our least favorite cruise with worst food (but you can always find something to eat on a cruise shop).

Jade, I have to ask, if the above is true, why did you book the cruise? :confused:

Archived