guys dress code

mrdrdoso

But you will note that the OP clearly stated in the very beginning that they did NOT want the written policy posted.

My comment was directed more at OTHER posters in this thread than the OP. I chose not to name names or quote specific people because I simply wanted to make my point without directly picking a fight.

Green ones?
LOL!:D

I see a couple different solutations:

a. Don't take him! But then you daughter will not be happy

b. Explain to him that at least a golf/polo shirt is required for dinner

by the cruise line and yourself. (IF that is the case)

c. Don't worry about it! If he is asked to leave the dining room, 1. borrow one of Dads shirts, 2. eat in a different dining room, or 3. buy a golf shirt in the ship store.

d. MAYBE your daughter could buy him a couple pairs of pants and golf shirts FROM HER;) for "the cruise" telling him it will make "UGH My Mom and Dad Happy". There by making me (gf) happy! and a better cruise for everyone. I don't think (could be wrong) that he is AGAINST wearing the clothes just doesnt have them or wants gf's parents to buy them?!

I can understand him NOT wanting you to buy him clothes. He is probably embarassed enough already that he or his parents can't afford to pay for the cruise. But even a couple weeks working at McDonalds would cover the cost of a pair of pants and couple golf shirts plus some spend money for on the cruise.

Apparently NCL has changed their policy. My welcome aboard booklet for an April cruise on the Jewel says that nice jeans are acceptable for men and women any time, anywhere on the ship.

This has been in effect for a while now, and by that I mean at least more than a year.

This statement is the epitomy of "the rules don't apply to me".

There is a time and place for just about everything, and the MDR for dinner is the time and place for long pants or jeans. As a grown man, you should have an understanding for appropriate attire. The amount of money one has does not exempt them from certain things.

Rules do apply to me... Read the dress policy fro NCL... I bleieve my jeans fall into the allowed category.

The last, polite response from the thread starter had me almost ready to apologize. But soft. They are NOT new here, with 4 to 5 posts a week for over a year. By then, one would have thought they would pretty well anticipate the reaction to any thread which begins "don't tell me what the rules are".

As the thread evolved, we see a variation on "the rules don't apply to me". It is because they are such NICE people (and I am not being sarcastic either...taking someone on a cruise is a very wonderful thing to do). I suspect they were looking for the answer they got almost at once:

"He will be fine... Dont worry about it. I have even wore shorts"

although the last bit may have given them pause for a second.

Point is, this 'advice' came from someone who admittedly has never set foot on an NCL cruise, and who further explains to us that HE is on vacation, [unlike the rest of the ship's passengers, whom, one must assume, are either working or under some sort of court ordered bussing or somesuch.

The not-so evil Scotsman has outlined a pretty darn good bunch of suggestions, and if the OP has not quit reading here, I hope they will take a look. I also hope that they will consider the possible psychological repercussions [to both kids actually] from having boyfriend denied entrance to a meal, or worse yet, admitted only to be the subject of stares, glares and muttered opinions of his attire. Sometimes honesty is the greatest kindness.

In any event, hope it works out.

"He will be fine... Dont worry about it. I have even wore shorts"

although the last bit may have given them pause for a second.

Point is, this 'advice' came from someone who admittedly has never set foot on an NCL cruise, and who further explains to us that HE is on vacation, [unlike the rest of the ship's passengers, whom, one must assume, are either working or under some sort of court ordered bussing or somesuch.

In any event, hope it works out.

I understand everyone is on vacation.... That is why I stated they can feel free to dress up.... It doesnt bother me... I f they want to wear a tux to the pool that is fine.. If they want to wear a tux to dinner or to the buffet then fine.... It is their vacation they can do what they want... Just dont frown on me because it is also my vacation and I like to wear jeans to dinner....

No I have not been on NCL yet (until June 26th) but I have been on Carnival and RCl about 15 times... I have been told NCL is far more relaxed and casual.

My point was this.... It is vacation. A cruise is what you make of it. If he wears jeans to dinner then fine... Life goes on. He will not be out of place as half the people in the MDR will be wearing jeans....

Have a great cruise and dont worry about it...

[unlike the rest of the ship's passengers, whom, one must assume, are either working or under some sort of court ordered bussing or somesuch.

What do I gotta do to get one them thar court orders? ;)

I understand everyone is on vacation.... That is why I stated they can feel free to dress up.... It doesnt bother me... I f they want to wear a tux to the pool that is fine.. If they want to wear a tux to dinner or to the buffet then fine.... It is their vacation they can do what they want... Just dont frown on me because it is also my vacation and I like to wear jeans to dinner....

No I have not been on NCL yet (until June 26th) but I have been on Carnival and RCl about 15 times... I have been told NCL is far more relaxed and casual.

My point was this.... It is vacation. A cruise is what you make of it. If he wears jeans to dinner then fine... Life goes on. He will not be out of place as half the people in the MDR will be wearing jeans....

Have a great cruise and dont worry about it...

Jeans aren't the issue, and haven't been for most people on this thread. They are allowed on NCL and some other lines in the MDR for dinner. However, you were the one who brought shorts into the mix and haven't even set foot on NCL yet. While it is a vacation for the passengers (obviously not the crew), there is still a dress code minimum on most lines and for NCL shorts in the MDR for dinner falls under the minimum.

Jeans aren't the issue, and haven't been for most people on this thread. They are allowed on NCL and some other lines in the MDR for dinner. However, you were the one who brought shorts into the mix and haven't even set foot on NCL yet. While it is a vacation for the passengers (obviously not the crew), there is still a dress code minimum on most lines and for NCL shorts in the MDR for dinner falls under the minimum.

For shorts, it seems to depend on the ship. I saw the Dailies for the Sky and shorts are allowed at dinner in one of the two main dining rooms. I guess the policy varies from ship to ship. It would be nice if NCL posted the official policy for each ship on the web site so that people can know what is required when they book, rather than having to depend on newsgroups. I am so glad I have found CC to get my answers, but so many other people don't have that.

My son and hubby are happy about this. I on the other hand am glad jeans are allowed since I am always cold at dinner. :)

Here take a look at this thread.... hmmmm...

Sounds like exactly what i have been saying....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1160845

• 2 weeks later...
Here take a look at this thread.... hmmmm...

Sounds like exactly what i have been saying....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1160845

Since I just disembarked yesterday, I thought I'd let you know that I personally saw people turned away wearing shorts. My personal observation - not hearsay.

Last week on the STAR, I saw men wearing shorts (nice dress shorts) turned away from the dining rooms at night. Jeans were allowed.

To the OP....I believe a young man in clean jeans and a clean t-shirt (no advertising or profanities) would be more than acceptable in the dining rooms while dining with his family. Have fun!!

On the March 6th GEM cruise, my wife and i both wore jeans into the MDR without a problem. But we did see a woman being refused entry because she was wearing shorts to dinner in the MDR. She wasn't thrilled to say the least.

On the March 6th GEM cruise, my wife and i both wore jeans into the MDR without a problem. But we did see a woman being refused entry because she was wearing shorts to dinner in the MDR. She wasn't thrilled to say the least.

Shorts are OK at breakfast and lunch in MDR. Dinner is the only time that they are asking for proper dinner attire.

Shorts are OK at breakfast and lunch in MDR. Dinner is the only time that they are asking for proper dinner attire.

You are correct. I just never think about going to the MDR for anything other than dinner, that it slipped my mind.

When we cruised on the Sky in 12/09, I seem to remember men being permitted to wear shorts in just one of the two main dining rooms.

I don't want to get slammed here either, but since the menu is the same in both, I think this is a good idea...... PROVIDED the shorts are neat, not too short, etc.

Many people like to cruise because they have this opportunity to dress up and others choose to be casual and comfortable. Thankfully, there are cruiselines that cater to both.

:eek:

Where do you get breakfast and lunch?

Since I have two little kids, my wife and I usually sit with our kids in the Kid's section of the buffet with the tv. When it's nice out, we'll usually eat either at The Great Outdoors or Topsiders. Once we went to the Blue Lagoon for lunch as well.

Archived