How is RCI for Teens?

Kidsx5

My kids are now 14 & 19 and their favorite cruise line is RCI. We started with Carnival but once they got to the 12-13 age it didn't fit for them very well. We tried RCI and have never gone back.

If you want a lot of activities I would suggest either a Voyager or Freedom class ship (maybe even Oasis but haven't done that one yet myself so can't say). My 14 year old DS most favorite trip was on Freedom.

One word of warning, sometimes the activities in the schedule don't always go on as planned. My kids are fine with this, they use the club more as a meeting spot and participate when they want to. We usually have a tough time getting them away from their friends and activities so it can't be too bad :D.

How are the programs on Royal Carribean for the 12-14 age group?

Our 13 year old daughter that it was great. They had plenty of things scheduled for the kids, but were flexible enough to adapt.

The key thing is to be sure that they go to the events the first night. The counselors go to great lengths the first night to make sure the kids meet and get to know each other. The also when they begin to form groups of friends that they will hang around with for the week.

With kids that age, it is not so much the kids programming itself as it is the ability for the counselors to get the kids to interact and meet each other. Our 14YO DD just needs to meet a few girls her age and she is set. If the program doesn't intice kids to the teen area the first day or so, and if the counselors don't encourage the kids to hang around for a bit so that they have the opportunity to meet other kids -- the kids won't like the program.

Generally the RCCI cruises we've been on since DD 'aged out' of AO, have been good. We tried one Princess and one X -- and on both, only because DD independently met some kids, did she have fun. She and the other kids all pretty much said the same thing on those cruises -- the teen programming was 'lame' or 'sucked' :D

As others have suggested, cruise at times when other kids your kids age are likely to sail and encourage the kids to participate.

Last month we were on Royal and my 13 yo son had a wonderful time! He did some of the activities. there were a group of kids who hung out together the entire cruise. They attended quite a few activities. Had a lot of fun things for them to do. My son had so much fun. Curfew for the kids on the ship is 1am unless with an adult. To my suprise, my son was out that late most nights. They had activities many nights until midnight--slide opened just for kids, contests, free hour in the arcade etc. (:)BTW--please spare the comments on my son being allowed to stay out to 1am. Thanks,)

I was very impressed with the program.

Archived