Third person rates

chachi

I have been searching for a short 4 or 5 day cruise and I like RCCs itinerary. I am already going on two shorter cruises on Carnival in April and August and would like to do a different one. There will be three of us. When I search for a cruise it will give me a price for the date I am interested in. Once I put in that I want 3 people to the room, the original price goes up for the first two passangers, and then is lower for the third passenger. Why is that? I have sailed with 3 people on Carnival, and the third person is always lower, but they never raise the price for the first to passengers. Why would they do this? What is the point of having a third person lower rate then?

It might be because the lower rate is for a lower category of cabin which only accomodates 2 people. Once you add the third person, you need to move to a higher category cabin to get one that holds 3-4 people, and the fares for that one is slightly higher too.

Most likely you are going up a category or two to get to one that holds 3 people. Not all categories do, so if you are pricing say and N inside, that does NOT hold 3 so you need to move up to the level that does. It really is not more expensive per se but you are now pricing a higher category. Hope it makes sense.

I have sailed with 3 people on Carnival, and the third person is always lower, but they never raise the price for the first to passengers. Why would they do this? What is the point of having a third person lower rate then?

Carnival is the same way. You have to specify a "3 person room". Which in most cases are more expensive for all passengers. But the 3rd person should be cheaper than the 1st&2nd.

-Heather

Royal has recently been changing all the cabin catigories so that if you want a cabin with an upper or a bed chesterfield that you have to go to the highest inside catigorie. I don't agree with it but it is the way they have been manipulating the catigories. Some times if you keep looking every day they offer some of the third passinger at a lower rate. I recently booked Liberty of the seas in an inside where the third person was only 250 and primary 2 people were 499 for a z guarenteee. If you tryed to put 4 people in the cabin you couldn't get the deal.

Sometimes too if you put a single person in a cabin on some of the time there is no single supplement. I sailed last fall on Monarch by my self for $119 with no supplement for a 4 day cruise.

It is still cheaper usually to get too inside or ocean view cabins ajoining than getting a family suite and you get as much space and two bathrooms.

Have a great cruise, and good luck

Brian J

In my experience unlike other cruise lines, Royal Caribbean has always charged third & fourth berths close to 75% of 1st & 2nd. If you can find a 4th to go with you, two cabins are generally cheaper, or at least the same, as 4 in a cabin.

Three people is challenging and often even with increased pricing for stateooms that can accomodate it, it is still cheaper than getting two rooms and paying the single supplement. The only time it worked out for us was Monarch, but doing the Liberty 3-nighter, it was cheaper doing a D1 Balcony for 3 with diamond discount.

I have sailed with 3 people on Carnival, and the third person is always lower, but they never raise the price for the first to passengers. Why would they do this? What is the point of having a third person lower rate then?

Carnival is the same way. You have to specify a "3 person room". Which in most cases are more expensive for all passengers. But the 3rd person should be cheaper than the 1st&2nd.

-Heather

I have done it on Carnival several times, and the first 2 passenger fares have never gone up when I put in three passengers. Maybe the category I was looking at held 3 people to begin with.

It might be because the lower rate is for a lower category of cabin which only accomodates 2 people. Once you add the third person, you need to move to a higher category cabin to get one that holds 3-4 people, and the fares for that one is slightly higher too.

That is probably what it is, thank you. I was looking at OV. I forgot that there are different levels within that.

Most likely you are going up a category or two to get to one that holds 3 people. Not all categories do, so if you are pricing say and N inside, that does NOT hold 3 so you need to move up to the level that does. It really is not more expensive per se but you are now pricing a higher category. Hope it makes sense.

Yes, it makes sense now, thank you. I was getting very frustrated with it.

what ship and sailing dates you looking for and I will try to help ya

Thanks for the offer. I am a teacher, and pretty much looking for the best deals during the summer, no particular date. After reading the posts, I understand the price increase.

Archived