Jeans??

proudmomma

I also may be a "newbie" to X, but have cruised Carnival, NCL, RC & Princess several times. I just met with our travel agent after reading all the negative posts on these boards about dress code, (we have already booked X). She assures me that although there may be a few "haughty" folks aboard, she reminded me, will be cruising Celebrity, not Cunard! We considered several factors when booking this cruise; ports, price, available suites etc., and Celebrity beat all others in price and amenities. My husband & I prefer to skip the formal evenings as we have no desire to cart around another 75 lbs. of luggage. We attend several formal functions throughout the year so dressing up for us is not a big deal. But for those who enjoy spending hours primping, I say enjoy, but that is not our idea of a vacation.

There's absolutely no need to cart around 75lbs of luggage, even if you include formal wear. I've done very long cruises, one where we had 9 formal nights, and my luggage did not go over 40lbs each for two bags. I don't understand why everyone who doesn't like formal nights say that the clothing is heavier than normal clothes. My formal outfits weigh less and take up less space than most of my casual clothes.

Well you lot wouldn't like P&O then, our last cruise 17 nights, we had I think 5 formal, 5 semi-formal (jacket for men, most wore a tie), rest smart casual.

I was on a 35 day cruise that had 9 formal nights and 12 semiformal/informal nights with the rest casual. Like I said in a previous post, I did this cruise with two bags, weighing 40lbs each. If you know how to pack smart, understand how to accessorize and the rest, you can look great, have formal clothes, be comfortable and still not overpack.

To the poster who said she saw people wearing the same thing on formal nights, that's one of my best packing tips. I have a long black gown, a tank style that's very simple. I wore that dress on four formal nights, but changed it up with items that were light weight and took up hardly any space. Just change the dress by pairing it with a fancy shawl, a lace shrug, a georgette blouse, a long lace jacket, different jewelry and bags and no one is the wiser. Believe me, you can be very comfortable and pack light with a little planning. Use a simple color palate that you can mix and match on different evenings, and you can do a 14 day cruise with one bag. Oh, and btw, that black dress cost me $14.99 after triple reductions at a department store.

. Our next one is a 14 day European cruise and with the airline restrictions, formal attire for 3 formal nights is crazy. On our last one, I saw fellow cruisers wearing the same outfit for all 3 formal nights and I understand why. It just doesn't pay to load up on formal attire.

There certainly is no need to pack 3 different outfits for each formal night. ;) The person you saw repeating, I can guarantee, was a frequent cruiser. Most new cruisers feel the need to over pack with more selection than really needed. One pair of black crepey pants or skirt with a couple different blouses is all a woman needs. The thought that you need to pack different outfits for every night IS "crazy", as you said. My DH loves a particular cocktail dress on me and asked that I wear it for both of our formal nights on the Solstice last month. Great news for me!:D I dress for him. Not to prove variety to other cruisers.:rolleyes:

Men usually wear their dark suit both or all three of the formal nights and switch up the ties, if they want. Definitely NOT a big deal.

There really isn't that much to pack for formal nights. So I never agree that that is the real reason some say they won't follow guidelines.

We did 16 nights this past Sept and I didn't need to over pack my one suitcase. Just think smart with color coordination. And remember that no one is counting how many times you wear those black capris!!!! That's in your head.;)

I've never worn jeans to dinner on a cruise ship.

So why start now you might ask?:D

I have a new pair of white jeans. How about them?

Put on a pretty dressier top or boyfriend blazer with a pair of heels, and go for it! If jeans are worn in a smart put together manner with nice accesories, they should not be looked down upon. ;)

It's the baggy, torn or "hanging down low" light colored ones, that will draw notice. Definitely NOT smart casual on either men or women.

This has always confused me, so I looked it up! a Tuxedo is the same thing as a dinner jacket, just a US term for the same thing. Originated in the Tuxedo Park Club in 1886 when the style of dress was brought back from the UK.

I'm certainly no expert on this but for some reason, I understood that a dinner jacket was white. Always thought this would be a bad idea on spaghetti night.

Rich

I'm certainly no expert on this but for some reason, I understood that a dinner jacket was white. Always thought this would be a bad idea on spaghetti night.

Rich

I am not an expert either, but as I understand it, a white/cream dinner jacket is only worn in the tropics, very bad form to wear one outside these climes...except for a ''black & white ball'' theme night. Whatever next, wearing brown shoes after 6pm in the city!! shock horror!!

That's right. A dinner jacket is a tuxedo jacket. It can be many colors, black, white, navy, dark brown....it is a piece of formal wear. The guidelines suggest tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket. Most of what are designated dinner jackets in the cruising world are the white jackets generally worn in the tropics. What could be easier for a man than a suit or tux with different accessories for formal nights. It takes up less room than different outfits for each night.

Ladies are easy too as have been described by many of the posters. I even have gowns that are very light weight and take up much less room than a casual outfit.

I am not an expert either, but as I understand it, a white/cream dinner jacket is only worn in the tropics, very bad form to wear one outside these climes...except for a ''black & white ball'' theme night. Whatever next, wearing brown shoes after 6pm in the city!! shock horror!!

I was brought up with the idea that a white dinner jacket was only proper from Memorial Day until Labor Day. Black tux the rest of the year. But in the great scheme of things does it matter.

I wore my long black skirt (uniform for formal night) with a sparkly shirt I bought at Sam's Club and people seemed to like that top better than my other tops for formal night.

I was brought up with the idea that a white dinner jacket was only proper from Memorial Day until Labor Day. Black tux the rest of the year. But in the great scheme of things does it matter.

I wore my long black skirt (uniform for formal night) with a sparkly shirt I bought at Sam's Club and people seemed to like that top better than my other tops for formal night.

I see you are from the South, as far as I know that is about right, is that the warmer time of year? don't know much about US holidays.

I'm glad I clicked on this thread, this is news to me! Totally surprised that Celebrity says no jeans in the dining room. I'm a loyal Royal Caribbean cruiser, and I've always worn jeans in the dining room. The nice "pricey" jeans. But it doesn't sound like Celebrity will allow it. Guess I'll have to throw a pair of slacks in to my luggage.

Not sure where you read jeans are not allowed, simply not true. I'd say the key is not to look like a slob, but I've seen some pretty casual jeans in the dining room on Celeb cruises.

Not sure where you read jeans are not allowed, simply not true. I'd say the key is not to look like a slob, but I've seen some pretty casual jeans in the dining room on Celeb cruises.

Before Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000tPwo1BIlvuxp2WNpQ1X_otF:12hdbcveb;jsessionid=0000EgEhuDOFNbYfh4cmKeWocRz:12hdbcveb?pagename=proper_dining_attire&cS=SIDENAV

Before Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000tPwo1BIlvuxp2WNpQ1X_otF:12hdbcveb;jsessionid=0000EgEhuDOFNbYfh4cmKeWocRz:12hdbcveb?pagename=proper_dining_attire&cS=SIDENAV

Thanks, something Celeb certainly doesn't enforce.

I'm not someone who wears jeans to dinner, but man I have to say, there are plenty who do and they are not stopped. Also, I have seen some in designer jeans who look fabulous and some in plastered polyester pants, not so fabulous. Maybe they should update their website to exclude poly also and spare us all that cellulite.

Guest liza.pettit

First off, I have certainly learned my lesson about spending my lazy days off on message boards! :D

Why are some of you so rude to those of us who express concerns over the "dress code." :confused:

Some of you even refer to Celebrity as being a "luxury" line. The reason this surprises me:

We wanted a 5 night cruise leaving May 5th. Celebrity's visiting Honduras and Mexico = $299 pp. Carnival's visiting Key West and Nassau = $439 pp.

Based on this info, is it so shocking, surprising, whatever that some of us purchased our tickets unaware that they are so different? If anything, I expected there to be a younger, drinking group of people choosing based on the super low fares!

And going so far as to say maybe WE DON'T SHOWER? Because we don't want to wear a gown????? I do not! Maybe some just want to discourage us from sailing Celebrity so we won't hog their pool chairs :p.

To the OP... look for my thread under "Worried we won't enjoy our first Celebrity Cruise" Interesting stuff there.

Guest liza.pettit

:D Hahahaha! I had a typing error on my post above ^. LOL it looks like I said I do not shower... boy that's really gonna have some fancy "X" cruisers squirming! I love it... :D

:D Hahahaha! I had a typing error on my post above ^. LOL it looks like I said I do not shower... boy that's really gonna have some fancy "X" cruisers squirming! I love it... :D

Quite well said. No one picks Celebrity to dress up. People pick cruises and cruise lines for various reasons. Price, itinerary,a particular ship, the smoking issue, etc. I have not heard that people pick this cruise line because you are "expected" to dress up. You are there to have a good time and a good vacation. If we don't want to dress up, we'll eat in the buffet so as not to embarass people who do. No problem. We will still look nice and no jeans for us. Our upcoming cruise in May is costing the three of us well over $6000 for a balcony and we intend to enjoy ourselves and not worry about what other people think.

Guest liza.pettit
Quite well said. No one picks Celebrity to dress up. People pick cruises and cruise lines for various reasons. Price, itinerary,a particular ship, the smoking issue, etc. I have not heard that people pick this cruise line because you are "expected" to dress up. You are there to have a good time and a good vacation. If we don't want to dress up, we'll eat in the buffet so as not to embarass people who do. No problem. We will still look nice and no jeans for us. Our upcoming cruise in May is costing the three of us well over $6000 for a balcony and we intend to enjoy ourselves and not worry about what other people think.

:eek: WOAH! If I spent 6 grand, I would walk around naked if I felt like it.... ha just teasing... well maybe... no really I'm kidding :D. Maybe one day the hubby and I can afford a balcony. If I ever finish college, lol. I would love to order breakfast and enjoy it on the balcony just watching the waves roll by... *sigh*

Have a WONDERFUL time!

No flip-flops. I have a pair of dressy ones with a little heel and satin bow...Are they not allowed at dinner? Or is the term "dressy flip-flops" an oxymornon???

Here in Southern California I think we all live in flip flops. In fact, I hardly own any closed-toed shoes.

So, yes, you certainly can find nice flip flops! :-)

Here in Southern California I think we all live in flip flops. In fact, I hardly own any closed-toed shoes.

I and the people that surround me must live in another dimension or in the twilight zone in Southern Cal. ;) I "dress" for work and believe it or not wear closed-toe shoes as do the people I work with. The only time I have seen flip flops were on PCH (the beach) on young kids. Do wear sandals in warm weather around our home, to run errands, casual parties, etc.

Archived