Spirit versus Celebration

Hello,

can anyone tell me what the real differences between these two ships are?

I want to book, but cannot choose between the itinerary on each of them, Red sea magic or Pharaohs and the Promised Land? so thought I should compare the ships?

We want to travel in early April.

Any advice on either would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Ann.

Hi,

The actual layout of the 2 ships is identical, but from what i can gather the celebration is actually owned by Thomson, so have read reports that the staff are slightly better although i have never been on The Spirit

Hello,

can anyone tell me what the real differences between these two ships are?

I want to book, but cannot choose between the itinerary on each of them, Red sea magic or Pharaohs and the Promised Land? so thought I should compare the ships?

We want to travel in early April.

Any advice on either would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Ann.

Really as they are sister ships, there is very little difference indeed. Layout and public areas, cabins - you wouldn't know which you were on really.

The dining roon staff are Philippinos on Celebration (and fabulous) - a little more of a mix on Spirit - there was a time when we felt the atmosphere was not so quite as good on Spirit by comparison and would always have gone for Celebration over Spirit on that basis (but have travelled more on Celebration so a little more biased) - but last year we went on Spirit for the third time and it was great. Fabulous atmosphere, wonderful showteam and we came away saying we really hadn't got any particular preference anymore as we'd enjoyed Spirit so much. We're on Spirit again this summer.

I think there is a slightly more comprehensive list of drinks on AI on Celebration and also a longer selection of cocktails on the drinks menu - but these are not issues which would influence my choice. There is no popcorn offered on Spirit at the cinema and no midnight buffet either - but again not a big deal.

Both have the 'vibration' - it doesn't bother us - sometimes we've thought it worse on one than the other, then next time we go, we change our minds. So nothing there to influence our thinking.

Basically I'd try to decide which itinerary you think appeals more - think about the cost of excursions/whether you like to do, or can do, DiY trips at ports of call/distance to travel on trips/ease of access (walking to sites) etc. and anything else which could make a difference to you. And some of the reports just coming back from those who have just returned from the Pharaohs and Promised Land may help you alongside the many reports about the Red Sea itinerary.

They're both warm, friendly ships and attract lots of repeat passengers.

Enjoy whichever you decide :)

Kruzseeker,

we are on the Spirit for the first time in Aug having been on the Destiny and Celebration, pleased to hear your views as read a few people have criticised the Spirit a bit so was slightly worried

We have been on the Spirit twice and loved it and for the first time ever I disagree with Kruzseeker:) we love both ships but preferred the staff and the atmosphere on the Spirit. We did find the food better on the Celebration and the drinks package is slightly better but the Spirit is a great ship and I am sure you will enjoy it. We hope to be back on her next year.:)

Mary

I have been on both Spirit and Celebration and found both equally good with friendly crews etc. There are some physical differences

Kids club next to cinema on Celebration. A deck higher on spirit and a nice quite lounge/ meeting room in its place

Spa/gym etc layouts different

Physical arrangements in Lido better on Celebration with more seats where the inside Lido bar is on Spirit, both have the outside Lido bar.

Better choice of single cabins on Spirit with those on the starboard side/higher deck near the medical centre possibly quieter. They were being converted last summer form 2 single beds to one larger double and additional storage etc. I had two cabin stewards last summer, Tanya and Anastasia from the Ukraine who were great.

Spirit has owners suite next to horizons bar

The sound stages at the rear of the lido deck are slightly different.

Thats about it, nothing major

Hi,

The actual layout of the 2 ships is identical, but from what i can gather the celebration is actually owned by Thomson, so have read reports that the staff are slightly better although i have never been on The Spirit

Just out of curiousity, who owns the Spirit?

Just out of curiousity, who owns the Spirit?

Spirit is on charter from Louis Lines (also Destiny) - Thomson only sell cabins and Louis Lines do the contracting of crew/waiters/housekeeping etc. so in effect they are employed by Louis. However, Thomson employ the destinations staff, entertainments and I think, reception staff. Louis Management also get the proceeds from bar sales, excursions etc. (their name is on the tickets for trips).

On the other hand, Celebration (and the Dream in due course) are 'bare-boat' charters i.e. Thomson lease the ship then they, through agencies, hire the staff and crew. Thomson also get the profits from bar/excursion income. It's a technicality really but puts Thomson more directly in control of the personnel on board on these ships (at least that's my reading of it - but I stand to be corrected). To all intents and purposes I don't think there's much of a noticeable difference for passengers.

Cruiserhel - I think there are some drinks menus from the different ships which have been posted on here. If you doi a search in the 'Search this Forum' box and put in 'Drinks menu' or similar you may pull up the threads.

I'm no expert but I did think the selection wasn't as big on Spirit - especially cocktails and my favourite wasn't on the AI list on Spirit but was on Celebration. It's just little variations. But still plenty to go at - at least for me - and when it's free..............!!;)

We have been on the Spirit twice and loved it and for the first time ever I disagree with Kruzseeker:) we love both ships but preferred the staff and the atmosphere on the Spirit. We did find the food better on the Celebration and the drinks package is slightly better but the Spirit is a great ship and I am sure you will enjoy it. We hope to be back on her next year.:)

Mary

Hi Mary - don't mind a bit of healthy debate at all :) ! I must say, my reservations about Spirit dated back about 4 years - the first time we went on board there were quite a lot of European waiting staff and housekeeping who seemed to us a bit dour in comparison to the Filipino crew and that tipped our opinions towards Celebration. (Also, I think you tend to have a soft spot for the ship you first sailed on.) BUT, we have changed our minds and enjoyed Spirit last year every bit as much as any of our Celebration trips - the atmosphere on board was great and the rather less chatty european staff were equally warm and friendly on this trip. Whether they have changed a bit over the years, or we have who knows - but I agree with you Mary, we love both ships too and I'm very much looking forward to our next trip - on Spirit!! ;)

a few people have mentione dthe all inclusive is not as good on spirit, are the differences quite a bit or just marginal?

I know the Celebration AI includes Baileys and Southern comfort while it is a extra charge on the Spirit. Also I think the celebration has a few extra cocktails that the Spirit does not serve. However, the spirit still has a very good selection of Spirits, beers, and cocktails so it is no major show stopper.

Archived