Wine Tours out of Santiago

LibLively

Has anyone done a wine tour to Concha y Toro, Cousino Macul, Undurraga or Santa Carolina from Santiago? My husband and I enjoy fine wine and have done wine tours in Napa Valley and Bordeaux, and would like to sample some Chilean wine on our trip. Any recs from anyone who has gone to any of these vineyards would be appreciated. Has anyone done this with a driver and guide?

I fly to Santiago again next week on business and I will ask around. My business involves logistics planning for imported wines and Thompson seedless grapes in season and I have spent a lot of time in the wine growing regions. Never thought about an organized tour, as the farmers and exporters have always shown me around. I will ask one of my associates in Santiago and let you know what I found out.

Gina

Acrusa - hope you don't mind. I'm doing a copy/paste here of your post on the SS board. Thanks for the info - Concho Y Toro sounds wonderful.

Julie

We did the Concho Y Toro wine tour last year.Very interesting and quit good.The winery is on a big estate,magnificant gardens.They took you around to diffrent parts of the estate,and at each stop, would do a wine tasting amougst the gardens.You walked thru the whole way.Like being on a guided wine tasting tour.Very diffrent then just going into a big type barn and doing the wine tasting.Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We just got back from our cruise to SA. We stayed in Santiago for 3 days

post cruise at Hotel Torremayer. We used the services of Hilda Cerda for

our tours. She had a 6 hour tour to Concha Y Toro for $60pp plus admission

to the winery ($6 includes a wine glass) and lunch was extra. She does the

driving and did have a guide who speaks good English. She picked us up

at the hotel. She has a lists of tours that she does in the area and would

probably do just a winery tour for you. The winery is awesome, walking along

tree line paths and sampling one white wine and two reds. No pressure to

buy any of the wine either. The barrel room is interesting. She can be reached by email at hildacerda@hotmail.com. She will send you her tours.

She was very good at returning my emails, answering my questions, and

providing us with lots of information. Although her Engish is OK there is

room for improvement. She does not require any prepayment for any of her

tours.

Hope this helps. Clare Husted

• 1 month later...

I recommend a visit to the Santa Rita Winery. Call them in advance or e-mail your hotel's concierge to make reservations for visit & lunch at their restaurant located in a historic mansion. Beautiful gardens with gigant buganvilia trees. Have a botle of wine and empanadas in the courtyard before lunch.

You can hire a driver also thru the Concierge at your hotel. Normally they have two size cars to hire. Request the smaller Peugeot or similar and save some money. Tell them to take you the long way and return by the main highway.

Paco

• 2 months later...

How much does the private driver cost if you book through the hotel concierge? We are booked at the Ritz Carlton for 3 nights in January and would love to spend a day at the vineyards.

Thanks.

E-mail the concierge and ask him to price the trip with the smaller peugeot. It is big enough.

If i recall it was cheaper than taking the mini bus tour.

Santa Rita has beautiful gardens and a great restaurant in an old mansion. The concierge has to make your lunch reservation.

Tell the driver to take you close to the mountains on the way up and down the main road returning.

If you arrive early morning at the Ritz and the room is not ready you can freshen up at their spa at no charge.

Have a great trip!

Paco

Has anyone done a wine tour to Concha y Toro, Cousino Macul, Undurraga or Santa Carolina from Santiago? My husband and I enjoy fine wine and have done wine tours in Napa Valley and Bordeaux, and would like to sample some Chilean wine on our trip. Any recs from anyone who has gone to any of these vineyards would be appreciated. Has anyone done this with a driver and guide?

This past March I went to Cousino Macul. Not very far out if time is at a premium but was not impressed with the tour or wine.

Joanne

We have a friend where we live that grew up in Chile (Santiago), and married a son of a missionary, and I have gathered from past conversations that driving in and around Santiago is not bad. Of course, she grew up there. I will ask her specifically next week when we go to a bar that does latin dancing with her and her hubby. I am a dreadful dancer. :o

jc

Archived