Help- Which cruise to take late April 2010-

Fourseventeen

Tossed up between 2 cruises...wanting to surprise my wife for her birthday the last week in April. We have taken 5 other cruises in the past all with Carnival.

1. Carnival Dream out of Orlando to Nassau Bahamas, St Maarten and St Thomas. 7 day.

2. Carnival Glory out of Miami to Half Moon Cay Bahamas, St Thomas, San Juan Puerto Rico and Grand Turk. 7 day.

Both cruises run pretty close to the same price so the money isnt the issue though flying into Orlando from Phoenix is about $250.00 cheaper then flying into Miami from what I am finding so far.

Is the Carnival Dream really a better ship then the Glory? I have been on the Valor...I think that is the same class ship as the Glory but I have heard the Dream is amazing.

I am really wanting to go to the Bahamas...always had a trip to Nassau in our plans for the future but we have also wanted to do Grand Turk. I am sooo tossed up on which cruise to book this week. How does Half Moon Cay compare to Nassau?

If anyone has taken one of these 2 cruises or visited these ports and can say anything good or bad about this cruise or these ports I would appreciate it. Or better yet if you have taken both cruises...which did you like better.

My wife and I are active...very active, love sight seeing, love the water, love shopping and dinning. We are ok with a relaxing day or an adventerous day...hopefully a good mix of both.

sorry so many questions. Hope you all can help make this choice a little easier.

Yeah I flew into FLL the last time we did the Caribbean and then hired a private car to get us to port...saved us a few bucks over flying into Miami. On this trip im looking at now the price difference was only about 60.00 less to fly into FLL for the 2 of us...so for that I would just fly into Miami.

Egon, Yes I hear St Maartin is gorgeous.

Sue, Have you been to both Half Moon Cay and Nassau?

Yeah I flew into FLL the last time we did the Caribbean and then hired a private car to get us to port...saved us a few bucks over flying into Miami. On this trip im looking at now the price difference was only about 60.00 less to fly into FLL for the 2 of us...so for that I would just fly into Miami.

Egon, Yes I hear St Maartin is gorgeous.

Sue, Have you been to both Half Moon Cay and Nassau?

I know you asked Sue, but Iv been to all these ports, though I cant remember which two of the private beaches Iv been to. I think some hotel like Atlantis blows away the private islands which to me were just a beach and not much else to do the ship controlled, so everything had to be booked thru the ship.

There are beautiful beaches everywhere. The one on St. Marteen is a nude beach but its a beautifull beach. We did Koki Beach in St. Thomas and hung with the locals and I wouldnt trade you even for the private beach, the other was a huge amount of fun and cheap to snorkle.

Tossed up between 2 cruises...wanting to surprise my wife for her birthday the last week in April. We have taken 5 other cruises in the past all with Carnival.

1. Carnival Dream out of Orlando to Nassau Bahamas, St Maarten and St Thomas. 7 day.

2. Carnival Glory out of Miami to Half Moon Cay Bahamas, St Thomas, San Juan Puerto Rico and Grand Turk. 7 day.

Both cruises run pretty close to the same price so the money isnt the issue though flying into Orlando from Phoenix is about $250.00 cheaper then flying into Miami from what I am finding so far.

Is the Carnival Dream really a better ship then the Glory? I have been on the Valor...I think that is the same class ship as the Glory but I have heard the Dream is amazing.

I am really wanting to go to the Bahamas...always had a trip to Nassau in our plans for the future but we have also wanted to do Grand Turk. I am sooo tossed up on which cruise to book this week. How does Half Moon Cay compare to Nassau?

If anyone has taken one of these 2 cruises or visited these ports and can say anything good or bad about this cruise or these ports I would appreciate it. Or better yet if you have taken both cruises...which did you like better.

My wife and I are active...very active, love sight seeing, love the water, love shopping and dinning. We are ok with a relaxing day or an adventerous day...hopefully a good mix of both.

sorry so many questions. Hope you all can help make this choice a little easier.

Well, been on both ships and to all the listed ports. The conservative side of me says save money (airfare) and go with The Dream. The tilt, however, is San Juan. If you've never been there, and the staying time in the port is decent, it is just a really great place to walk around and soak up the culture, architecture, forts, cathedral, narrow streets with shops, picturesque setting.

Thanks for the responses guys and gals I appreciate the help. And please continue to pour them into until I book my cruise this weekend :)

So San Juan is a place worth visiting you think? Someone else had told me not to waste my time getting off the ship in Puerto Rico...but of coarse I will get off the ship! I like to explore and see new things and other cultures.

Going on the dream would save me about 250.00 but I wouldnt get to PR or to Turks. So the price isnt going to sway me either way to be honest. We all know how cruises are....your gonna spend more then you had planned anyway so I am not going to worry about the money aspect until I get home from the trip LOL.

Procruise... did you favor one of the ships over the other?

I was in Half Moon Cay and Nassau last October with my then 10 year old. I take all fall cruises with my child, May cruises with adults only. We rented a cabana and loved the whole day. I was so sick that day also. My whole side of my face was swollen from a tooth problem. I still was one of the last to leave the island. I did not care how I felt, I was not leaving until I had to. ;) In Nassau, we went to Atlantis. My daughters idea. It was nice, glad I did it, but will not go back. Atlantis is one of those places I think every one should experience, but there is no need to go back. Next time I will probably just stay on the ship.

Grand Turk we did the flowrider. That was fun! The pool area at Grand Turk is beautiful.

PS I would not care if I ever went back to Nassau.

Good Luck in your decision.

Thanks for the responses guys and gals I appreciate the help. And please continue to pour them into until I book my cruise this weekend :)

So San Juan is a place worth visiting you think? Someone else had told me not to waste my time getting off the ship in Puerto Rico...but of coarse I will get off the ship! I like to explore and see new things and other cultures.

Going on the dream would save me about 250.00 but I wouldnt get to PR or to Turks. So the price isnt going to sway me either way to be honest. We all know how cruises are....your gonna spend more then you had planned anyway so I am not going to worry about the money aspect until I get home from the trip LOL.

Hey, to each his own. I'm really into photography and some of my most prized pictures are from the old city in San Juan.

We really enjoyed the size of The Glory but if you go The Dream, we highly recommend a slightly forward, cove balcony. We were in #2309 and loved it-very different feel than a regular balcony that we've always had on all our other cruises.

Aren't choices fun!!!!

Either one is a great cruise. I've done the Glory itinerary on the Freedom and had a great time.

But, I say choose the Dream, as we'll get to meet you guys. :D

Whichever one you choose, you will not be disappointed.

Joanne

ok you guys are making this tougher ha ha.

I to am highly into photography (its a side business of mine I have been doing for about 10 years)

Nassau I have wanted to do just to see Atlantis but I have heard nice things about Half Moon Cay.

ok you guys are making this tougher ha ha.

I to am highly into photography (its a side business of mine I have been doing for about 10 years)

Nassau I have wanted to do just to see Atlantis but I have heard nice things about Half Moon Cay.

Don't pick your cruise just to see Atlantis. You will be disappointed.

oh no my cruise wouldnt be booked just on atlantis...id fly there if that was the case lol. Just liked the idea that one of the stops was to that island.

what to do what to do

starting to sway a little more towards the Glory cruise. BUT then I will miss the opportunity to be on the Dream. Is the Dream really much nicer then the Glory?

either one is a great cruise. I've done the glory itinerary on the freedom and had a great time.

but, i say choose the dream, as we'll get to meet you guys. :d

whichever one you choose, you will not be disappointed.

Joanne

ditto:

You may also want to consider this when making your decision:

Ships in port with Glory:

Half Moon Cay - only ship

St. Thomas - Freedom of the Seas

San Juan - only ship

Grand Turk - Emerald Princess

http://cruisett.com/ships.php?ShipID=45&date=20

Ships in port with Dream:

Nassau - Majesty of the Seas

St. Thomas - Carnival Freedom, Royal Princess, Oasis of the Seas -total of 13,434 passengers :eek:

St. Martin - Emerald Princess, Sea Princess, Oasis of the Seas - total of 14,076 passengers :eek:

http://cruisett.com/ships.php?ShipID=39&date=20

I have been to all these ports. My choice would be Glory, for the combination of ports and not being in port with Oasis of the Seas

I'm finding 279 roundtrip from Phoenix to Miami, did you try that web site named after the little boat where two people paddle?;) Look around, I fly back and forth between Fort Myers and Phoenix and know you can find good airfares. I personally think half moon cay is amazing!

KroozFoolz just made my decission! Thats really helpful info there!

Glory it is!

Now for the airfare. I have been checking the little boat with paddles site lol. Speaking of which...never again will we go Kayaking! We did this at one of our ports of call and WOW did that ever test our new marriage to the limits! LOL. Anyway I am trying to find a flight that leaves on the 24th out of Phoenix and arrives in Florida (miami or FLL) in the AM of the 25th so that we do not need a hotel in Florida the night before the cruise. Then of coarse fly out the same day the ship returns to port May 2nd in the afternoon or early evening. This is what we did on our last cruise and it worked out well.

I will continue to look for the flight with the best price and I will call Carnival tomorrow to make sure they have a nice room for us available.

KroozFoolz just made my decission! Thats really helpful info there!

Glory it is!

Now for the airfare. I have been checking the little boat with paddles site lol. Speaking of which...never again will we go Kayaking! We did this at one of our ports of call and WOW did that ever test our new marriage to the limits! LOL. Anyway I am trying to find a flight that leaves on the 24th out of Phoenix and arrives in Florida (miami or FLL) in the AM of the 25th so that we do not need a hotel in Florida the night before the cruise. Then of coarse fly out the same day the ship returns to port May 2nd in the afternoon or early evening. This is what we did on our last cruise and it worked out well.

I will continue to look for the flight with the best price and I will call Carnival tomorrow to make sure they have a nice room for us available.

Ah, I see you already made the right decision :D

I'll be on the Glory on the 25th as well.

I was on Destiny the same time last year, on the Nassau / Half Moon Cay / Grand Turk itinerary.

Nassau was weird - it didn't "feel" safe, was dusty and dirty, just not a great place to be for us (me and my wife). We walked around and found a small museum, so we enjoyed ourselves, but really don't need to go back there.

Half Moon Cay has the best beach I've ever seen. Even on postcards. We did the Stingray Encounter, which was cool but not really worth it. That's a day to just sit around on the fine white sand beach and putter around in the water. A friend and I swam out halfway to the ship with snorkels (a police boat came along telling us to go back to shore), and I could clearly see a sand dollar on the bottom - about 15 feet down. That's how clear the water was.

Grand Turk was great as well. We did the dive/instruction for beginners, which was fantastic.

We're not shoppers or drinkers, so ports that have yet another Margaritaville or Diamonds International tend to be useless to us. I'll go anywhere once, but after that I have to like it :)

I'm looking forward to St. Thomas - I gather the beaches there are on par with Half Moon Cay.

- Steve

Archived