Told no downgrade with ES...true?

TexasGLS

Again .. where is it written that a upgrade is free, no fee, but a downgrade is a $50 fee, because you have to cancel and rebook. Why dont they apply that for a upgrade... it says ANY changes... why is a upgrade not a change, but a downgrade is a change.

Interesting that the terms specify the verified rate difference "is issued as an on-board credit". I thought they reduced the total due if before final payment and it was after final payment it is issued as OBC?

yep, people spotted that right away, that they only give you OBC after final payment ... no matter what it says.

G'ma always says the rules are perfectly clear, she cant understand why only she can understand them and people ask questions.

... but she cant show where it says its free to move to another cabin in your same category, thats not a change. Its not a change to upgrade, but its a change to downgrade. ...

She doesnt ever get its not in the rules... I do see how if Carnival is pushed, they could quite allowing any changes .. without the $50 fee. I know Iv changed to a different cabin in the same category, no fee. Why cant I move down one category, how is this different, makes no sense from the rules.

The FAQ spells it out clearly' date=' concisely and in very understandable terms.[/quote']

Neither the FAQ or terms linked here mention anything about a cabin change within a category or cabin category change on the same ship and sailing date with an ES booking. That you can or cannot do it.

If Carnival is going to prevent someone from downgrading it should be clearly stated as such in the terms. Same as it tells us it is allowed to change ship and/or sailing date for a $50/pp penalty.

Interesting that the terms specify the verified rate difference "is issued as an on-board credit". I thought they reduced the total due if before final payment and it was after final payment it is issued as OBC?

As you say, the T & C specifically state that the price drops will be non-refundable OBC. But in practice it looks like they're pretty consistently reducing the Balance Due for drops before Final Payment (which is to our advantage) and issuing OBC only after Final Payment; it's also not clear that the Ship keeps track of the fact that it's non-refundable OBC (which is also to our advantage).

ken

I have to say I was able to downgrade and pay the $50/pp change fee - however threre were two circumstances.

1. We changed ships

2. I had booked a handicap balcony cabin for my mom and aunt. There were none available so they wanted to give me a regular balcony cabin. I said the handicap part was more important than the balcony so they talked to the supervisor and allowed me to downgrade to an inside handicap room.

If you are cancelling and re-booking Early Saver with the $50pp penalty, you're not required to re-book as Early Saver (but if you don't, you lose the ES price protection) or the same Category or the same Cruise/Ship Itinerary. But, IMO you technically cannot re-book the same Cruise/ship/date. ken

Nope...can't downgrade...

Heck, I have even been told I can't upgrade with ES rate...even if I want to pay the difference...

Makes sense doesn't it?

Iv seen like three posts that folks were told they couldnt upgrade, whereas my PVP says you can always upgrade no fee. I asked my PVP why they dont put this in writing... she asked and couldnt get a answer, just was told to advise this when booking.

Iv seen like three posts that folks were told they couldnt upgrade, whereas my PVP says you can always upgrade no fee. I asked my PVP why they dont put this in writing... she asked and couldnt get a answer, just was told to advise this when booking.

It really does not make sense at all that they would not allow you to upgrade, if you are willing to pay the difference...I think it was just the csr I was talking to at that time...sometimes common sense is not all that common.

I imagine what happened is this csr's ES training consisted of her supervisor telling her "with early saver, you can't change anything for the customer"...

Archived