Help with cabin on Sapphire Princess

ronandot

Brand new to the boards and looking to take a last minute 20th anniversary cruise on the Sapphire Princess sailing April 24th. There are so many options for rooms and I was hoping to get some advice as there seems to be a lot of “insider” information here. I realize that much is a personal opinion. I was thinking that we would splurge for a mini since it is a special occasion but then realized that some balconies are more expensive than the suites???? Right now, I am holding an AE that I am told is a twin only configuration by my Princess rep although the online cruise sites all say twin that converts to Queen. Not sure how that would work out. My Princess rep says there are only 4 (or 8) AE minis on the ship and all are assigned meaning that my guaranteed AE should get upgraded. There is also an option to pay more and pick a specific location. Just wondering if anyone could provide some insight as the best way to go. Would love a VS suite but we can’t justify the price difference. However, we will spend more time in cabin than we did on Disney with the kids a few years back….at least I hope so:D Thanks in advance!!!!

On the Sapphire, there are only two AE rooms. They are the last on Dolphin deck on each side. The beds DO NOT convert to a queen without significantly blocking the doorway to the sitting area and balcony. Also, the bathroom is handicapped design, no tub, drains around the edge that tend to flood the entire bathroom area.

If they are both booked, then yes, booking an AE guarantee is likely to get you an upgrade to a different mini-suite on Dolphin deck.

Full suites are far different than mini-suites. Full suites also come with more amenities. Minis are not much more than balcony cabins with a larger bathroom & tub plus the sofa/sitting area.

At this late date, I would book the guarantee and go with that. AD's are also listed only as guarantees, but not yet waitlisted. You might be pleasantly surprised at your assignment.

Definitely stay away from the AE's on the Sapphire, as stated above the beds sit on each side of the walkway. The balcony area is a bit larger, but that is the only positive attribute, unless of course you, or someone you are traveling with needs its features.

Thanks for the tips....actually was able to get the booking extended until Monday so who knows. Had a booking on the Crown since we couldn't decide and had an upgrade e-mail in a couple of hours. Probably not the norm and spoiled me but good:)

On the Sapphire, there are only two AE rooms. They are the last on Dolphin deck on each side. The beds DO NOT convert to a queen without significantly blocking the doorway to the sitting area and balcony. Also, the bathroom is handicapped design, no tub, drains around the edge that tend to flood the entire bathroom area.

If they are both booked, then yes, booking an AE guarantee is likely to get you an upgrade to a different mini-suite on Dolphin deck.

Full suites are far different than mini-suites. Full suites also come with more amenities. Minis are not much more than balcony cabins with a larger bathroom & tub plus the sofa/sitting area.

At this late date, I would book the guarantee and go with that. AD's are also listed only as guarantees, but not yet waitlisted. You might be pleasantly surprised at your assignment.

I'm on the May 1 sailing, and I too have a mini-suite guarantee... I am still waiting for my cabin assignment... My husband would hate the separate beds, so I am waiting with bated breath... I also understand that we may not get a cabin assignment anywhere from now, to a few days before the sailing, or even at the pier...

Makes for a very long wait! :(

Thanks for the tips....actually was able to get the booking extended until Monday so who knows. Had a booking on the Crown since we couldn't decide and had an upgrade e-mail in a couple of hours. Probably not the norm and spoiled me but good:)

The 12 AD mini's on Emerald deck are the best IMO they are private and have fully covered balconies.

Brand new to the boards and looking to take a last minute 20th anniversary cruise on the Sapphire Princess sailing April 24th. There are so many options for rooms and I was hoping to get some advice as there seems to be a lot of “insider” information here. I realize that much is a personal opinion. I was thinking that we would splurge for a mini since it is a special occasion but then realized that some balconies are more expensive than the suites???? Right now, I am holding an AE that I am told is a twin only configuration by my Princess rep although the online cruise sites all say twin that converts to Queen. Not sure how that would work out. My Princess rep says there are only 4 (or 8) AE minis on the ship and all are assigned meaning that my guaranteed AE should get upgraded. There is also an option to pay more and pick a specific location. Just wondering if anyone could provide some insight as the best way to go. Would love a VS suite but we can’t justify the price difference. However, we will spend more time in cabin than we did on Disney with the kids a few years back….at least I hope so:D Thanks in advance!!!!

Looking at availability for your cruise, I don't see what you're saying. There are now no balcony cabins that are more expensive than a mini-suite and the cheapest mini is more expensive than any regular balcony. The only mini-suite categories where you can pick a specific cabin are AC and AB. AE and AD are Guarantee only. I don't know what price you've already got for the AE Guarantee, but it looks like for $20pp more you can get an AD Guarantee and be assured you don't stuck in a twin bed only AE cabin. For $40pp over the AE, you could pick your own specific AC cabin and for $60pp over the AE, you could get a specific AB cabin. It all depends on if having a specific "desireable" location (i.e. more mid-ship) is important to you. If it is, I'd personally spring for the extra cost and get a location you're happy with. When you look at the big picture, the extra cost isn't that much, especially if you consider it on a per night basis. If the exact location isn't that important to you, I'd recommend going for the AD guarantee and hope to end up in an Ac or AB cabin. Good luck and enjoy the cruise. We did the same cruise at the end of January in an AD guarantee and didn't get a visit from the upgrade fairy, but we enjoyed our time in D732 nevertheless!!

Hi Paul....you are correct. I was referring to some balcony categories that were actually more expensive than the AE mini. Wasn't really looking at specific availability. Will revisit on Monday and make a decision. Any idea who might have the best rates? I am finding that cost varies for these cruises. If this type question is not allowed, please ignore. Thanks!!!!!

Archived