Why are Aussies being overcharged for cruises?

Plato2322

Could it be because the refrigerator was manufactured offshore (North America or Europe)? Lots of tourists enjoy shopping in the US, not only because of the prices, but because of the great variety of merchandise.

I'm not sure one can make a valid comparison between consumer goods and travel services, though.

Texas tillie is correct - everything that can be purchased in the US from food to white good, clothes, are cheaper in the States and most of these are made in Asia probably China as our largest manufacturer. Asia is part of our region, but we do not have the population to "bargain" like the States. That is the sole reason why things are expensive here.

For example: My friend in US said to me when we were in Portland late last year that bananas were expensive - It was 3 lb for $1.00. I came home and was paying $3.99 for 1 kg (2.2 lb). This was when our dollar was 82cents for $US1.00. Our bananas come from Queensland - US from Hawaii (the furthest). You have the population to absorb and bargain.

We also need to look at our salaries and working conditions too when taking costing into account. I cannot go there as I know nothing about this side of it as I have been out of the workforce for some time, and ex social workers know little about well paying jobs!!!:rolleyes:

Found this on my desktop. I've obviously downloaded it from another forum/thread but can't remember where. The cruise lines must be laughing all the way to the bank - we are paying more and increasing numbers of Aussies travelling. We ARE desirable! And this is March 2009 when the stock market was at its lowest.

MEDIA RELEASE

March 11, 2009

Australian Cruise Industry Reports Record Year

The number of Australians taking a cruise holiday surged by 26 per cent last year to reach a record

330,949 passengers, according to new statistics released today.

The International Cruise Council Australasia figures reveal that despite the economic downturn the local

cruise industry last year experienced its strongest growth in five years, with Australia, New Zealand and

South Pacific cruises attracting the largest numbers of passengers.

News of the growth comes in the midst of Australia’s biggest ever cruise season, with a record number of

ships operating in Australian waters from October 2008 to April 2009.

The 26 per cent increase in 2008 passenger numbers is more than five times the 5 per cent growth

recorded by the US market in 2008 and double the estimated 12 per cent growth for the UK cruise

market.

Announcing the figures, Cruise Council Chairman Karen Christensen said the record year was a result of

increased capacity in the market, greater itinerary options and growing awareness of cruising as a great

value holiday.

“In these tougher times cruise holidays have more appeal than ever because they include transport,

accommodation, meals and entertainment in one fare,” Ms Christensen said.

Ms Christensen said the latest figures revealed that river cruising continued to capture the imaginations

of Australians, with European river cruising numbers more than doubling from 11,761 in 2007 to 27,645

in 2008.

The statistics also show:

• Total passenger numbers rose from 263,435 in 2007 to 330,949 in 2008 (up 26 per cent)

• The most popular cruise destination in 2008 was Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific,

representing 59 per cent of the market (195,611) and posting growth of 22 per cent on 2007

• Europe (river cruising and ocean cruising) ranked as the second most popular destination,

representing 16 per cent of the market (52,291) – an increase of 61 per cent on 2007 figures

• Asia was the third most popular cruising destination for Australians, attracting 10 per cent

(34,430) with numbers rising by 45 per cent on 2007 figures

• Estimated annual sea days rose by 45 per cent to more than 3.5 million in 2008, revealing more

Australians are cruising for a longer time

• Australian cruise passenger numbers have grown a massive 185 per cent from 116,308 in 2002,

the first year they were recorded.

Founded in 1996, the Cruise Council represents 25 cruise lines offering cruises to the Australian market.

The 2008 Australian Cruise Industry Statistics were compiled by InTouch Data Pty Ltd.

Media information:

Libby Moffet/Larissa Kaye MG Media Communications +61 2 9904 0011

Geeeeezzzzz.

Not only do I get insulted with the inferance that being an aussie means I don't tip, but now I'm being insulted with the inferance that I'm stupid.

Let me get this straight. I purchase a tv / refridgerator / (you fill in the blank - what ever you like that I am going to purchase) and I pay more here in AUS for the product. Soooooooooo...... I can choose to purchase that product CHEAPER in USA. (everyone following so far?)

I rock up with my CC / cash, collections of antique buttons (whatever currency I'm using) and O M G !!! They recognise my accent and say - "you're an australian, I'm gunna charge you more, just because you're an australian."

Come on, does that really happen when you go to buy something????

"Yearhhhhh.......... " *pause* *sarcasm* "NO!" That's not how it goes down. Old mate selling me the refridgerator / tv, (whatever) says "will you be paying for that with cash/ credit/very special toe nail collection-method of payment?"

See? That's the difference with this stupid scenario. I'm not AUTOMATICALLY charged higher, because of my nationality.

The two situations are NOT comparable and I'm insulted people can try and palm them off like they are.

Murrumba, have you dealt direct with HAL since they have 'banned' US TAs from dealing with Aussie customers? I booked direct with HAL several years ago and have an upcoming cruise booked with their Australian 'agent' in June but am now looking at another cruise early next year and would prefer to book direct as I'm feeling ripped off doing it locally.

As an aside, to fit in with my upcoming Alaskan cruise, I booked a 9 night Insight Vacations tour through the Southwest USA and saved $1000 :) by doing it direct online with Insight USA instead of Insight Australia. Tour companies here haven't allowed for the strengthening Aussie dollar and won't amend their fares to reflect this.

Sorry I did not see this earlier. Yes, I have booked directly with HAL - see

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/Main.action.

HAL agent is an agent for a lot of cruise companies - it is not HAL as such if you know what I mean.

Better to book directly with HAL and they always honour price drops asap. Wonderful service.

Yes, I agree with you about not changing with the changing dollar so you need to have a currency converter on your computer to check.

I found out late last year that I could book with Archers Direct (a UK company) - they are so much cheaper than booking with Cosmos Aust.

Last year I booked with Cosmos Australia for a 14 day tour as if I had booked through the American Cosmos it would have cost us about 400 bucks more, because they had not changed with the fluctuating dollar.

Good luck and I encourage you to book directly with the shipping line - why pay more and have a third person to work through when it is so easy with the internet and telephone nowdays.

Let me know how you get on.:o

Geeeeezzzzz.

Not only do I get insulted with the inferance that being an aussie means I don't tip, but now I'm being insulted with the inferance that I'm stupid.

Let me get this straight. I purchase a tv / refridgerator / (you fill in the blank - what ever you like that I am going to purchase) and I pay more here in AUS for the product. Soooooooooo...... I can choose to purchase that product CHEAPER in USA. (everyone following so far?)

I rock up with my CC / cash, collections of antique buttons (whatever currency I'm using) and O M G !!! They recognise my accent and say - "you're an australian, I'm gunna charge you more, just because you're an australian."

Come on, does that really happen when you go to buy something????

"Yearhhhhh.......... " *pause* *sarcasm* "NO!" That's not how it goes down. Old mate selling me the refridgerator / tv, (whatever) says "will you be paying for that with cash/ credit/very special toe nail collection-method of payment?"

See? That's the difference with this stupid scenario. I'm not AUTOMATICALLY charged higher, because of my nationality.

The two situations are NOT comparable and I'm insulted people can try and palm them off like they are.

Thank you - I could not agree more!!!!! I cannot believe that fellow works in the cruise industry - if he does it is certainly not marketing!!

Yes, I agree with you about not changing with the changing dollar so you need to have a currency converter on your computer to check.

Murrumba, it appears that HAL are detecting that I come from Australia because the price comes up for me in AUD also when I go to the contacts page it immediately flicks the the Aussie contact. Do you know what I can do about this? :(

Thanks for your help.

Murrumba, it appears that HAL are detecting that I come from Australia because the price comes up for me in AUD also when I go to the contacts page it immediately flicks the the Aussie contact. Do you know what I can do about this? :(

Thanks for your help.

I would not worry about this. If you are going straight to the HAL site it only converts the US dollar into Aussie dollars. It is not like it is a so called Travel Agent who never changes their top dollar price.

This recognition of the Aussie started a while ago but I have friends who booked through the USA site and there was no difference. If you are worried ask somebody from the States on this board to check their price for the same day, same criteria (senior), same cruise etc. etc. so you know that you are comparing apples with apples. Then convert this amount from US dollars to Australian dollars by using a cash conversion web page on the internet.

Hope this helps.:p:o

Thanks for your help.

I think that you need to remember that when you book from Australia the taxes are usually included. But when you book through the States these are added on later. :o The included tax is a requirement of Australia. I believe the port taxes etc. are quite expensive for some ports.

There is a good site Cruises.com which if you click at the top they give you prices in Aussie dollars which are the same as the US ones. It is only some TA in the States who won't deal with Australians. Cruises.com. will

There is a good site Cruises.com which if you click at the top they give you prices in Aussie dollars which are the same as the US ones. It is only some TA in the States who won't deal with Australians. Cruises.com. will

I had a look at the above website but if you look at the section for International Customers it states:

"Note: Azamara Club Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, Costa Cruises, Holland America Line, Oceania Cruises, Princess Cruises, and Royal Caribbean International now prohibit U.S. travel agencies (including Cruises.com) from selling cruises to customers who do not have a residence in the U.S. or Canada."

There is a 1800 number for Australia so I'm not sure if you can book this way. Anyone have any experience of this?

Thank you for the information BruceMuzz. If this is the case, I apologise for the rudeness of my nation. I guess I must only mix with the 10% who do tip and our cruising friends have all discussed this issue many times. We were all relieved when the 'compulsory tipping' was introduced as it solved our problems with not being so familiar with the tipping systems in place on cruises. As I said previously, our desire is to 'fit in' - not stand out as those who do not play by the rules and are unaware of the courtesies of everyday life when out of our own environment.

I seem to remember reading some treads where people have said they do remove tips. I'll have to go back and read these again. We will be adjusting our tips 'up' - but will be doing this directly with the crew members who have gone out of their way to help. This has been the advice given regularly on CC so that the money actually remains with that person. How will this show up in the statistics? Does each crew member have to declare which cabin gave them tips? There is just so much I don't know about the systems in place. Statistics always seem to depend on what information is given accurately in the first place.

I'm interested in the comment 'my ship'. Does this mean that you own a cruise liner or are a captain? I would have thought this is fairly privileged information. Or is it available to all? I'd be interested to know if the percentages were different on different cruise lines. We try to choose a cruise line which matches our interests, which is why we have always avoided the cheap 'party' cruises which sail from Australian ports.

Thanks also to those who have railed against stereotyping in this thread. Sometimes, it's hard to be polite but I guess it's all about the way you have been raised.

Ditto

Also Murrumba, are cruises.com OK to deal with as a company and won't try to rip us poor aussies off?

I have never used them personally myself. But I did talk to a RCL representative once and when she realised that I was retired she recommended that I book at the last minute with them if my time was available.

I prefer to book directly through the cruise companies. I know that people say that you get OBC and books etc. for booking with internet TA but those books to me are not worth anything and I love getting price drops directly given to me when requested through the Cruise companies. I do not like working through third persons, they always find a time not to be available, etc. etc. etc.

Don't even think poor Aussie - in my dealings the US cruise companies have been fantastic as have their cruise staff. It is not the cruise companies that try to rip you off it is the travel agents (so called) in Australia. I have used Vacations to Go and their prices were great, but again I found it just as easy to be in control of my own paperwork via the cruise company on-line documents, rather than waiting for somebody else to be responsible. I am a control freak I guess, and I believe that I can work in my own best interest better than a person who looks after many.

At the end of every cruise on my ship, I receive a report on gratuity adjustments.

The report tells me:

How many pax adjusted their tips up, and the total additional tips received.

How many pax adjusted their tips down, and the total amount lost.

How many pax removed their tips entirely, and the total amount lost.

The stated reasons for each adjustment up or down.

A breakdown - by nationality- of adjusted tips.

A breakdown of percentage of each nationality of adjusted tips.

Those from Australia and New Zealand are the most telling, and the most predictable.

The number of Aussies and New Zealanders who remove ALL the tips is always over 90% of the total pax from those countries.

Do ALL Aussies and New Zealanders ALWAYS refuse to tip? Of course not.

But MOST of them, MOST of the time, refuse to tip the staff.

The reason stated is ALWAYS the same; "We don't tip in our country".

Do ALL Aussies and New Zealanders pay extra for cruises ALL the time? Of course not.

But MOST of them pay more MOST of the time.

Seems fair to me.

I have never met an Australian passenger on a cruise ship who has refused to tip. I have read about how some people Australian, Canadian, American have removed tips. I find it really hard to believe that 90 percent of Australians remove tips. Perhaps it is because they do not like being subjected to having these tips taken and want to give to the persons directly. Then perhaps this could be true.

Since I started cruising in about 1989, on Russian Ships, Australian Ships, American Ships we knew why, how and when we needed to tip and have always done this as this is the practice. Most Australians understand this - we are not that dumb!!!! But the practice of having tips added to the fare may be against the grain.

thankyou for the good advice Murrumba, I'm off to purchase a cruise with my very highly valued antique button collection, and I'll make sure I pay all my tips from my highly prized toenail collection :D LOL!!!!

Still chuckling at the croc dundee comments LMAO!!! :D But then we did get Don Lane from you guys!!! .... BWAHHHHHHH :)

thankyou for the good advice Murrumba, I'm off to purchase a cruise with my very highly valued antique button collection, and I'll make sure I pay all my tips from my highly prized toenail collection :D LOL!!!!

Still chuckling at the croc dundee comments LMAO!!! :D But then we did get Don Lane from you guys!!! .... BWAHHHHHHH :)

Enjoy whatever cruise you decide to take and don't forget to add onto your cruise fare your tips - the reputation of every Australian who wishes to cruise is on your very shoulders - hope they are wide and strong!!!:p:p:p

I'm looking at a HAL SA/Antarctic cruise next January and in my case HAL's Australian agent is about 15% (incl taxes) cheaper than HAL's web prices in A$.

On another note about tipping, across on the P&O Australian forum tonight is a thread reporting that Princess Australia is dropping the automatic tipping on the Dawn Princess and Sun Princess from mid 2011. I presume the fares will increase that bit to cover the crew tips - and thus remove some angst from novice cruisers who are unfamiliar with the custom of tipping. To me this sounds like a marketing strategy to get more Aussies and Kiwis on their ships, and not discouraging them as 'undesirables' (as one or two here have implied)!

I'm looking at a HAL SA/Antarctic cruise next January and in my case HAL's Australian agent is about 15% (incl taxes) cheaper than HAL's web prices in A$.

On another note about tipping, across on the P&O Australian forum tonight is a thread reporting that Princess Australia is dropping the automatic tipping on the Dawn Princess and Sun Princess from mid 2011. I presume the fares will increase that bit to cover the crew tips - and thus remove some angst from novice cruisers who are unfamiliar with the custom of tipping. To me this sounds like a marketing strategy to get more Aussies and Kiwis on their ships, and not discouraging them as 'undesirables' (as one or two here have implied)!

Just make sure if you go ahead with booking with Australian TA that they will honour price drops. Quite often this is not the case.

I have 3 cruises booked and I booked early on all 3 because the price was so good. Since booking a couple of months ago, the cruises dropped and I got all the price drops and they have risen higher than what I originally paid. Norwegian and Carnival honoured price drops - and it was instantaneous not having to go through a TA who will state "that is only for new bookings".

Hey Murrumba, I gather you booked your up coming cruises for this year direct with Carnival and Norwegian? Also, should we wish to book with RCL direct there would be no problem doing that and not experience the huge price hikes that Aussies otherwise experience with booking through TAs? Sorry if I sound like I'm repeating myself but I just want to make sure I get this right before I put it to my friends ;) It certainly does sound the best approach to go directly there and I'm more than happy to do that as I always organise our trips myself anyway - like you I like to have control over what we are going to do and spend our money on. If the cruise lines have an Australian phone number listed on their website is it still best to speak with their US office? Much appreciate your help.

Numerous comments have been made regarding shipping costs that influence consumer goods while this is correct but answer this then . Below are 2 actual scenario's that I have encountered.

1/ XXXX is a brand of Aussie beer produced and bottled here in QLD. So tell me why did I find it cheaper to buy XXXX in Wales( UK ) in a supermarket than it was to purchase here and I live 50km from where it is made.

2/ We have a large grocery supermarket chain here is Aust called Woolworths. For some reason that defies logic the town that I live in has 2 stores about 1km apart with a 3rd being constructed about 2 km away. If you think that is stupid the opposition chain had 2 stores on opposite sides on the road and Im not talking a major highway here. But back to the point when the new store opened up it is in a strip style shopping centre easier to get into than its other store which is in a major shopping centre I noticed that prices were dearer in the new store which due to its location would have cheaper leases. The response from the store Manager who I mentioned it to told me that the new store is classed as a "Country" store so it is dearer to allow for freight costs...remember you can walk between the 2 stores and often you see the delivery trucks and due to access of the highway they go to the country store first. When I asked him ok so why does a bag of ice cost 30 cents more when the iceworks that produced it is closer to the dearer store. they have to pass the dearer store to deliver to the cheaper one. He didnt answer except to say he didnt set the prices.

People are charged what the supplier feel the market will accept. Prices will not change until people start going elsewhere instead of accepting what is offered. As i mentioned I live in a town just nth of Brisbane and when I moved here we had one pizza store pizza's were $17 ea. when a second competitor opened they dropped to between $7 and $10 each, now a third chain has arrived on the scene prices are as low as $4 ea.

Now fuel costs and produce prices have risen yet pizza prices have dropped by over 400%.

Me im a firm believer in the beereconomy. "How far to the gold coast" ....... " arhhh its about a 6 stubby trip"

Hey Murrumba, I gather you booked your up coming cruises for this year direct with Carnival and Norwegian? Also, should we wish to book with RCL direct there would be no problem doing that and not experience the huge price hikes that Aussies otherwise experience with booking through TAs? Sorry if I sound like I'm repeating myself but I just want to make sure I get this right before I put it to my friends ;) It certainly does sound the best approach to go directly there and I'm more than happy to do that as I always organise our trips myself anyway - like you I like to have control over what we are going to do and spend our money on. If the cruise lines have an Australian phone number listed on their website is it still best to speak with their US office? Much appreciate your help.

Yes, I have booked 2 cruises directly on the internet to RCL (they cost in Aussie dollars). Their paperwork is excellent (all done by internet now) - I think we got the last silk blue folders. No problems at all.

I saw their "Aussie" representative and no I would definitely not book through them as their price is always hiked up. Another Agent who is agent for many. I just use my telephone if I need to with a telephone card to keep costs down. Although on my telephone plan at home I can ring anywhere in the world for $2.00 for 20 minutes too.

Good luck and don't worry - it is the middle man's inefficiencies that are the problem!! This way you won't have to worry about it.:D

Archived