Need Advice - Jewel of The Seas- Boston to Caribbean

Just wondering if anyones done this repositioning cruise- (30 october - boston, st sthomas, st maarten, dominica, barbados, aruba, curacao, fll)

Im looking at taking the Jewel Of the Seas from Boston all the way down to Aruba, and then staying on Aruba for a few days, instead of returning to Fort Lauderdale.

This is by far the most comvenient cruise itinerary ever because I need to periodically visit Boston for my family, Aruba for my wifes family, and it stops in St Maarten where I live. Also Ive never been to Dominica -which is supposed to be the most beautiful nature island, and Barbados- the home of my favorite rums.

I loved the Oasis, and it looks like the jewel has a lot of the same spots and features (minus the flowrider)

Im looking for any general advice about the jewel of the seas, and also:

Does the jewel have anything comparable to boleros?

What services do they have for a 2 year old- royal tots etc?

whats 4 days sailing south on the east coast in late october like- can you see the shore as you cruise south at all- which side has the best balcony views?

I haven't been on the Jewel, but DH and I did to a 9 night cruise on her sister ship, the Brilliance. I also haven't been on an Oasis class ship yet, but I have been on Freedom and Voyager class ships. From that I can tell you that the Jewel will be very different from you experienced on the Oasis. DH and I absolutely loved, loved, loved the Brilliance, but that was due largely to the people and the itinerary, rather than the ship herself. Yes, that class of ships is beautiful, but if you're looking for big "wow" attractions, I'm not sure you'll be pleased. If you're looking for a beautiful, relaxing ship with a covered solarium, then you'll be quite pleased.

With regards to the programs for your little one, only the Genesis class ships (Oasis and Allure) have a real Royal Tots program where you can drop your child under three off at the nursery. Only children 3 yrs and above are accepted into Adventure Ocean, but you would be able to do in-cabin babysitting if you choose to. We're taking our daughter on her first cruise in December on the Allure. She'll only be 15 months old at the time, which is why we chose that class of ship, which will allow us to drop her off at the nursery a few times so we can have some quiet/adult time.

Just wondering if anyones done this repositioning cruise- (30 october - boston, st sthomas, st maarten, dominica, barbados, aruba, curacao, fll)

Im looking at taking the Jewel Of the Seas from Boston all the way down to Aruba, and then staying on Aruba for a few days, instead of returning to Fort Lauderdale.

This is by far the most comvenient cruise itinerary ever because I need to periodically visit Boston for my family, Aruba for my wifes family, and it stops in St Maarten where I live. Also Ive never been to Dominica -which is supposed to be the most beautiful nature island, and Barbados- the home of my favorite rums.

I loved the Oasis, and it looks like the jewel has a lot of the same spots and features (minus the flowrider)

Im looking for any general advice about the jewel of the seas, and also:

Does the jewel have anything comparable to boleros?

What services do they have for a 2 year old- royal tots etc?

whats 4 days sailing south on the east coast in late october like- can you see the shore as you cruise south at all- which side has the best balcony views?

There is a very active roll call thread for this cruise that I invite you to check out. This is a longer repositioning cruise than the Jewel has usually done from Boston and visits a number of different islands on its itinerary. We have done the Jewel repos for several years now and it is very popular with lots of returning cruisers and a full schedule of activities for CCers who join the rest of us Royal Jewels for this journey. Many of your questions can be answered by someone on the thread but as far as leaving the ship in Aruba, you will need to contact Royal Caribbean to make the necessary arrangements and see if there are any special costs involved in doing what you suggest. Don't expect to see much, if any, of the coast as you sail down the eastern seaboard and the weather and sea conditions that you encounter can vary from year to year. Two years ago we experienced very rough seas on the initial leg of the trip. Afterwards, however, the seas were calm and peaceful. Jewel is a beautiful ship and the solarium allows you to enjoy the pool regardless of the weather. We especially enjoy having breakfast in the open air aft section of the Windjammer. Join us on the roll call and on the cruise.

Great, Thanks NegC and Beth

I am sure it will be fun, I love boats in general,and compared to my 25 footer, the jewel is pretty big boat. Im going to call RCI and try work out a good price and room for this one.

my son will 22 months old by then, so maybe if hes talking and potty training by then, I can tell them hes three- (right now he is 14 months and bigger than most 2 year olds- so well see). too bad they dont start setting up a royal tots program on these ships- it was very nice both for us to have some quiet time, and for the kid to interact with other kids his age.

Great, Thanks NegC and Beth

I am sure it will be fun, I love boats in general,and compared to my 25 footer, the jewel is pretty big boat. Im going to call RCI and try work out a good price and room for this one.

my son will 22 months old by then, so maybe if hes talking and potty training by then, I can tell them hes three- (right now he is 14 months and bigger than most 2 year olds- so well see). too bad they dont start setting up a royal tots program on these ships- it was very nice both for us to have some quiet time, and for the kid to interact with other kids his age.

I really wish this would work out for you, but I'm sorry to say that it won't. They will have your sons true age on the cruise documents, and each of the kids clubs actually have a list of the children that are the correct ages and allowed into each club.

I really wish this would work out for you, but I'm sorry to say that it won't. They will have your sons true age on the cruise documents, and each of the kids clubs actually have a list of the children that are the correct ages and allowed into each club.

I agree. What you are hoping to do won't be possible since they will have your son's age on the record, and as much as we all want to believe that our children are really advanced for their age, you won't be doing the child or the others in the program any favors by trying to fudge things and put him in a program he really isn't ready for. You should, however, take advantage of their in-room baby sitting program so that you and your wife can have an occasional night out while you are onboard. There is a charge for the service but probably not more than you would pay at home for a qualified babysitter.:)

I agree. What you are hoping to do won't be possible since they will have your son's age on the record, and as much as we all want to believe that our children are really advanced for their age, you won't be doing the child or the others in the program any favors by trying to fudge things and put him in a program he really isn't ready for. You should, however, take advantage of their in-room baby sitting program so that you and your wife can have an occasional night out while you are onboard. There is a charge for the service but probably not more than you would pay at home for a qualified babysitter.:)

OK, fine, I promise I probably wont accidently mistake a 2008 for a 2006 :) -The i- room babysitter sounds good but I dont know how happy he'd be "trapped" in the room...

OK, fine, I promise I probably wont accidently mistake a 2008 for a 2006 :) -The i- room babysitter sounds good but I dont know how happy he'd be "trapped" in the room...

You do know that you'll need a passport for him, or at the very least a birth certificate. Unfortunately, no matter how hard you try, you can't fudge the year he was born! :D

You do know that you'll need a passport for him, or at the very least a birth certificate. Unfortunately, no matter how hard you try, you can't fudge the year he was born! :D

Just booked this cruise! $1809 is the balcony room on deck 7 per person, with the 3rd person (a tiny-tiny 3 year old!) for $579. Not sure if its a great rate or not- Im not the best at finding a deal.

I might want to switch to deck 10 though, for $100 more total... not sure yet, I still have to read the old forums to find which deck is the best place to have a room...

Just booked this cruise! $1809 is the balcony room on deck 7 per person, with the 3rd person (a tiny-tiny 3 year old!) for $579. Not sure if its a great rate or not- Im not the best at finding a deal.

I might want to switch to deck 10 though, for $100 more total... not sure yet, I still have to read the old forums to find which deck is the best place to have a room...

Awesome! Have are going to have a wonderful time!

Archived