How long does it take to get reimbursed when you file a claim w/ the travel ins?

Scootch

We had to cancel our 3/20 Liberty sailing due to my husband being deployed to Haiti.

Does anyone have an idea of how long it takes the ins. co. to pay the claim? I've read some claims have paid in a few weeks. Our TA said that there may be a back log in processing claims due to a hight volume of claims that were filed in February due to the bad weather issues.

Thank you!

I think it would depend upon which insurance you have. My suggestion would be to call the number on your policy and ask them how long it takes after you have forwarded all the necessary info.

I thought there was a 30 day clause in some insurances, but I don't know about all. Good luck.

I think it would depend upon which insurance you have. My suggestion would be to call the number on your policy and ask them how long it takes after you have forwarded all the necessary info.

I thought there was a 30 day clause in some insurances, but I don't know about all. Good luck.

I do realize that calling is the simplest way to get an answer. I could not find any wording on the paperwork or their website which provided any guidance to my question.

Thanks!

Guest cadd4u

I am curious if you are covered for that because we were going to sail with my brother who is supposed to be on r&r but that could always change. I asked the insurance company about that and said that would not be a covered event.

We had to cancel our 3/20 Liberty sailing due to my husband being deployed to Haiti.

Does anyone have an idea of how long it takes the ins. co. to pay the claim? I've read some claims have paid in a few weeks. Our TA said that there may be a back log in processing claims due to a hight volume of claims that were filed in February due to the bad weather issues.

Thank you!

Scootch - Which Insurance/Policy do you have? ken

I am curious if you are covered for that because we were going to sail with my brother who is supposed to be on r&r but that could always change. I asked the insurance company about that and said that would not be a covered event.

I didn't hear this w/ my own ears, but.....

Per our TA, when she called she was told:

-if he is going for disaster relief - it is covered. (which this one is)

-if he is going to war - it is NOT covered. :eek:

If it wasn't for our Military, none of us would be safe to travel. I sure hope this isn't the case or that the agent ffrom the travel ins had this wrong......my husband has been deployed 6 times since 9/11.

Hi Ken -

It is Berkley. I didn't post previously because I wasn't sure if it was a no-no to do on the boards.

It's OK to mention Insurance.

Carnival themselves (not necessarily the Insurance) will work with you re Military cancellations. See Below!

Cancellation Policy: Military Personnel

The following is our cancellation policy for Military Personnel. Due to the nature of the cancellation, special consideration will be extended to Military Personnel.

• <LI style="mso-list: l3 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in" class=MsoNormal>Military guests who cancel their cruise vacation because they are called to duty or their leave has been canceled are eligible for a future cruise credit.
  • If immediate family members are traveling with the Military guest in separate cabins, they can cancel their cabin as well – same policy applies. Immediate family is considered: Father; Mother; Husband; Wife; Brother; Sister; Children.

• <LI style="mso-list: l2 level1 lfo6; tab-stops: list .5in" class=MsoNormal>Future cruise credits will be valid on all departures. The guest must book and sail within 2 years from the cancellation date. If the rebooked cruise is less expensive, the guest will receive the difference as an onboard credit.
  • In order to receive the future cruise credit, guests are required to submit copies of their orders to Carnival and fax to Guest Admin at: 305 406-6477, or mail to:

Carnival Cruise Lines

ATT: Guest Admin / MSGA-457s

3655 NW 87 Avenue

Miami, FL 33178-2428

let us know the results?

Ken

Thank you!

I filed a claim with Berkley last summer, and received a check within 10 days or so. The agent told me initially when I filed the claim it might take a month.

It's OK to mention Insurance.

Carnival themselves (not necessarily the Insurance) will work with you re Military cancellations. See Below!

Cancellation Policy: Military Personnel

The following is our cancellation policy for Military Personnel. Due to the nature of the cancellation, special consideration will be extended to Military Personnel.

• <LI style="mso-list: l3 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in" class=MsoNormal>Military guests who cancel their cruise vacation because they are called to duty or their leave has been canceled are eligible for a future cruise credit.
  • If immediate family members are traveling with the Military guest in separate cabins, they can cancel their cabin as well – same policy applies. Immediate family is considered: Father; Mother; Husband; Wife; Brother; Sister; Children.

• <LI style="mso-list: l2 level1 lfo6; tab-stops: list .5in" class=MsoNormal>Future cruise credits will be valid on all departures. The guest must book and sail within 2 years from the cancellation date. If the rebooked cruise is less expensive, the guest will receive the difference as an onboard credit.
  • In order to receive the future cruise credit, guests are required to submit copies of their orders to Carnival and fax to Guest Admin at: 305 406-6477, or mail to:

Carnival Cruise Lines

ATT: Guest Admin / MSGA-457s

3655 NW 87 Avenue

Miami, FL 33178-2428

let us know the results?

Ken

Thank you for this valuable information!

I will post an outcome.

I filed a claim with Berkley last summer, and received a check within 10 days or so. The agent told me initially when I filed the claim it might take a month.

Thank you. I mailed it certified and they signed for it on 2/22 so it's not like it has been a few months. I'm sure you can appreciate that we are just concerned about getting our $ back.

Thank you. I mailed it certified and they signed for it on 2/22 so it's not like it has been a few months. I'm sure you can appreciate that we are just concerned about getting our $ back.

Scootch - Be aware, the info I sent you is not the BerkelyCare Trip Protection - this is Carnival directly taking care of the military independent of having Trip Protection. If you get denied by your BerkelyCare claim, you'll want to pursue this path! ken

REPUTATION ~~!!!! It is NOT beneficial to Berkley to deny a claim. Everyone I talk to has had no problems with being paid on claims... If they insure 500 people at $50.00 that is $ 25,000.oo per ship per week. If one takes CCL entire fleet over 50 ships X 25,00.oo that is one million, 250 thousand dollars weekly. For 1 month 5 million in premiums. They definitely want to keep a pristine reputation of paying claims timely...

A few negative post of non-payment of claims on CC and that $5,000,000.oo in monthly premiums would be jeopardized. I have read over 1,000 post all saying "take travel insurance" and I cannot remember anyone advising against it.

REPUTATION ~~!!!! I have read over 1,000 post all saying "take travel insurance" and I cannot remember anyone advising against it.

I can't imagine that anyone would advise a complete stranger against buying insurance -- that would just be irresponsible as its impossible to fully know what that other person's situation is. But there are many valid reasons why a person who is fully informed as to what these policies do and do not cover and the costs of this coverage would choose not to buy it.

Scootch - Be aware, the info I sent you is not the BerkelyCare Trip Protection - this is Carnival directly taking care of the military independent of having Trip Protection. If you get denied by your BerkelyCare claim, you'll want to pursue this path! ken

I did see that, thanks Ken!

I did what I needed to do and I called Berkley today. I was told that my claim was payable and that right now it is just going through the normal processes of verifying payment was made to CCL.

The Customer Service at Berkley was fabulous. I was told to call back if I had any other questions or concerns.

Once check is in hand, I can re-book Liberty for 7/3!!

Thanks for your help. I was so worried that I was not only going to lose out on my cruise, but lots of $.

I did see that, thanks Ken!

I did what I needed to do and I called Berkley today. I was told that my claim was payable and that right now it is just going through the normal processes of verifying payment was made to CCL.

The Customer Service at Berkley was fabulous. I was told to call back if I had any other questions or concerns.

Once check is in hand, I can re-book Liberty for 7/3!!

Thanks for your help. I was so worried that I was not only going to lose out on my cruise, but lots of $.

You did GOOD! I think in your situation you would have (deservedly) received your money via either path! good Luck!!! ken

Archived