Why are Aussies being overcharged for cruises?

Plato2322

Send me a PM if you want the name of our travel agent - I didn't know if I could mention her on here, but she's an absolute star and has helped us through many changes-of-plan.

Seraphine, thank you for your kind offer but I can't seem to find where I can send you a PM. :( Please excuse my ignorance! Can you send me something and hopefully I'll be able to find it! Cheers, Flossy

Hi Seraphine, I found how to send a PM but I can't find your email address. Could it be that it is blocked? I sent you a 'friend request' anyway so hopefully that will allow me to see your email address :o

It seems that most of this thread has gone down the line about the price differences being a way to recoup the non-payment of tipping by Aussie and NZ tourists. I feel the issue is much bigger than this and if we were talking about a 10-15% higher price i guess we could even accept these prices. However, while there is some parity in pricing on some cruises the vast majority sees Aussies and NZ's paying thousands of dollars more, not hundreds - thousands.

You might remember some years ago when DVD players first came out they were made 'region specific'. This was so movie studios could regulate market price in different countries. With the advent of the internet consumers quickly found that they could secure cheaper dvd's from Asia and other countries. This ploy eventually failed with 'mods' and eventually region free players entering the market.

This is where cruise prices ( not all but most of them currently are). Even cruise line prices are directly related to where you access the internet from i.e. the website detects I am from Australia so it sends me to the page that has the prices they want to charge Aussies. A person accessing the same site in the US will be shown a different price for that same cruise.

I wonder how Aussies feel knowing that are paying more for their cruise and still expected to tip. Doesn't this sound a bit like 'double dipping'. I'm so relieved when I fly Emirates that my partner is not required to wear a burqa.

Well according to the answers we have from this thread it is not to recoup the cost of people not tipping- it is because they would prefer we do not curise at all! Hard to be insulted by that isn't it?:cool: I don't drink and have only booked a couple of shore excursions too. Be lucky if I am not made to walk the plank. I also don't gamble. According to the poster I should be charged tripple for daring to think I have the same right to cruise that everyone else does. I do tip- always- but that probably wont' make up for my lack of extravagant on board spending. Pesonally I think it is all rubbish. Promoters, marketers etc charge what they think people will pay. As long as Aussies keep paying the higher prices we will be charged them.

Brucemuzz

You are the first post that I have ever seen that comes close to admitting that the compulsory gratuity scheme is nothing more than a passenger subsidy towards the wages of the service crew. I have never believed that the money raised from the gratuities scheme is extra money put in the crews' paypackets. I am an Australian and proud of it and with the outrageous prices we are paying for cruises I refuse to sign up for the compulsory gratuities.

We are being ripped off for the cruise prices and if we participate in the gratuities scheme we are being ripped off twice.

I always tip the Cabin steward, the dining room waiters and any other crew member that gives me exceptional service even though I NEVER tip in Australia.

Princess operates ships out of Australia mainly for the Australian market and it seems that they know Australians and New Zealanders generally do not tip. Perhaps that is why we pay through the nose for our cruises but no one can convince me that between $1000 and $2000 more for the same cruise if paid for in USA is a fair differential for not participating in the gratuities scheme which would be about $200. It seems to me the cruise companies are exploiting Australians and New Zealanders.

Johndon

Brucemuzz

You are the first post that I have ever seen that comes close to admitting that the compulsory gratuity scheme is nothing more than a passenger subsidy towards the wages of the service crew. I have never believed that the money raised from the gratuities scheme is extra money put in the crews' paypackets. I am an Australian and proud of it and with the outrageous prices we are paying for cruises I refuse to sign up for the compulsory gratuities.

We are being ripped off for the cruise prices and if we participate in the gratuities scheme we are being ripped off twice.

I always tip the Cabin steward, the dining room waiters and any other crew member that gives me exceptional service even though I NEVER tip in Australia.

Princess operates ships out of Australia mainly for the Australian market and it seems that they know Australians and New Zealanders generally do not tip. Perhaps that is why we pay through the nose for our cruises but no one can convince me that between $1000 and $2000 more for the same cruise if paid for in USA is a fair differential for not participating in the gratuities scheme which would be about $200. It seems to me the cruise companies are exploiting Australians and New Zealanders.

Johndon

Johndon,

I agree with you completely.

Now we just have to answer why the cruise line companies would intentionally rip off and potentially alienate a particular group of customers.

When the cruise lines are obviously in this business ONLY to make more money, why would they take the chance to alienate ANY potential customer, and then ONLY the people from Oz?

There has to be a very good reason to deliberately spoil a business relationship with anyone.

Thanks to the posters who have also commented on the tone of some of the posters - especially about comments from BruceMuzz who has backtracked on some of his more inflammatory statements I do feel less unwanted! The following may also lead to another change of opinion.

After been told that we need to make ourselves more 'desirable' if we want the cruise lines to deal with us - have a look at the travel inserts in some of the Australian news papers from last weekend.

Sydney Morning Herald - a full page ad from Cunard (p2) (plus earlier

posting by Gerton)

Brisbane Sunday Mail - 2 full page ads from Princess - 1 international,

1 Australian based

- 1 smaller Princess - Asian cruising

- full page P&O - Australian based

- many smaller ads fro TA's promoting Hal,

Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, MSC, APT,

Evergreen, Scenic

- HAL is bringing out a second ship for our summer

season

That's an awful lot of ships for such a small population.

I can't imagine that the cruise lines would go to the trouble of putting in full page ads if they saw the customer base as not desirable!

This did lead me to question how Australians would view some of these cruises. As most are cruising in our 'own back yard' I would imagine that many would see these as Australian cruises - and so apply the same criteria to tipping as they would at home.

Is it only U.S. cruise lines that pay $1.00 a day? Why would crew sign on at this rate if they know they will be dealing with the Australian market?

If so, it is reasonable that prices are slightly higher - but this needs to be made explicit. It is still hard to agree with the concept of slave labour - I know the crew are aware of this etc etc when they sign on - but it still doesn't make it right. Australians do need to be made aware of this and I intend writing a letter to the Herald to publicise this issue. The U.S. has a very different version of capitalism from Australia. We have far more government intervention in areas such as wages, health care, banking,gun control etc etc. And some of these interventions have helped us to survive the GFC mush better than other countries. We can travel more now as our dollar is higher. The Brits and U.S. citizens are now facing the situation we have had for so long. Perhaps we will be bolstering cruise line profits a little more now.

Scenic Cruises include tipping as part of the cost and there is no mention of anyone having the choice of removing this charge. Their boats are constantly full - mostly Australians - so there are many who will pay the cost.

We have questioned Australian TA's about the huge extra prices - and they blame the cruise lines. I have no evidence to support this - I'm sure there are profits being made here as well.

We love Adelaide Tanderra. Our good friends live there so we love visiting. Melbourne is also a favourite. Haven't made it to W.A since I sailed to England on the Fairstar in 1973 - and even then I tipped.

Johndon,

I agree with you completely.

Now we just have to answer why the cruise line companies would intentionally rip off and potentially alienate a particular group of customers.

When the cruise lines are obviously in this business ONLY to make more money, why would they take the chance to alienate ANY potential customer, and then ONLY the people from Oz?

There has to be a very good reason to deliberately spoil a business relationship with anyone.

Believe me - it's not just "people from Oz". The markups on British cruises are also appalling. I just saw an ad in the paper this weekend for the same cruise we are going on in April - the price in the paper was double, before you added on the flight price. :eek:

I don't understand why people are expected to research their cruise? I mean the whole point of being on a cruise for me, is that everything is done! I don't have to drive, I don't have cook, I don't have to pack/unpack, I just arrive to a new place, and do what I want to do.

If I wanted to research my holiday, I do so and save squillions by not cruising and utilising alternative transport/accomodation methods.

BTW, I'm a 6%'er too, seeing as though I tip when in countries where the tradition is to tip.

Muz, I still don't understand how: Aussies are such an undesirable cruise customer (because they don't tip) when they are charged far more in excess to the discounted cruise rate + tips of USA counterparts. Surely this would make them MORE desirable based on your assumptions and the fact the overall amount paid by Aussies is much higher?

I have just compared a Cruise on Diamond Princess for 6 May 2011 from Beijing to Vancouver. That should dispel all the garbage about cruising in our back yard. Now if you live in Australia and go to the Princess website and it dosen't matter whether you type .com or .com.au either way the website will detect you as an Aussie and give you prices in AUD on that cruise.... the AUD price for that cruise in a balcony stateroom is AU$6,083.

Now if you live in the US and access the website your price for a balcony on that cruise is US$2,699 ( let's say around AU$3,000)..... if you live in Australia and want to see this you will need to do a google search and locate a free proxy server in the US to fool the Princess website into believing you are in the US and you will see what US/Canadians are offered.

All the tipping, govt taxes, GST aside tell me why Aussies are paying double for this stateroom. Actually an Aussie will get an Obstructed Oceanview room on this cruise for what the Americans can get a Suite.

Well Princess, pity you don't play an active roll in these forums to explain this seemingly unfair anomaly.

Aussies don't tip.

They insist in doing things "their way" - even when they are NOT in their country.

The cruise lines have agreements with the tipped crew to cover shortages in tips when passengers don't tip.

Charging higher fares to Aussies is a great way to recoup that extra expense for the cruise lines.

I was offended too when I read this - I have always tipped (and always extra too) and dislike it intensely when others don't recognise service and tip appropriately. You can see some of my CC entries around November 2008 in relation to this issue. Do not just say Aussies do not tip - some Aussies may not tip, but some Americans do not tip either. I think when we use the ALL it is offensive.

I think the argument about the cost of cruises is ridiculous anyway. It is the agents that charge the $$$$$$$$$$$, I for one book directly with the cruise companies and this has been Royal Caribbean, Holland American, Norwegian Cruise Line and Carnival Cruise Lines. Why are they booking through "agents" anyway. There have been enough discussions in CC to dissuade persons from using agents, and going straight to shipping companies. If you can't go via the shipping company - go to one that you can book with. We have never had an issue in fact we have only praise for the business interactions we have with them and we like the fact that they give pricedrops too Yeh:o

:DAttention all Aussies!

It's not just cruises where you are getting "ripped off". My good friend Murrumba just bought a new refrigerator. She paid twice what the exact same refrigerator with the exact same features would cost in the US. Why? I have no idea! She also purchases clothes when she comes to the US as things here are much cheaper than in Australia.

So, maybe all this talk about cruise prices and tipping is just a red herring. Maybe a better question is why you have to "pay through the nose" for almost everything?

P.S. Murrumba, send me an email with a photo of the new refrigerator!:D

:DAttention all Aussies!

It's not just cruises where you are getting "ripped off". My good friend Murrumba just bought a new refrigerator. She paid twice what the exact same refrigerator with the exact same features would cost in the US. Why? I have no idea! She also purchases clothes when she comes to the US as things here are much cheaper than in Australia.

Could it be because the refrigerator was manufactured offshore (North America or Europe)? Lots of tourists enjoy shopping in the US, not only because of the prices, but because of the great variety of merchandise.

I'm not sure one can make a valid comparison between consumer goods and travel services, though.

Could it be because the refrigerator was manufactured offshore (North America or Europe)? Lots of tourists enjoy shopping in the US, not only because of the prices, but because of the great variety of merchandise.

I'm not sure one can make a valid comparison between consumer goods and travel services, though.

She told me that all of the refrigerators available in Australia are twice the price (or more!) than the same in the US. Same with almost all consumer goods. Don't know why you can't compare consumer goods and travel - what I'm saying is that it appears that most things cost much more in Australia than in the US - including cruises. Why? That's something for the Australians to answer.

She told me that all of the refrigerators available in Australia are twice the price (or more!) than the same in the US. Same with almost all consumer goods. Don't know why you can't compare consumer goods and travel - what I'm saying is that it appears that most things cost much more in Australia than in the US - including cruises. Why? That's something for the Australians to answer.

Once again, it depends on where the refrigerators are made. It stands to reason that a fridge that was manufactured in, say, Michigan, would be less costly to ship to Texas than it would be to ship "down under". I don't know if Australia has a large manufacturing industry, but chances are that many of their consumer goods come from another country, and household appliances are heavy and therefore expensive to ship.

Why can you not compare apples and oranges? The shipping cost of hard goods (like appliances) is a factor in the end price -- the fridge costs $X to make, plus $Y to ship, for a total of $Z. A cruise ship based in Australia is already on site (unless the cruise line adds the cost of moving the ship from North America to Australia to the price of the individual cruise), so there should be no added cost. A cruise ship that is located in Europe or North America would not incur any expense in taking on Australian passengers who would have paid their own travel expenses prior to boarding.

In other words, it may be understandable that some products cost more in Australia (just as some goods are more expensive in Hawaii, or Bermuda, because of the shipping costs), but an intangible like travel is harder to pin down.

Once again, it depends on where the refrigerators are made. It stands to reason that a fridge that was manufactured in, say, Michigan, would be less costly to ship to Texas than it would be to ship "down under". I don't know if Australia has a large manufacturing industry, but chances are that many of their consumer goods come from another country, and household appliances are heavy and therefore expensive to ship.

Why can you not compare apples and oranges? The shipping cost of hard goods (like appliances) is a factor in the end price -- the fridge costs $X to make, plus $Y to ship, for a total of $Z. A cruise ship based in Australia is already on site (unless the cruise line adds the cost of moving the ship from North America to Australia to the price of the individual cruise), so there should be no added cost. A cruise ship that is located in Europe or North America would not incur any expense in taking on Australian passengers who would have paid their own travel expenses prior to boarding.

In other words, it may be understandable that some products cost more in Australia (just as some goods are more expensive in Hawaii, or Bermuda, because of the shipping costs), but an intangible like travel is harder to pin down.

I understand about shipping costs - but if that were all it was - why does a television made in Singapore (very close to Australia) cost more in Australia than the same TV costs in Texas?? My point is that many goods and services cost more in Austalia than in the US and that if the Australians get upset about what they have to pay for a cruise (and I don't blame them!), maybe they should also get upset about what they have to pay for a "whatever".

I understand about shipping costs - but if that were all it was - why does a television made in Singapore (very close to Australia) cost more in Australia than the same TV costs in Texas?? My point is that many goods and services cost more in Austalia than in the US and that if the Australians get upset about what they have to pay for a cruise (and I don't blame them!), maybe they should also get upset about what they have to pay for a "whatever".

Demand, Demand, Demand - Fortunately or unfortunately we do not have the population (this was mentioned by another Aussie) In Australia we only have just 21 million compared to USA's hundreds of millions.

This issue also extends to coach trips (Via Cosmos, Archers). I checked and found that I can book overseas and get the same tour with 2 nights accommodation and flights from UK to Turkey for the same as what I pay Cosmos Australia. When I shop I convert monies all the time.

But with cruising I just book directly with the USA companies.

I know that people say we should be supporting Australia - but if you don't have the cash and want to do something or (wear something), then you just have to go with what you can afford and not feel ripped off!!!! Just learn to be SAVVY as they say. This costing process also goes for buying from the USA and UK and anywhere that has more population.

:o

For what it's worth, in support of our Aussie friends, I would like to offer another example of dual pricing.

The same type of system seems to exist for booking rail travel in Europe. We are in Canada, and our internet queries regarding train schedules and fares first go to a US-based Eurail website, which adds a premium to the cost of the reservation. We have found that the fares are much more reasonable if we book directly with SNCF (the national railway in France).

Many people are unaware of that fact, and most likely a brick and mortar travel agency would be required to book through the North American website. The internet provides more alternatives, but one has to know what is available.

I'm not sure if the same applies to booking cruises, though. But I have no doubt that the "middlemen" are taking their share of the pie, and find it hard to understand why there are so many "doubting Thomases" on these boards.

For Example: There is a so called "Agent" of RCL in australia. This Agent is just a Travel Agent. You can refuse to go with them and just go with RCL. Although this involves interacting with USA by email or telephone this is not an issue. If finances of telephoning are just go out and buy one of those telephone cards. We have been unable to run out our $10.00 in 3 months - We had nearly 1000 minutes to the States - so I call Madawaska USA all the time to try and use it up as well as other friends and shipping companies to organise cruises. With carnival when there is a price drop I just email and within 48 hours my paperwork is adjusted.

From my experience and I have travelled a lot in my life and been on hundreds of flights cut the middle man out in Australia. There are so many travel agents in Aussie compared to the US. For instance I once booked a United flight through an on-line TA and the price dropped by half the next day. United said that they would give me a credit note for use later on for the extra I had paid. When they noticed that I had booked through an on-line TA they said I had to contact them. I fought and fought but the TA would not honour this pricedrop therefore giving them about 2,000 profit. An earlier time a TA told me that she had to book us on a different airline as there were no seats left. I came home and checked and there were loads left and at a much cheaper rate (500 per person). When I queried her on this she became defensive and said that she never used the website that I was using. I could not do anything about this. These incidents sealed the deal for me, No TA's in my life again.

I am able to do anything that they can do and I am grateful everyday about this bonus of the internet and I feel confident of my skills in managing my own affairs. Many TA's I used in the past I had to direct them where in the world I was talking about (they need to know basic geography to have this job one would have thought).

For Example: There is a so called "Agent" of RCL in australia. This Agent is just a Travel Agent. You can refuse to go with them and just go with RCL. Although this involves interacting with USA by email or telephone this is not an issue. If finances of telephoning are just go out and buy one of those telephone cards. We have been unable to run out our $10.00 in 3 months - We had nearly 1000 minutes to the States - so I call Madawaska USA all the time to try and use it up as well as other friends and shipping companies to organise cruises. With carnival when there is a price drop I just email and within 48 hours my paperwork is adjusted.

I just rang Princess in Australia and it appears they are little more than an 'agent' of Princess in the US. I asked them about a price on a cruise which is around 100% cheaper in the US through Princess online available to US customers. They became very defensive about the whole issue saying they could only sell cruises at the prices they had been given. I said I could not justify paying double the price for a cruise and their was no concern about it possibly being a misprint or offering to check..... it seemed they were getting sick of such calls and people not booking through them. Next I will ring Princess in the states and see if I can book direct as you suggest..... thanks

I just rang Princess in Australia and it appears they are little more than an 'agent' of Princess in the US. I asked them about a price on a cruise which is around 100% cheaper in the US through Princess online available to US customers. They became very defensive about the whole issue saying they could only sell cruises at the prices they had been given. I said I could not justify paying double the price for a cruise and their was no concern about it possibly being a misprint or offering to check..... it seemed they were getting sick of such calls and people not booking through them. Next I will ring Princess in the states and see if I can book direct as you suggest..... thanks

Glad to help. Yes, this Agent business is confusing. We think that "Agent" means their official representative (because this is what is used to be) but it is not the case in real fact - they are probably "agents" to many cruise companies not just this one.

You will not have any issues with booking directly. One thing that RCL do is charge the tips upfront on the bill and I think that this was because "some" Aussies state that they did not know/did not want to tip. I for one do not mind this at all and even when I book Carnival, I suggest that I will pay upfront. I then upgrade this amount according to service and I have never had bad service ever on a ship yet!

I have found RCL and HAl to be great to deal with and they always have honoured price drops. HAL even put us into a hotel at the end of the Alaskan cruise, gave us money for a taxi to the airport in Vancouver and gave us a tour of the city as part of their special anniversary of Alaska. We did not even know about it, but they suggested this when I spoke with them on the telephone.

You can do all of this via credit card on-line, but I prefer to speak with them directly and that is why I suggest the telephone card use.

We were also treated to a couple of by invitation only cocktail parties with the captain (3 in total) on a 14 day cruise, one as a return customer, the second as an Aussie, and the third - don't know why, but the champagne was great! Oh, and we buy the cabin which we can afford only which is an inside guarantee (usually) cheapest cabin on the ship, so it was not because they think we have money!!!!:p:p

Good luck and whatever you decide you will have a great holiday. I don't think they are out to get you as some on this board may suggest, but rather perhaps our Aussie mates are a little greedy!!! - sorry, but true. :eek:

You will not have any issues with booking directly.

Murrumba, have you dealt direct with HAL since they have 'banned' US TAs from dealing with Aussie customers? I booked direct with HAL several years ago and have an upcoming cruise booked with their Australian 'agent' in June but am now looking at another cruise early next year and would prefer to book direct as I'm feeling ripped off doing it locally.

As an aside, to fit in with my upcoming Alaskan cruise, I booked a 9 night Insight Vacations tour through the Southwest USA and saved $1000 :) by doing it direct online with Insight USA instead of Insight Australia. Tour companies here haven't allowed for the strengthening Aussie dollar and won't amend their fares to reflect this.

Archived