Something Good about the Destiny

got2gocruzn

Hi All

We have booked the Destiny for April 2011 for my sons wedding.

We are inviting nearly 80 guest!!!:eek:

Most have ever cruised before.

I'm feeling a little uneasy about all the bad comments about the ship staff and food.

Can someone put me at ease?? How is the ship? really??

Hi All

I'm feeling a little uneasy about all the bad comments about the ship staff and food.

I think its foolish to do a wedding that requires 80 guests.I storm,power outage never mind the ship itself that has had this problem more than once.

Did they really fix it? Or did they do a repair?

Be cautious

Steve

Well, Thank You for your Honest opinion. Steveaaaaa.

The Happy Couple will be visiting a Justice of the Peace here in Canada before we leave to ensure there are no Legal issues with the marriage.

If it makes better sense to you, let’s call it a large Family Reunion Cruise as the bride is well aware of the issues that can arise from weather and missed ports etc.

(She is really Amazing) As we are the most veteran cruisers on the guest list and really organizing the whole affair, I was hoping that the ship, staff and food was in good order. We have always talked about how much we enjoy cruising and were really hoping for an exceptional experience for our guests.

I have no doubts that you'll have a SUPER time aboard "Destiny". She's a fine ship, and her mechanical problems are repaired. Everyone I've talked to who has sailed "Destiny" lately, has reinforced my opinion that you have no worries. Family reunion cruises aboard cruise ships is a truly wonderful way to do it! Congratulations to the happy couple!

"SKY"

I have been on the Destiny 2 times in the last 4 months and totally enjoyed both cruises. The last cruise was right after dry-dock and everything seemed to be fine, however a trip to the Bahamas in not a challenge for any ship. I have read reports that the ship has been running fine, so one would have to assume that it has been properly repaired.

The food,was much better on the second cruise, along with the service. Maybe the crew got the little break they needed while the ship was in dry-dock.

I had reservations about booking the Destiny for my first cruise on her, but that cruise turned out to be one of the most fun to date. The staff is great, they really seem to try hard to make sure you have a great time while cruising on her.

If you are planning on having the wedding while in the port of Miami, you should be fine, but remember, no matter what ship you are on, no destination port is guaranteed, so have a "B" plan so not to spoil the big day. (if the wedding is planned for an island)

Happy sailing and congrats on your son getting married.

Although the Destiny was not my favorite ship, it did have my favorite crew. The My Time Dining team was the best. They went above and beyond to make sure everything was perfect. The maitre'd in that dining room personally delivered me dinner to my room one night when I was not feeling well. Excellent service! My room steward was also excellent. Always asking me if I needed anything.

My then 10 year old still says it was her best cruise. She said the crew in charge of the kids club was the best.

You will all have a great time.

My husband and I will sail on the Destiny on April 15th! Maybe our paths will cross?!?

I was freaking about all of the negative reviews until the other day when I realized just how lucky I am to even be able to take a vacation this year, not to mention a CRUISE vacation! I know that this cruise will be what I make of it and really, what’s the worst that can happen? If I smell poop, as one reviewer said, I'll just walk my little legs to a nicer smelling spot on the ship. If Destiny can't pull into even one single port because of her propulsion issues, I'll make my own fun on the ship. If a staff member is rude to me when I've been kind to him/her, I'll assume he/she is having a bad day and hope it gets better. If I run into drunks, I'll join them. If I eat an untasty chicken finger on the Lido deck, I'll fill up on dessert. I think you catch my drift.

Your cruise is going to be amazing. You've got so much to celebrate - just be thankful and enjoy!

Thanks for all the the Good Wishes.

Wedding is planned for Key West with WeddingsToGo.com.

Then we are off to Cozumel.

8 Attendants :)

How's the weather in the Keys around the end of April??

Not Rainy Season yet?

This year I realize it has been chilly but to a Canadian 65 in April is down right Balmy :D

Thanks for all the the Good Wishes.

Wedding is planned for Key West with WeddingsToGo.com.

Then we are off to Cozumel.

8 Attendants :)

How's the weather in the Keys around the end of April??

Not Rainy Season yet?

This year I realize it has been chilly but to a Canadian 65 in April is down right Balmy :D

So you are doing the 4-day with stops in Key West and Coz? We will be on that cruise this April. I always post a review, so stay tuned!

We went to Key West and Coz last April on our cruise, too. Key West was HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOLY CRAP IT WAS HOT. I was slathering sunscreen on myself, because I felt like my skin was on fire.

Our son is also getting married on the Destiny in June. We are having 20 guest and like yourself we are concerned. Most of our guest are 1st time cruisers. We have cruised several times. We are going to let everyone know that we have to make the best of it. Any cruise is better than being at work. Please post a review of the wedding and cruise so we will know how it was. Good Luck and Congratulation!!

Just got off the Destiny yesterday, my 5th cruise in 2.5 years, my first with Carnival.

I think you should just put aside the "bad comments." Everyone finds something wrong. My worst Destiny related experience? The idiot who cut in front of me in line at the Miami Airport.

One other "bad thing", as my mom (her second cruise) was using her Sign and Sail card to get back on the ship the first port we went to, she just put it in and let it go. The Security guy said "Now I have to take the machine apart to get it." I don't think he was really mad, serious (although he did have to take it apart...but that only took fifteen seconds". My mom, however, felt horrible. I am pretty sure he was kidding her, but she took it seriiously.

The food was fantastic in the dining room. I wasn't thrilled with the buffet because I think they could do it so the lines weren't so long, and I missed the glorius food carvings that RCCL had. (This was my first Carnival cruise.) The shows were OK, but entertaining. What I really went on the cruise for was the balcony and the ocean...I literally spent HOURS there. We really loved the room service. We would order and have our lunch in our room. It was lovely.

There was a wedding in progress when we first boarded and it looked lovely. How special that a couple would choose this type of venue for their guests. Much better than the cliche' beach weddings I see.

The staff was super. The ship is wonderful. If you want to find problems, you probably will. I think it is well worth the money, well worth the time and would worry about anything else.

The seas were very rough, not the ships' fault but because we were apparently passing through a cold front/ Was glad we had a balcony. It was also fun walking down the halls. Gave us the feeling we were on a carnival ride at times...wait....we were!!!

Enjoy your trip. Let the people who like to be critical, be critical. I pay more attention to costs, ports than anything else. My opinion....if I don't have to clean, don't have to cook, don't have to drive.....then what is there to worry about.

We got off the Destiny one month ago. We loved it. We only did the dining room once, and LOVED the buffet much more. We loved the balcony too. We had a little rough seas about 1/2 day out of 6 - bad enough that the bathroom door opened and closed by itself. I was fine on the boat, but for a week after I got home, the ground moved.

I am addicted to crusing now. Not so much the entertainment or even the atmosphere of the boat - just the wonderful ability to watch the world change from my balcony and visit exotic places. And the food........I''m not a picky eater at all, but I was still blown away. Really nice.

Well, Thank You for your Honest opinion. Steveaaaaa.

The Happy Couple will be visiting a Justice of the Peace here in Canada before we leave to ensure there are no Legal issues with the marriage.

If it makes better sense to you, let’s call it a large Family Reunion Cruise as the bride is well aware of the issues that can arise from weather and missed ports etc.

(She is really Amazing) As we are the most veteran cruisers on the guest list and really organizing the whole affair, I was hoping that the ship, staff and food was in good order. We have always talked about how much we enjoy cruising and were really hoping for an exceptional experience for our guests.

OK, thats better.I thought the wedding was on the ship.:eek::o

I have sailed it twice and had no issues but I would not chance a wedding but a family gathering,I would hope a few did not make it.:D

Steve

My daughter, sister-in-law and myself just sailed on the Destiny from Feb. 22-27th. I was a little nervouse because i was worried that Destiny wasn't going to come out of dry dock in time for our cruise! It did and it was awesome!! I was so happy because the reason for the cruise was because my sister-in-law hadn't cruised before and her husband(my brother) had no interest in cruising, so we started planning this cruise over a year ago. She loved it!! Everyone on the Destiny were great and the food was wonderful !! The shows were also.There are certain people that find fault with everything or they are not happy!! My daughter got married four years ago on the Carnival Victory in Miami and cruised for her honeymoon! They really do treat you right when they know you just got married. Enjoy the wedding and the Destiny!!

I had a great time when I sailed on the Destiny last October and have another cruise booked on her in less than 2 weeks. The crew was fantastic and you will be able to make the cruise what you want... Your group is large enough that you are going to be able to create your own fun!

Enjoy! And don't worry!

Hi All

We just returned last night from 12 nights on her had a wonderful time! :) She is sailing smoothly. One night they even had her up above 20 knots most folks thought it was rough but the seas were a bit rough and for going that fast we though it was a smooth ride. And yes we have been on much worse seas. :p Her crew is one of the best we've had on any sailing. The food is very good we enjoyed the MDR for dinner and loved the deli at lunch. Since your a year out yet don't get stressed out with everything you read as I've found the complainers have a much louder voice than the happy folks! :D And well to be honest 1st time cruisers usually don't realize there's anything to complain about unless they are very-very picky. We met a number of 1st timers on her and they all truly enjoyed their Cruise and were planning the next one. I'm thinking that Anne at Cheers the Wine and Martini Bar will still be on her at your sailing. She is wonderful! (she gets off in May for her break but is due to return for another contract) The bar is small but she loves groups and it very good at mixing the perfect Martini and also knows her wines. Don't stress it will all be fine just remember you can't keep everyone happy and they did agree to go! ;)

Was on the Destiny in Jan when they cancelled Grand Turks, and had the propulsion problems but the awesome crew, food, entertainment etc.. made up for that. Would book again in a minute, you'll love it. The ship is great !!:D

Our son is also getting married on the Destiny in June. We are having 20 guest and like yourself we are concerned. Most of our guest are 1st time cruisers. We have cruised several times. We are going to let everyone know that we have to make the best of it. Any cruise is better than being at work. Please post a review of the wedding and cruise so we will know how it was. Good Luck and Congratulation!!

Hi

Congratulations to your Family on the upcoming marriage of your son.

Are they being married on the ship or in a port?

Would love to keep in contact and compare notes!!;)

email wcjohnston@brktel.on.ca

Colleen

Was on the Destiny in Jan when they cancelled Grand Turks, and had the propulsion problems but the awesome crew, food, entertainment etc.. made up for that. Would book again in a minute, you'll love it. The ship is great !!:D

talk about a great recommendation! :)

OP curious, did u book the Destiny before or after reading the reviews?

we're scheduled to enjoy her in June (woo-hoo) must admit i had some 2nd thoughts until the repairs were made. Im confident enough that all will be ship-shape that i recently switched res to ES.

jmho though, if worrying about repeat issues will keep u awake nights-she is an older ship & all; i'd consider booking another sailing;) weddings are stressful stuff, enjoy!

That is definitely the best attitude to have ... can you really have a BAD time on a cruise??? Only if you choose to make it a bad time!

We will be sailing on the Destiny for Labor Day weekend 2010. Our fifth Labor Day weekend cruise with family and friends. We have over 50 people joining us this year - we WILL have a great time and look forward to spending it on the refurbished Destiny.

Carrie

That is definitely the best attitude to have ... can you really have a BAD time on a cruise??? Only if you choose to make it a bad time!

Carrie

I think so. It depends on what someone is taking the cruise for.If you are going for transportation to different ports and the ports got cancelled,that would be a bad time to me.There is nothing else that appeals to me as I have seen all the shows more than once and everything else I have at home.If it weren't for credit card points,I wouldn't go at all this year.

Steve

Archived