New York City on the 4th of July?

mickym

You could try a pre-cruise cruise :)

A few places offer 4th of July fireworks cruises [did a quick search and found Spirit cruises and NY Waterways]

Unfortunately, my first choice for a 4th of july NY event [minor league baseball] is not available. The Brooklyn Cyclones are away for the 4th this year. [We'll be at a more local minor league game with the LI Ducks]

I looked up the cruises and they look great but since we will be landing at 5:00pm and then checking in at our motel to get rid of our luggage I don't think there is any way we can make any of the cruises in time?? What would be our best option for getting someplace good to watch the fireworks? This is something I was really excited about but so unfamiliar with NYC and just don't know the best way to go about this.

What airport are you landing at? Where is your "motel"? Motel sounds like you may not be staying in Manhattan. Fireworks don't start until dark - about 9 pm. IMO cab is not an option on July 4th because of the traffic and street closings. I've done the subway on July 4th - lots of people and a real party atmosphere - and felt very safe doing it.

We are flying in to LGA and will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express, Jamaica,NY which is near JFK that we will be flying out of the next evening. Will we have trouble getting from LGA to our hotel by taxi? Then the question, for someone who would have trouble navigating NYC on a normal day, is what is the best and least complicated method of getting from the Holiday Inn to a good viewing site for the fire works and back. Thank you so much for your help! I definitely need it!!

Archived