Can we bring our own life jackets?

tami99

I'm talking about for swimming. My kids like their own life jackets and sometimes use them to swim in the pool. They might also like to use them if we go on any excursions that involve water. I would think as long as they are packed away, it shouldn't be a problem. Is it?

There shouldn’t be a problem. It is no different than bring other sports gear as long as you have room to pack it.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07, Westerdam ‘09

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

Pending Cruises:

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

I think you actually have to bring your own for swimming and excursions because the ship-provided ones are not allowed to be worn in the pool or taken off the ship. So absolutely bring your own for non-emergency/muster times.

beachchick

I think you actually have to bring your own for swimming and excursions because the ship-provided ones are not allowed to be worn in the pool or taken off the ship. So absolutely bring your own for non-emergency/non-muster times.

beachchick

We have inflatable snorkeling vests, PFDs, that would be perfect for kids of all ages. We always wear them when we snorkel. They have a nozzle to blow into the vest if you want to float. I never fill it - can't dive down if I do. My husband always has some air in it. They could not be flatter when air is out and take up less room in a suitcase than a t-shirt!

Every water-based excursion we have ever been on, and there have been many, ("Swim With the Dolphins", water/river cruise-type shore trips; float/raft trips, jet-ski activities, etc) provides flotation devices for everyone. I guess you may bring/use your own if you wish, but I would check out a couple of things first.

#1: Are they are approved for the type activity involved?

#2: Will the shore excursion company allow it?

We saw a family with a small girl (maybe 5 or 6??) wanting to use their own swim vest for her on a river cruise in Central America where there were about 10 people per boat. The boat was being "poled" along for sight-seeing, (monkeys, birds, etc). The tour guide explained that they could not use it due to the insurance liabilities of the tour company. They had to use the one provided by the tour and approved for use by their insurance laws governing their operation.

Just a heads up and something you may want to check before lugging the life vests to a shore excursion. It will be no problem what-so-ever on board ship. The Shore Excursion Desk may be able to help you in providing information as to whether or not using your own PFD on a water excursion on shore is feasible.

Have a great trip. Being the grandmother of four myself, I can appreciate your concern for their safety!

My DS has taken his own life vest on our past 4 cruises and to the muster drill. No one ever said a word. We took it on all our H20 excursions.

No problem.

They let him wear his own life vest during muster drill? What line were you cruising? I've never heard of or seen this happening. Sounds like a liability issue for the cruise line. TIA!

My DS has taken his own life vest on our past 4 cruises and to the muster drill. No one ever said a word. We took it on all our H20 excursions.

No problem.

Really??? To the muster drill? :eek: My cousin is a river pilot on the Mississippi River and pilots cruise ships from the mouth of the Missisippi to New Orleans and says he cannot imagine a cruise ship knowingly permitting such a thing! The cruise line could be in for some major fines and sanctions if they knowingly allow this.

Archived