I know that rules are rules (so please no flaming) BUT......

p0mpey

has anyone had any success in making a name change on a cruise booked on an Early Saver fare?

Quick background.....we (6 of us) were booked on The Splendor for last May when the cruise was diverted due to the Swine Flu. We decided to take the cruise credit. My DD and SIL rebooked using their credit for a cruise this April. She booked it through Carnival over the phone and didn't realize until being told today that it was booked on an Early Saver fare. I am sure she was told at the time of booking but she didn't realize what restrictions (apart from it being unrefundable) these fares carried. SIL finally got a new job last week (having graduated over a year ago) and has been told that any time off will result in termination so obviously he is unable to go. DD called Carnival to make a name change (to my name, who actually paid for the original Splendor cruise) to first be told that we couldn't make a name change because of it being a cruise credit (on a fully paid fare) and then today, after calling for an email address to send our plea, they then told us that it was booked as an early saver. Before this we felt we would have no problems as we were willing to pay the $50.00 for a name change and ready to plea our case with the cruise credit but now with it being an early saver rate it seems less likely that we can get the name change.

Anyone out there who has had this problem and resolved it? Do you think we have any chance at all in persuading Carnival to enable us to make this change? Looking at it from a business side Carnival will lose money, not allowing it as there will be an empty cabin and they will lose the $50.00 name change and all our on-board spending. How can we convince them of this?

Again, I realize that rules are rules but I really think this rule makes a possible win/win situation to a lose/lose one.

I think I have heard no even in cases of hospitalization. There might have been on where the lady was terminally ill and Carnival told them to send in the death certificate and they would consider it or some such.

They have been pretty strict so far about this rule .... when other rules they are so hit and miss ... doesnt make sense they pick this one rule to uphold.

I doubt they will just for a job, unless its a life or death situation, but call and call again and hope you can get a sympathetic ear.

It will cost the gal with the new job just $50, and she can schedule another cruise at some point in the future when she has vacation time. No need to forfeit the deposit and certainly no need to change the name.

The additional person just needs to come up with their fare just like everyone else and not use someone else's deposit. :)

IMHO, there is no way Carnival can (or should) make an exception here.

If you absolutely must take the other gal's deposit, you could legally change your name to the other gal's name... and you would not even have to pay the $50.

Don't say I did not give an alternative! Where there's a will, there's a way! :D

She said SHE originally paid not the SIL so actually SHE is losing quite a bit of money if she isn't able to take the cruise. She would have to have her SIL cancel and get the credit minus 50 then rebook under HER name and REPAY the deposit and have the credit added to the final payment. So now she's paid two deposits and her sil has paid a deposit. three deposits and one cruise. I think I'd rather only coming up with 50 as opposed to 500. Just me though.

If you absolutely must take the other gal's deposit, you could legally change your name to the other gal's name... and you would not even have to pay the $50.

Don't say I did not give an alternative! Where there's a will, there's a way! :D

That's a good piece of info right there!

Sassy0930, Thanks for your feedback and for pointing out that Salty Dingo missed an important fact. Yes I oiginally paid for this cruise......DH and I paid for our kids and prospective partners to go on a cruise with us last year. If we get the name change I will not be taking anyone's money but receiving a cruise that I paid for. Unforunately the cruise credits from last May has to be used before my son in law will get any vacation so he will not be able to use it in time. My DD is wondering whether she is daring enough to cruise solo so as not to lose two fares. Not sure whether I could do it myself but I know a lot of people do.

A couple of things come to mind after reading the post:

1. Always, always read the invoice/confirmation that comes to you - usually be email - sometimes snail mail. On that form will be ALL the information concerning the fare under which you have booked. It will give the restrictions, change fees, price guarantees.....all of it.

2. Your friend can protect her investment by simply cancelling the cruise, take the 50.00 hit and rebook another cruise.

3. You are right, rules are rules and they are there for a reason. If they start making exceptions, then it makes no sense to have any sort of terms and conditions on a fare - thereby defeating the entire purpose.

All that being said, it can't hurt to ask.

We had to cancel an early saver rate last year, and what happened was we paid a $50/fee each person to cancel, then the remaining deposit of $400 was kept as a credit at Carnival. (We cancelled before final payment but after deposit). You have one year to use that credit, and by "use", you just have to re-book another cruise within a year, but not sail within a year.

We just rebooked last weekend, and I assumed that $400 would be applied to our deposit, NOPE, it can only be applied to the remaining balance. So we had to pay another $500 deposit, then they applied the $400 to the remaining balance.

You can always rebook on a fully refundable fare, then cancel before final payment, and get a full refund. Well, I would assume anyway, because they did not require us to book another Early Saver rate.

Good luck, but worst case scenario, you lose $50/person.

Archived