Why are Aussies being overcharged for cruises?

Plato2322

Having unfortunately read this thread from start to finish today, I have to say I find it pretty horrifying. And by the way, I'm British, which puts me in the 'undesirable' category along with most of the other posters here, as far as I can see.

As for Bruce; whilst the other posters here might find you a wealth of information - yes, that's tongue in cheek there; I should probably spell it out as generalizing, Americans don't tend to get sarcasm. Aussies do, so that's one tick against their blackened name - I, myself, find you a wealth of fallacies.

Having read your posts (some of them I had to re-read actually, just to confirm that they were as offensive as I first imagined), it is clear that you are leading the posters here to believe that you are a Hotel Director. Whether you actually are or not is of very little importance to me; you clearly like to talk in stats, however you've managed to obtain them.

I think my first point would be why, & what do you hope to achieve from reeling off three nationalities in particular as 'undesirables'... Name and shame in such an undignified manner.. and then what?

'Brits generally tip only small amounts at home, and over 50% of them consistently will not tip on a cruise ship', I'd say that is completely false but obviously, you have your end of cruise reports in front of you and I do not. This whole 'Brits don't tip' thing is a bit out of date now, to be honest. Whether the same applies to Aussie & Kiwi passengers, I cannot say with any conviction as I've never worked on ships with any great numbers of those passengers.

But actually, regardless of all of that, I would call in to question the integrity of you, yourself - why you would choose to divulge these figures that you have in your hand on a public forum, & to what end? I have also worked on many ships Bruce, and despite being badgered by many a passenger, what I'm paid is not open for discussion. If you are indeed a Hotel Director, or you have come by the 'stats' by any other means, I would have thought you, of all people, would know that this sensitive material has no place being bandied about on a public forum; it's just bad form.. & it's served no purpose at all, apart from alienating posters from a certain continent. Regardless of what you or what you claim your Head Office *might* say, they undoubtedly would take a dim view of you posting your statistics & figures of wages on a public forum - it might be an idea for you to quit while your *ahead*, so to speak.

Having unfortunately read this thread from start to finish today, I have to say I find it pretty horrifying. And by the way, I'm British, which puts me in the 'undesirable' category along with most of the other posters here, as far as I can see.

As for Bruce; whilst the other posters here might find you a wealth of information - yes, that's tongue in cheek there; I should probably spell it out as generalizing, Americans don't tend to get sarcasm. Aussies do, so that's one tick against their blackened name - I, myself, find you a wealth of fallacies.

Having read your posts (some of them I had to re-read actually, just to confirm that they were as offensive as I first imagined), it is clear that you are leading the posters here to believe that you are a Hotel Director. Whether you actually are or not is of very little importance to me; you clearly like to talk in stats, however you've managed to obtain them.

I think my first point would be why, & what do you hope to achieve from reeling off three nationalities in particular as 'undesirables'... Name and shame in such an undignified manner.. and then what?

'Brits generally tip only small amounts at home, and over 50% of them consistently will not tip on a cruise ship', I'd say that is completely false but obviously, you have your end of cruise reports in front of you and I do not. This whole 'Brits don't tip' thing is a bit out of date now, to be honest. Whether the same applies to Aussie & Kiwi passengers, I cannot say with any conviction as I've never worked on ships with any great numbers of those passengers.

But actually, regardless of all of that, I would call in to question the integrity of you, yourself - why you would choose to divulge these figures that you have in your hand on a public forum, & to what end? I have also worked on many ships Bruce, and despite being badgered by many a passenger, what I'm paid is not open for discussion. If you are indeed a Hotel Director, or you have come by the 'stats' by any other means, I would have thought you, of all people, would know that this sensitive material has no place being bandied about on a public forum; it's just bad form.. & it's served no purpose at all, apart from alienating posters from a certain continent. Regardless of what you or what you claim your Head Office *might* say, they undoubtedly would take a dim view of you posting your statistics & figures of wages on a public forum - it might be an idea for you to quit while your *ahead*, so to speak.

"and so say all of us..and so say all of us....for he's a terrible fellllowww.."

good job, Alexis73 ;)

thanks!!

we leave Tues morning, stopover in Singapore then Barcelona..then 21 days E / W Med ...:D

Alexiss Thank you for the terrific reply to BruceWW - hear, hear!!

Jannaandjohn Have a wonderful holiday - I am green with envy. Hope all your mates on British Airlines get around the issues facing them. Enjoy yourselves whatever comes your way - I am sure you will - Don't think Bruce will be on the ship!!! p.s. Don't forget to tip - the reputation of Australia is on your sole shoulders!!

How is it going for you?

Hi Murrumba :)...not getting anywhere. We were wondering if it's worth 'phoning RCI's head office....I have a feeling the answer will be 'no' but we are really getting worried :( .....thankyou in advance.

thanks!!

we leave Tues morning, stopover in Singapore then Barcelona..then 21 days E / W Med ...:D

Hi again :)....that sounds wonderful. My doctor was recently in Barcelona, the departure port for his east med. cruise. He said that the 2 days he had there before the cruise just wasn't long enough and he hopes to visit Barcelona again.

Soon be Tuesday :)

Hi Jann & John

Have a wonderful and safe cruise.

Leanne

thanks Leanne, I did read some of your reviews on the HAL Vol', shame it wasn't all good(as like ours :()..but the last one we did on Celebrity Infinity in Nov to Panama Canal was fantastic!

off on NCL this trip, we like them too.

thanks Leanne, I did read some of your reviews on the HAL Vol', shame it wasn't all good(as like ours :()..but the last one we did on Celebrity Infinity in Nov to Panama Canal was fantastic!

off on NCL this trip, we like them too.

Have you read about the extra cruise ships coming to Australia next year, I think it is great with the extra competition. Actually there is talk of Celebrity Century coming to Australia.

Some friends we made on the Volendam have not long been on the Brilliance of the Seas and said it ran rings around the Volendam.

We don't want to fly too far, hence why we will still be cruising near Australia, too costly with 2 children.

I must admit I want to do the Panama Canal and Alaska.

• 2 weeks later...
I have just received a reply from Alan Fox at V2GO. Here is part of his reply.

Unfortunately, Celebrity, Cunard, Holland America, MSC, Oceania, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Star Clippers now prohibit all U.S. travel agencies (including Vacations To Go) from selling cruises to citizens of countries other than the United States and Canada, unless they have a residence in the U.S. or Canada. This is not a Vacations To Go policy or a U.S. government policy, it is a corporate policy instituted by each of these cruise lines. We are very disappointed in the restrictions they have placed on U.S. travel agencies.

Fortunately, many cruise lines allow customers of all nations to book deeply-discounted cruises through Vacations To Go. Here is a list of cruise lines we can offer you: Azamara, Carnival, Cruise West, Crystal, Disney, Norwegian, Paul Gauguin, Regent Seven Seas, Seabourn, SeaDream, Silversea, Voyages of Discovery and Windstar.

If you are ever interested in booking one of these cruise lines, please let me know.

Thanks again for writing, and best wishes!

You really have to wonder about the hypocrisy of Carnival allowing International Clients to book through V2GO for Carnival Cruises but prohibiting International Clients from booking Princess Cruises in the same manner. It appears they feel comfortable with having two opposing policies for the two cruise lines it owns.

Congratulations to NCL who don't participate in the multi-pricing that is dependant upon where you live and also RCL are very comparable with mainly their websites reflecting different prices in different currencies but the amounts are also very comparable. Princess Cruises seem to be the main contender here and I will give a small example of how much Australians are being ripped off by these cruise lines. Now these prices are direct from the cruise line with no agents involved so it's Princess Australia -v- Princess US. I'll keep it comparable and make the stateroom price the Balcony (minimum) offered. Taxes and charges not included as these are comparable:

Apr 14,2010 Bangkok to Anchorage 32 days: (Aussie +US$ 766)

Aussie Price: AU $7,001 (US $6,434)

US Price: US $ 5,660

May 6, 2011 Beijing to Anchorage 16 days: (Aussie +US$ 1,983)

Aussie Price: AU $ 4,225 (US $3,882)

US Price: US $ 1,899

May 6, 2011 Beijing to Vancouver 23 days: (Aussie +US$ 2,892)

Aussie Price: AU $ 6,083 (US $5,591)

US Price: US $ 2,699

Now remember this is the difference for 1 passenger only in a twin room, so the difference is actually doubled.

This huge overcharging has totally turned me off cruise lines that want to engage in this price ripping behaviour. So for those Aussies that really want to find out if they are being charged comparable prices to their overseas conterparts this is what you need to do. Log onto the cruise line from where you are in Australia and find the cruise you are interested in and the page where it shows you the price. Now open a new blank tab and do a google seach for 'proxy server' - there are heaps of them - and find one in the US and go to it. Now you will find a space on there where it will tell you to enter the URL you want. Go back to the tab where you can see the price of the cruise you're interest in and copy the address (URL) of that page into the space on the proxy server tab. Now you will see an identical page with the price structure that the cruise line is selling you stateroom from in that country.

If you feel ripped off I suggest you email them or better still ring them and then look for a cruise line that isn't doing this country based pricing or only go on those few cruises where prices are comparable.

Hope this helps and ohhh I'm flying for my next vacation and NCL here I come.

Plato, I absolutely agree with how you feel. We have been looking at a cruise for December. The difference in price between USA and british price is a whopping £500+ per person or cerca $750!

Put another way for the price paid in the UK for an inside cabin, the Americans can get a suite.:D

Congratulations to NCL who don't participate in the multi-pricing that is dependant upon where you live and also RCL are very comparable with mainly their websites reflecting different prices in different currencies but the amounts are also very comparable. Princess Cruises seem to be the main contender here and I will give a small example of how much Australians are being ripped off by these cruise lines. Now these prices are direct from the cruise line with no agents involved so it's Princess Australia -v- Princess US. I'll keep it comparable and make the stateroom price the Balcony (minimum) offered. Taxes and charges not included as these are comparable:

Apr 14,2010 Bangkok to Anchorage 32 days: (Aussie +US$ 766)

Aussie Price: AU $7,001 (US $6,434)

US Price: US $ 5,660

May 6, 2011 Beijing to Anchorage 16 days: (Aussie +US$ 1,983)

Aussie Price: AU $ 4,225 (US $3,882)

US Price: US $ 1,899

May 6, 2011 Beijing to Vancouver 23 days: (Aussie +US$ 2,892)

Aussie Price: AU $ 6,083 (US $5,591)

US Price: US $ 2,699

Now remember this is the difference for 1 passenger only in a twin room, so the difference is actually doubled.

This huge overcharging has totally turned me off cruise lines that want to engage in this price ripping behaviour. So for those Aussies that really want to find out if they are being charged comparable prices to their overseas conterparts this is what you need to do. Log onto the cruise line from where you are in Australia and find the cruise you are interested in and the page where it shows you the price. Now open a new blank tab and do a google seach for 'proxy server' - there are heaps of them - and find one in the US and go to it. Now you will find a space on there where it will tell you to enter the URL you want. Go back to the tab where you can see the price of the cruise you're interest in and copy the address (URL) of that page into the space on the proxy server tab. Now you will see an identical page with the price structure that the cruise line is selling you stateroom from in that country.

If you feel ripped off I suggest you email them or better still ring them and then look for a cruise line that isn't doing this country based pricing or only go on those few cruises where prices are comparable.

Hope this helps and ohhh I'm flying for my next vacation and NCL here I come.

Hi Plato :)...I also did some comparing and came up with the same differences as you did. Not at all happy :(

Murrumba, all is well. All our documents arrived just less than 2 weeks before our cruise. The TA told us that he does our online check in....but we did it ourselves, not trusting him.

BUT...he still will not give us a breakdown so we have no idea what we paid for the flights, cruise and accommodation :(

Never the less...hey ho! looking forward to it on the 12th :D

As a Canadian, I'm appalled at some of the slurs and stereotype nonsense posted by my fellow North Americans on this thread. Shame on you!

I guess I'm not surprised at the apathy of North Americans on this topic, but I am annoyed by it. Discriminatory regional pricing is a hot button for me.

I'm a "destination expert" for cruises on another travel board (CC rules prevent me from mentioning that board name or providing a link - try Google if you're curious). It's a hot topic over there. Much research has gone into this by our Aussie members.

Even though there are U.S. travel agencies which now refuse to book Australians online on certain cruise lines, if you shop around you will find a reliable agency which will be happy to take your business. Again, because of board rules, I can't give names.

No one on that board, and no one on Cruise Critic have ever posted to say they were personally denied boarding. While it's a disturbing rumour, it appears to be without foundation.

Hi Plato :)...I also did some comparing and came up with the same differences as you did. Not at all happy :(

Murrumba, all is well. All our documents arrived just less than 2 weeks before our cruise. The TA told us that he does our online check in....but we did it ourselves, not trusting him.

BUT...he still will not give us a breakdown so we have no idea what we paid for the flights, cruise and accommodation :(

Never the less...hey ho! looking forward to it on the 12th :D

Tanderra have a wonderful holiday. Glad that you got your documents Ok. I would still insist that he gives you a breakdown of your costs - that is not negotiable. It is your money and you have a right to know costings.

Anyway, enjoy your cruise and have a wonderful time. I am off to Cairns (Barrier reef) just after you leave on your cruise. Enjoy:)

I have to say I have quite enjoyed Bruce's posts - blunt they may be, but I appreciate his honesty.

Couple of points though - I would accept an argument for charging higher rates in certain countries to offset the tipping differential, IF there was the slightest chance that the higher dollar amounts charged actually found their way into the crew's pay packets. We all know this wouldn't happen and it would, and does, simply pad out the cruise line's bottom line and increase profits.

It's also pretty obvious that the cruise lines just use the lack of accessibility to competition in certain countries to gouge residents in Europe and Australasia. I'm back to my soapbox of cruise lines making an acceptable level of profit and not exploiting their monopolistic position.

Murrumba and others that may be able to help. I have now decided to book our cruise directly with Carnival for October 2011 - the eastern caribbean one. I understand that the amount they charge for the cruise is in US dollars. Is a credit card the best (and possibly only) way to pay in order to get the top change over rate? Am I right in assuming that Carnival will deduct the cost of the cruise in US dollars from my Aussie credit card and my bank will then do the conversion and charge a fee for the conversion? I note Murrumba that you book direct in the US for your cruises all the time. Is this the way you do it? Thanks for your help.

Yes, Flossygirl - that's the best way to do it.

My credit card is in C$ instead of AU$, but the principle is the same.

DO NOT let Carnival do you the "favour" of transposing the US$ amounts to AU$. Their rate will be much, much worse than what your Australian credit card/bank charges for conversion.

Ooooh, thanks for the tip fann1sh! I wouldn't have realised there was a difference :(

One other thing, is it best to pay for all of the cruise at once given that the Aussie dollar is strong at the moment or only a deposit now and wait to see what happens? I'm wondering what will happen if we pay for all of it now and the cost of the cruise goes down. Will Carnival still honour the difference if we book the early saver even though we have paid in full?

Archived