River cruise April 2011 - which one?

cigloo

We are going to be in Europe for a conference in April of 2011 and wanted to do a cruise in the Scandanvian and that area. Unfortunately no one does anything at that time of the year due to weather.

So we are looking at a Uniworld River cruise and can't decide which itineary to do. We like the Douro River and also Danube.

Any suggestions for a cruise?

Thanks in advance!

Jennifer

Have you checked to see if any Russian cruises go in April, since you ll be so close? That one was great, so scenic and historic...But, the Portugal was great also...really beautiful area, wonderful small towns, one of my top 5 rivercruises, and have been on MANY....Not to say Danube one not wonderful, but not as scenic to me..some areas somewhat Industrial...Not the green rolling hills and olive trees down the river in the Douro cruise...so all are great, just some GREATER, right??? Let us know what you choose...just remember, can go the next year on the other choice:)

We are going to be in Europe for a conference in April of 2011 and wanted to do a cruise in the Scandanvian and that area. Unfortunately no one does anything at that time of the year due to weather.

So we are looking at a Uniworld River cruise and can't decide which itineary to do. We like the Douro River and also Danube.

Any suggestions for a cruise?

Thanks in advance!

Jennifer

Indeed cruises to Scandinavia start beginning of May at the earliest. It still can be rather chilly.

Weatherwise I think Portugal would be best.

In April there is a small risk to highwater along the Danube.

Hi Jennifer,

Take a look at Hurtigruten. They use small ships and sail the Norwegian coast at the time of year you are looking at.

Here's a link:

http://www.hurtigruten.com/norway/Voyages/Select-your-own-ports1/Ruteplan/

Joe

Where is the conference? I vote for you to take your first river cruise on a Rhine/Mosel River cruise. The castles along the Rhine and the winding river past the vineyards and villages of the Mosel will blow you away. Also, the cruises tend to leave near major cities such as Frankfurt or even Amsterdam which have easy air or rail connections.

Where is the conference? I vote for you to take your first river cruise on a Rhine/Mosel River cruise. The castles along the Rhine and the winding river past the vineyards and villages of the Mosel will blow you away. Also, the cruises tend to leave near major cities such as Frankfurt or even Amsterdam which have easy air or rail connections.

I agree.

The Danube and the Douro are VERY different cruises. On a Danube cruise you will visit many larger cities offering lots to do and see. Some of the stops on the Douro visit towns so small that they are just villages.

The scenery on the Douro is breathtaking, the Danuble is more industrial.

I think for a first time cruise, the Danuble or Rhine would be a better choice with more to see and do. Just MHO.

Sharon

At that time of year I'd definately be heading to Portugal.

My last river cruise was from Amsterdam at the end of April, with a pre-cruise stay in Paris. The weather was horrible for the entire time.

Rain, wind and cold.

I think that you'd have a better chance at a little nicer weather in Portugal.

Through some research (because we're going Budapest to Amsterdam) you should be aware that the canal locks are usually closed for maintenance and upgrading for a couple of weeks in April.

The Main-Danube canal is 100 Km long and has something like 26 locks going over the continental divide.

The cruise companies will bus you around the canal if are closed.

Hope you find something, I know you will enjoy it.

Our first river cruise is in May - Amsterdam to Basel. It's a short cruise so if we hate it (don't think we will but one never knows), it's not an eternity!. And that's why we picked it, plus I love Germany anyways.

Although I've never been on a Uniworld Cruise we almost selected them. I originally spoke with a Uniworld Rep and was very impressed with them, however Avalon has some features we liked better.

Good luck on your decision. Hope you do a little research so you pick the right one for you! There are a lot of knowledgeable river cruisers on this MB so keep reading.

Archived