"LIVE" From the Oasis of the Seas / March 6, 2010

Hello everyone, we have arrived in St. Maarten, N.A. We approached the harbor by 5 AM, and we approached the pier by about 530. We actually tied up by a little after 6.They open the gangways at 630AM. . .Wow !

We had a great breakfast up in the Solarium Café today. And I think I will go up there for breakfast for the rest of the cruise. It is quiet and calm, and very relaxing.

We learned something last night at dinner, that I didn’t know. In the MDR, there is 1 galley for each floor of the dining room (3-4-5) I think that is why the food is served so quick, and so hot ! I was invited to a Galley Tour tomorrow, and I will find out more.

Today are plans are the same as yesterday. We will see what we can see, and we might rent a car. I know I will be swimming somewhere. I want to go to Maho beach too. . .

Here are a few pics from this morning . . .

Thanks for tuning in!

Radio

Bring back some pics of the plane landing next to Maho Beach.

I want to see some of the planes landing by Maho Beach too. We haven't had a chance to get there yet. Maybe next time we go to St. Maarten! I so wish I was there now. I just love St. Maarten!

You are doing such a great job! Thanks again soooo very much! :D

I want to see some of the planes landing by Maho Beach too. We haven't had a chance to get there yet. Maybe next time we go to St. Maarten! I so wish I was there now. I just love St. Maarten!

You are doing such a great job! Thanks again soooo very much! :D

We're going to be there on March 31st. I still deciding if we want to take tour or just go to Maho beach on our own.

We're going to be there on March 31st. I still deciding if we want to take tour or just go to Maho beach on our own.

Easy to do it on your own. Just grab a taxi at the port. It's a fun day and don't forget to bring your camera.

Easy to do it on your own. Just grab a taxi at the port. It's a fun day and don't forget to bring your camera.

Is there enough to do at Maho Beach besides the plane spotting? I figure an hour to an hour and a half should be enough time to take in the planes but what else is in that area to fill out the day?

Is there enough to do at Maho Beach besides the plane spotting? I figure an hour to an hour and a half should be enough time to take in the planes but what else is in that area to fill out the day?

I haven't been there yet, but the beach is right beside the landing strip. You do both, beach and picture taking of the planes landing and takeoff all at the same time! We usually go to Orient beach, it is one of my DH favorite beaches!

Thank you everyone for sending me your prayers - Cruise critic members have the biggest hearts and are the kindess people. Got my chemo yesterday for 7 hours and I now have the chemo pump hooked up to me for 46 hours. I go back tomorrow and they take out the pump. I get feed chemo from tues thru thursday so it's alot of chemo. I usually get sick

starting tomorrow.

Radio - We are booking the Explorer on May 8th as well.

Dr spoke to me yesterday and there is no cure for me as I am Stage IV and the chemo is

only extending my life as long as possible and I am only 54. She told me to enjoy my life

and do what I like to do. I told her my only hobby is cruising. So I told my wife then we are cruising every two months until the time comes. She said honey whatever you want to do we will do. So as long as I handle my chemo well on my off week from chemo I am cruising alot. If I am going to check out I am going to enjoy every minute and a ship is for me. So Radio I hope to meet you on the May 8th cruise. I am a Diamond Member so I will be in the CLUB.

Thanks again for your time. Enjoy the rest of the cruise.

Dave

pittnet..i've been to maho a few times and we usually get off the ship a bit later and get to maho by noon. there used to be THE SUNSET BAR AND GRILL right there and we'd get lunch and watch the planes land from there. the big jets land in the afternoon around 2:00-3:00

radio....you have continued to amaze. could you comment on a "complaint" that i've read from previous oasis cruisers? apparently of all the ships in rc fleet...this class of ship has the fewest areas that look out to the sea. radience class having the most.

Radio, thanks for the gorgeous pics. We get on the ship this SATURDAY.

What particularly are you liking about the Solarium Bistro food. What do they have available for Breakfast and lunch? Can you make pics of the food they have available?

I'm hoping to eat my breakfast and lunch up there!

Radio,

Thanks for sharing all the wonderful photos of the Oasis and the islands so far. We are sailing on Oasis for Thanksgiving this year to celebrate my DD's 18th birthday. We have a central park balcony cabin and from the photos, they look wonderful. Have a great time, enjoy and be safe.

Anne;)

cruzship21 - All our best to you. Enjoy every heartbeat to the fullest! So impressive to see that your disease can never take your strong spirit. I'm humbled.

Radio - I echo the sentiments of "Great pics!" You've convinced me to take my laptop on our Apr 24th sailing and do the same. We have a 4 yr old, and I'd love to document the children's experience as well for others who have questions about it.

I'm a web and e-learning designer, so I'm stocked with all my graphic programs, but my question for you is about the internet access. How much is it, and are you doing it through the ship? I remember a mention earlier, I think by you, about buying some web access separately. Can you give some details about that?

THANKS for making me drool like Pavlov's dog looking at my cruising future, it just can't get here fast enough!!!!

cruzship21 - All our best to you. Enjoy every heartbeat to the fullest! So impressive to see that your disease can never take your strong spirit. I'm humbled.

Radio - I echo the sentiments of "Great pics!" You've convinced me to take my laptop on our Apr 24th sailing and do the same. We have a 4 yr old, and I'd love to document the children's experience as well for others who have questions about it.

I'm a web and e-learning designer, so I'm stocked with all my graphic programs, but my question for you is about the internet access. How much is it, and are you doing it through the ship? I remember a mention earlier, I think by you, about buying some web access separately. Can you give some details about that?

THANKS for making me drool like Pavlov's dog looking at my cruising future, it just can't get here fast enough!!!!

Ship's best package is $ 55, or 37 cents per minute.

If you get discount coupon, it cannot be applied towards the $ 55, but have to be spent first separately.

Hi - We're on that cruise and computer geeks too. Documenting the cruise from the perspective of the kids experience sounds great. Can't wait to see what you do and help if needed.

Look forward to your report. We have a five year old and are considering Oasis or Allure next year.

Thank you everyone for sending me your prayers - Cruise critic members have the biggest hearts and are the kindess people. Got my chemo yesterday for 7 hours and I now have the chemo pump hooked up to me for 46 hours. I go back tomorrow and they take out the pump. I get feed chemo from tues thru thursday so it's alot of chemo. I usually get sick

starting tomorrow.

Dr spoke to me yesterday and there is no cure for me as I am Stage IV and the chemo is

only extending my life as long as possible and I am only 54. She told me to enjoy my life

and do what I like to do. I told her my only hobby is cruising. So I told my wife then we are cruising every two months until the time comes. She said honey whatever you want to do we will do. So as long as I handle my chemo well on my off week from chemo I am cruising alot. If I am going to check out I am going to enjoy every minute and a ship is for me. So Radio I hope to meet you on the May 8th cruise. I am a Diamond Member so I will be in the CLUB.

Dave

Thoughts and prayers to you. I hope you can enjoy some continued cruising and you never know...there are new cures all the time. Maybe you will be the one to beat those odds.

starting tomorrow.

Dave

Dave, I have to tell you that I was reading everyone's post about their upcoming cruises, and I was thinking about mine own, which will be on the Liberty in 10 days or so. We will be on the Oasis Sept 11, 2010. Along with everyone else, I was wishing it was my time to set sail on this magnificent ship. Then I read your post. Bam.... It really puts things in perspective. Please, everybody, I am enjoying Radios pictures, and his thoughts as well, but I am not going to wish for September quite as hard as I was. I am going to enjoy today, and hope for tomorrow.

I noticed there were a few posters here surviving with cancer. My heart and prayers are with them. My daughter and I are in Boston working on cancer trials. I see the progress being made. I hope someday we can get rid of this horrible disease.

Stay strong, and Dave, enjoy every day at home and at sea!

Love,

Christine

cruzship21-Dave my husband is now stage4 kidney cancer. He is off chemo because it isn't working. He is using Hackensack Hospital right now, since you are near are you going there? We are in Secaucus every Tuesday evening at the Vet Center. I will now think of you. I do hope we will get to sail with you soon because that is our plan also.

Radio I love watching your cruise. Thank you so much for making a day brigher with all your reports and pictures.

Barbara

My best to both of you. I was diagnosed with breast cancer almost 2 years ago. After surgery, radiation and chemo, I'm back cruising again, and have been for a while. Try to keep a positive outlook, and keep reading Cruise Critic - it helps! I think, sometimes, it's just nice to know you're not the only one.

And, Radio, thanks so much for this thread. I (ALMOST) feel like I'm there!

Cathy, thank you for your warm wishes. I am so glad that you are through it and doing well. You are right, it is comforting to know of others that have been through it and are doing well.

I know Radio is out enjoying St. Maarten, but for crying out loud..........we are all sitting here hitting the refresh button waiting for more pictures. ;)

Radio, I hope you are enjoying a beautiful day on St Maarten.

David, I will be praying for you to stay feeling good enough to enjoy many many more cruises. Hang in there.

Hello everyone . . .

Today we left the ship at about 9:00 AM, and walked around the port area a little to see what was going on.

I was trying to see if I could get a rental car, because I heard there were some around the port area.

We ended up getting a rent a car from Cowpet Car Rental. I read some good reviews about Cowpet on Cruise Critic.

It turns out that no one had rental cars except for them. They were very friendly, and the reviews I read were right on ! We hopped in the car and it begins to rain, and rain. . . This was not good, so we drove over to the Havensight Mall area (where Oasis will be docked later this year), and do some shopping.

We were able to buy a few gifts, and I was able to purchase a watch for Mrs. Radio. The shops at Havensight were packed due to Carnival Liberty and the Norwegian Pearl being in port today.

We always go to Paradise Point while in St. Thomas so we decided to take the short drive up the hill. I was surprise to find that cruise passengers are not allowed to Paradise Point unless they ride the tram up and back. ($21PP). We then drove around St. Thomas enjoying the scenery on our way to Mountain Top. We found out that Mountain Top was burned down last year and is now closed. Hopefully it will be reopen soon.

We then drove over to Best Western Emerald Resort (Near Crown Bay), and there were several hundred Cruise Ship Passengers enjoying the beach.(at this time, the rain turned into a drizzle)

I wanted to check out Lindbergh Bay Beach ,(next door), and it was a calm beach with no vendors.

We got back to the ship, and the New Security procedure works out well. They had 10 X-Ray machine processing all passengers as they came back to the ship.

We made back with no worries, and we sat out on the Balcony, and the sun was blazing ! Oooops ! I could have stayed out a little longer. No worries though, tomorrow we will be in St Maarten from 730AM - 4PM.

Here are a few pics from today. . . I will try to get some more posted later tonight.

Thanks for tuning in.

Radio

We are able to see Oasis (and SeaDream II) from across the bay

T11.JPG

It is so amazing the difference in size between the 2 ships. It took me a few seconds to even locate the SeaDream!!!! Amazing!!!!

starting tomorrow.

Dave

Blessings and good wishes to you and your wife, Dave. Now....just get out there!!!

Archived