Sting Ray City - safe for kids - Questions

star65

Hi everyone,

We will be in GC on the Valor this summer. Family we are traveling with will be going to sting ray city with Soto tours and I would love to go with them. Here is the dilemma:

1). DH and DD loved Steve Irwin and are really nervous after what happened to him (DH said he would do it but is nervous)

2). DD (12) is really scared that she will step on them (especially when getting out of boat) because she saw a pix of them sort of burrowed in the sand.

I have heard you need to shuffle your feet when in the water with them to prevent possibly stepping on them.

So, what happens if you get stung, is that rare? Does anyone have experiences to share that will help my DD to not be so fearful? Anyone's child for the same?

Thanks for your help:)

Iv never heard of anyone being stung in Caymans, at least not reported on CC.

The water is not much more than waist high on me on the sand bar you will be standing on. These particular sting rays are fed pretty much daily and so are kinda tamed down as much as a dumb fish can be tamed.

Steve was in deep enough water he was underneath them when he got stung, not standing on a shallow sand bar.

It's very safe... they tell you the only way you could ever get hurt is if you stepped on a ray. They would only use the barb as a self-defense measure.

So, you shuffle your feet on the bottom instead of stepping.

The guides do handle the rays but they know how to do it without aggravating the animals. Guests should let the guides do the ray wrangling!

Our families have been to Sting Ray city on Grand Cayman twice. We have teenagers and they loved it. Stingrays all around, but our boat anchored 25 - 50 feet away and we swam up them. We never came close to stepping on one. Kids even held feed on their hands and the stingrays glided over their hands and ate the food. One time we went by ski jets with no problems. On guide even brought the stingrays on their backs. It is a great experience. Would imagine it is similar anywhere in the Caribbean.

Have a great vacation

go to the sandbar. I have gone with my kids before and they loved it. You will NOT step on them as the water is so clear you can see them. you just need to be aware of where you are walking. As for them stinging you I have never heard of this at stingray city. I think they are pretty much tame and used to the hoards of people who visit every day. They are just looking to be fed. Do not hesitate, it will be one of the highlites of your cruise.

bring your kids,follow directions and you will have a wonderful time. sounds like your kids are young-bring life vests if they are not good floaters as they may not be able to touch. the ray wranglers will help you find them,hold them and make sure all is well. it is a little wierd to come upon them and realize those aren't rocks but rays. they are good at swimming around your legs-i wouldn't be afraid at all. wish i was there right now!! what happened to steve irwin is rare and involved a much larger ray than you will see there,. ENJOY! oh and don't forget a disposable waterproof camera!

Our families have been to Sting Ray city on Grand Cayman twice. We have teenagers and they loved it. Stingrays all around, but our boat anchored 25 - 50 feet away and we swam up them. We never came close to stepping on one. Kids even held feed on their hands and the stingrays glided over their hands and ate the food. One time we went by ski jets with no problems. On guide even brought the stingrays on their backs. It is a great experience. Would imagine it is similar anywhere in the Caribbean.

Have a great vacation

The difference is these in sting ray city have been tamed down. They are used to being hand feed.

Thank you very much for your responses. I don't know exactly where Soto takes you but I will ask if it is the sand bar. Life vest is a good idea to, she is 12 but pretty short! I think she is willing to give it a try but is nervous. I did once read a review on CC where a gentlemen was stung, I just don't remember the whole story and I am wondering if it is like a jelly fish bite and once you rinse it your okay or not. I would really hate for something to ruin the cruise for DD she is SOOOO looking forward to it, it's been 4 years since her last cruise

Any other comments/suggestions are welcome

We did it in Grand Cayman with my children ironically the day Steve Irwin died! (we didn't find out about Steve until we got home)

The children loved it - only thing was when they swam up to you from behind, and you weren't expecting it, my daughters (and I) kinda freaked at first when you felt them swish by your legs! :eek: There was no problem stepping on them..

Just back from Grand Cayman this last weekend. We spent a week exploring Disney World before we went on the week cruise...and the Stingrays were the highlight of our entire vacation. Very cool.

We gave our 6 year old a choice, and he decided to stay on the ship. My 9 year old came with my wife and I on the tour. He got in the water with us, but got out after a little while claiming he was "cold". I have pictures that suggest otherwise, hehe. Seriously...It was unusually chilly in the morning when we went...so I really didn't press the matter. I wasn't worried about the Stingrays, what happen to Steve was a freak accident, that not even he could have predicted. Seriously...I think you have a greater chance of dying on the cruise ship than you do of death by stingray.

The rays are huge, and They swarmed the ship looking for food. The Rays are like seagulls, pigeons, or ducks...they sense the food and they come swarming. Once the food is gone...they move on to the next ship. It is a little intimidating to some people when you get in the water with them...but so is swimming with dolphins, and they are more deadly. The rays were gentle creatures, and as long as you follow the tour guide's advice, there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

The most intimidating thing for me, was letting the rays eat out of my hand. They don't have any teeth, but their mouth is on the bottom where you can't see it. When they feed...there is a sucking sensation...like the food is literally being fed into a vacuum cleaner.

We went with Stingray Sailing. We sailed on a nice sized Catamaran, and there were much less people on our tour than many of the other boats I saw, even though it was a full tour. It is a small family operation...the Captain met us at the port (even though we ended up at a different port that the one that was scheduled...he was there waiting for us). He was our driver, and our tour guide. He was very professional, spoke perfect English, and was extremely knowledgeable about the Island, having been born and raised there.

We were very fortunate to be out on the Sand bar before many other ships arrived. They were PACKED with people...kind of like the tender boats. We had plenty of space to lay out and relax on our ship...tons of room, even with a full compliment. The price was also very competitive...it may have even been cheaper that many of the other tours...I know it was less than half what it would have cost to do the tour through Carnival.

I was absolutely SHOCKED at the behavior of some of the other tour providers there...some of them actually dropped anchor on the coral reef...can you believe that!:mad:

I was in Grand Cayman the day after Steve died. There were a lot of nervous passengers lined up at the shore excusion desk asking it they were going to be killed on the excursion.:eek:

There are lots of types of rays. Steve was killed by a Bull Ray. The type you will see at Sting Ray Sandbar are Southern Stingrays.

People have been stung at the Sandbar, but it is extremely rare and usually the person deserved it. Other times were related to having very rough water, but now Grand Cayman monitors the water conditions and will close the site if things are getting too rough.

When I encounter rays in the wild, I give them a little wider berth, as they do me, but at Stingray City, they are after a free meal and very tolerant of people. At the sandbar, they are constantly on the move looking for the next handout, so is not easy to accidentally step on one, although I managed to so once without incident.

Without a doubt, Stingray City Sandbar is one of the all time best shore excursions anywhere and not to be missed. If you get there and don't want to get in the water, nobody is going to make you and on some tours, they will even bring a stingray up to the boat for you to see.

I recently read somewhere that they average 5 stings a year. Certainly can't claim that as fact as I just read it online. However, with the hundreds of thousands of people that go each year they say your chances are better at being struck by lightning.

We've decided to visit it but I am guessing neither of my girls 5 and 9 will want to go in. They are fine to watch from the boat and if they are interested in coming in that is fine too.

Stingray City and Stingray Sandbar are unique attractions. While there there are other stingray interaction sites in other Caribbean ports, Cayman offers the original interaction with wild Southern Stingrays. The rays in Cayman are not confined to a pen and have not been subjected to having their barbs removed.

Occasionally persons are stung by the barb of a ray. It is a relative handful of the million or so visitors to the stingrays each year. A sting is very painful and requires professional medical attention. The barb may break off in the wound and break into pieces. Stings may cause a ragged wound requiring stitches.

Actually a more common injury from the stingrays is related to the powerful suction generated by a ray's mouth. If the ray's mouth is flush against your skin when it tries to sucks up some food then you may have a large brusie as a souvenir. This is momentarily painful, but the stingray hickey usually heals with no medical treatment at all.

In persons with particularly fragile skin (elderly or those with certain medical conditions) this suction may be powerful enough alone to rip the skin and open a large wound. Efforts to control the bleeding and cleanse the wound may require professional medical care. You can help avoid these types of suction injuries by not rubbing your hands on any body parts after you have been holding the stingray food. The rays can smell this residue and try to suck in food that is not there.

Stingrays do not have teeth. They do have hard grinding plates which are made of cartilage. If you have your fingers in the ray's mouth as it feeds then you may feel the pinch of these grinding plates. This may startle you and in rare occasions might break the skin. Usually no medical treatment is needed. If you carefully follow your guide's instructions you should not have your fingers in the ray's mouth.

Please treat the rays with respect. NEVER lift a ray out of the water. Stingrays need to keep their gills submerged to breathe properly. Lifting a ray clear of the water is a violation of the Wildlife Interaction Zone regulations. There is now a Marine Enforcement Officer assigned specifically to patrol the Stingray Sandbar area to enforce the various laws and regulations.

We did the snorkel and stingray tour with Moby Dick - lots of families and children ages 6-12 or so. They had vests, fins and masks sized to fit children. The most dangerouls part about feeding the rays is that you may get a "hickey" when the thing sucks the food out of your hand.:eek: The crew was great and a big help - go for it! Good luck!:)

Stingray City and Stingray Sandbar are unique attractions. While there there are other stingray interaction sites in other Caribbean ports, Cayman offers the original interaction with wild Southern Stingrays. The rays in Cayman are not confined to a pen and have not been subjected to having their barbs removed.

Occasionally persons are stung by the barb of a ray. It is a relative handful of the million or so visitors to the stingrays each year. A sting is very painful and requires professional medical attention. The barb may break off in the wound and break into pieces. Stings may cause a ragged wound requiring stitches.

Actually a more common injury from the stingrays is related to the powerful suction generated by a ray's mouth. If the ray's mouth is flush against your skin when it tries to sucks up some food then you may have a large brusie as a souvenir. This is momentarily painful, but the stingray hickey usually heals with no medical treatment at all.

In persons with particularly fragile skin (elderly or those with certain medical conditions) this suction may be powerful enough alone to rip the skin and open a large wound. Efforts to control the bleeding and cleanse the wound may require professional medical care. You can help avoid these types of suction injuries by not rubbing your hands on any body parts after you have been holding the stingray food. The rays can smell this residue and try to suck in food that is not there.

Stingrays do not have teeth. They do have hard grinding plates which are made of cartilage. If you have your fingers in the ray's mouth as it feeds then you may feel the pinch of these grinding plates. This may startle you and in rare occasions might break the skin. Usually no medical treatment is needed. If you carefully follow your guide's instructions you should not have your fingers in the ray's mouth.

Please treat the rays with respect. NEVER lift a ray out of the water. Stingrays need to keep their gills submerged to breathe properly. Lifting a ray clear of the water is a violation of the Wildlife Interaction Zone regulations. There is now a Marine Enforcement Officer assigned specifically to patrol the Stingray Sandbar area to enforce the various laws and regulations.

Thank you for the very detailed information. We are leaning toward booking a catamaran ride to the sting rays because my daughters have been begging to go on a catamaran. I will not force them to get int he water, but this way if they choose not to, they will still really enjoy the catamaran ride.

My mom, sister, and I went last May and had a wonderful time. I can say, my mom was out there chasing them and me and my sister at first was looking at her like she was crazy. We soon loosened up and didnt chase them but didnt mind playing with them either. It was absolutely the best experience ever. Me and my mom and cousin is actually going back in June and me and mom cant wait to go again.

When we went last time, our tour guide said that he had been stung like a week before or something like that but to prove that it was very rare to get stung, he put the tail of the sting ray all the way in his mouth and sucked on it as he pulled it out. :eek: We though he was absolutely nuts but it didnt sting him.

Overall wonderfull experience. As everyone says just shuffle your feet and you should be fine.

If you can do it with your kids, please do!! And don't forget the camera.

I consider it a once in a lifetime experience for my two (10 and 14). It's something they will NEVER forget. My kids are somewhat meek when it comes to new experiences, but we just were very matter of fact about what they could expect and they loved it!!

Son Tim "kissed" the rays for "seven years good luck"

49c.jpg

(We used Moby Dick and they were very professional in their handling of the rays, plus telling us what to do/not to do ahead of time; we learned a lot)

• 4 weeks later...

10. Re: Barracuda fish

Apr 21, 2008, 11:20 AM

One trip to the Florida Keys, I witnessed "barracuda mating season". They all line up along the reef or sea bottom perfectly still with their mouths open. Very cool! Got a little scary when they'd decide to go for a swim. As a pack, they'd begin to circle in their prey...our group of snorkelers! I decided that was enough for me, since I had a silver/gold waterproof watch on my wrist. I like having two hands, so I skedaddled!

On another trip to Grand Cayman, they closed down Stingray City for a few weeks after a woman was bitten by a barracuda.:eek: She was feeding raw squid to the stingrays with a tour group when, as nature would dictate, the hungry cuda struck like a rocket, biting her hand badly. Not the cuda's fault, just a fluke of nature.

So basically, when snorkeling in Coz, or anywhere, if you see a barracuda slowly cruising around checking you out, they will not harm you. They are scavengers looking for weak or injured fish, not people. I've gotten very close on dives & snorkeling with no problems. Just respect the ocean & its residents.

Bye,

SeaBass

Saw this on tripadvisor, never thought about barracuda's! Ouch! Makes stingrays seem like kittens!:D

Archived