First Time Cruiser-RCI/Monarch of the Seas

Bashley

Hi, everyone! I am all set to embark on my first cruise on March 15th. We'll be on the RCI Monarch of the Seas going through the Bahamas. For those of you what have travelled on RCI and Monarch of the Seas, what can we expect? Any tips on the excursions. There's so much to read here, was hoping to get a few responses from individuals that have recently been on the ship.

Thanks,

B Ashley

Thanks, CB. I've been doing online research and my eyes are starting to cross. I've always been afraid to take a cruise, but I'm slowly warming up to the idea. I can't wait to get my toes in some sand. :)

When I was on the Monarch, in December 2007, they lost half of deck six. The forward part of deck six was fine. Everything aft of the forward elevators was missing. Let me know if they found it.

We live in the Orlando area and take the Monarch a couple times a year for weekend trips. The excursions really depend on what you like; for Coco Cay if you just want a spectacular and lazy day at the beach, you don't need to do any excursions - just find a nice beach chair or hammock (both complimentary) and relax! I take my puzzle book and chill out on a lounge chair. The beach barbeque is included and there are several beach bars to enjoy. If you want more adventure then you can sign up for an excursion to do a a jet ski, Kayak, parasail, etc.

Nassau is an easy and walkable city to navigate, and shopping is close to the port, including the straw market, with Senior Frog bar right next to it. You can take a water ferry over to Paradise Island for about $6 bucks, or walk to the nearby public beach. It really depends on what you want regarding excursions; city tour, Atlantis, beaches, etc.

Enjoy the Monarch! The sailaway from Port Canaveral is very nice and scenic. Enjoy a drink and Bon Voyage!

I would try to do something in Nassau, either going to Atlantis on your own or taking a structured tour ... not my favorite port just to walk around in.

If you are in a standard cabin (inside or OV) be prepared for a very "intimate" cabin ... they are quite small on Monarch (doesn't matter too much, but is a little bit of a shock).

My wife and I are also considering the 4 day Bahamas cruise on the Monarch, but we are looking closer to the first part of October, which will be our 11 year wedding anniversary.

Please don't feel you have to be on the go every minute in every port. My suggestion is to book any excursions you might want to do with the ship, this time. Once you are a bit more comfortable with the excursion thing feel free to book them on your own (if you wish). Do you see a recurring theme here? DW and I have been on 5 cruises and have not done a excursion on the last 4 of them. To US the ship is a destination. This doesn't mean we don't go off the ship, we do but we are very happy exploring on own own. That being said, that isn't for everyone. Enjoy the total experience, on and off the ship. Remember, you are on vacation, RELAX and ENJOY, be it on an excursion or own your own. Let's face it you can't swim with stingrays in Cleveland. (my brother's home)

We were on Majesty of the Seas... sister ship to Monarch.

Two of your ports are the same as our cruise...

(Our cruise did Key West, you will have day at sea.)

Cococay will be the key port for you...

Because they tender you to the island...

Rough seas or wind can keep you onboard...

bummer because Cococay is very relaxing and enjoyable.

Nassau, itself is not the most impressive of ports...

Make up for it by doing a walking tour of Atlantis Resort!

do the paid tour if you like... but we were happy with the free areas.

A good tip would be to have a taxi driver do a personal tour for you.

Friends did just that... and loved it.

Just be sure to include Atlantis or you will be disappointed!

Hi Bashley,

I'll be on the Monarch March 12th, I feel like a 1st time cruiser, since I was 21 when I took my 1st cruise. This is my husbands 1st cruise. I have not booked any excursions. We have very busy schedules, so just last night I printed out the brochures that give the info/prices & will book when we get on the ship. We can read over them on the plane ride to MCO. I will probably snorkel (husband is working on his snorkeling skills) & do Atlantis. It's such a short trip, I think I can find enough to do on the ship & in the ports. I am a Spa junkie (do they have forums for us??:confused::confused:: ha..ha..:D:D so I am interested in getting a massage (not quite a spa resort, but much needed););)

Archived