change of flight numbers/times???

MamaParrotHead

we're flying delta to and from miami for our cruise in may (bought tickets direct from delta online). i've been checking back on delta online periodically just to check on the status of the fares and noticed that on our return trip, 2/4 flights have been changed (both flight numbers and times). it's been nothing *major* so far, *knock on wood*, but I have a few questions about this.

first of all, aren't they required to inform you of this at all? I found it odd that I wouldn't have known they were changed if I hadn't been looking.

#2--how close to the actual date of flying can they keep changing the flight times/numbers? we searched and searched for a 1:15 flight out of miami after our cruise and I'd freak if they changed it to an earlier flight, ESPECIALLY if they do it while we're at sea.

#3--is there any kind of time frame they have to stick to (not changing it more than 10-20 minutes one way or the other)?

1. You can sign up on the Delta website to be notified of changes, usually via email or phone.

2. Airlines can change planes, flight numbers, and times at will. You must check frequently. Use your cell the minute you get into port for disembarkation. There should be a number on the Delta website that you can call to hear a recorded message of flight changes, departures, and arrivals.

3. NO

I would assume if you booked directly with Delta, they will be informing you..However, you can call them also. Our flights next month have changed 3 times on United with no notification to me. I have been calling every so often to check. We did have one change that would have disrupted our plans but I called and they very nicely changed my flight for me. I would call and continue to check as the airlines are constantly doing this. If you find they have changed your times that disrupt your plans then call them. Most airlines will make a change for you...

I've had this happen a couple of times on me, all with Continental. Luckily the changes were done far enough in advance that I was able to deal. A couple times they've made tweaks to the time, making departure only a few minutes earlier (i.e 5:50 rather than 5:55). This is not a big deal in my opinion.

However, once they cancelled a flight that I had booked entirely and never contacted me about it. I only noticed it when I checked in a few weeks before the flight. I asked them why they didn't contact me (they had 2 phone numbers, an e-mail, and a snail-mail address) and all I basically got from them was a blank stare.

So moral of the story, trust the airlines at your own expense. As the saying goes, trust but verify.

I would assume if you booked directly with Delta, they will be informing you.....

Airlines do not automatically inform you of flight changes. Most airlines have a way to sign up on their website for flight notifications. Per my previous post, you can usually arrange either phone or email notifications. I prefer email, as you can never verify a phone call if you are not available to take it. If you have a problem with the flight, a hard copy email can be a lifesaver. Please do not assume that you will be notified about changes. You most likely will NOT, unless you are an elite level flyer. It is up to the pax to find out the proper flight time, gate, etc.

We purchase tickets last year on American leaving at 6:45 going down to Orlando and at noon returning.

Checking on American website a few months later (bought the tickets in May and did not need them till Feb). Noitice that those flight numbers no longer existed. We were now booked on a flight that left around 7:30 and had seat assignments, however our return flight was change until 2:30 and only my husband had a assigned seat, my seat was pending....which meant (i later learned) that they were overbooked and did not have a "seat" for me on the plane. When we arrived at the airport only my husband, who had an assigned seat luggage was allowed to be taken>>>(lucky for us we were traveling with only 2 pieces of luggage, so he claimed both pieces were his. Finally around 20 minutes before flight time, they finally gave me a seat in first class and upgraded my dh so he could sit with me.

Archived